Contest Rubric

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Contest Rubric

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:04 am

So given that there's a new contest coming, and considering that I haven't flamed some poor random staff member in too much time (namely joey; fuck you joey), I've thought about suggesting some kind of rubric in order to have consistency between the judges' reviews. This is mainly because everyone, undeniably, has different priorities. Some care about graphics more than others, some review the gameplay, and some actually make the musical choice have a massive impact on the final score for some reason. I'm sure those previous examples are merely hypothetical :mrgreen: , but still, I'd like to suggest the following to balance every rating out.

On a serious note, let's get started on each core point of a level: Visuals, Gameplay, Creativity, and Music, I'll be givin' them the value I believe they should have, and I'll try to justify my choices.

Music
Suggested Value: 10 points

While the music of a level is not exactly something that has a huge impact on the overall experience, it's still a factor that needs to be taken into account. A level can be much more enjoyable if there's some sick jams in the background, it adds a lot to the atmosphere and it can portray the main essence of the level. It can pump up the player to act quickly, or it can relax the player into taking their own time when travelling through an area. Of course, like I said, it's still not a big enough factor to have a very significant impact on the score.

Visuals
Suggested Value: 20 points

Keep in mind that a level does not need custom graphics to be good. However, that does not mean it can't be nice to the eyes. A bland landscape could make the level feel empty and soulless. Visuals are the first thing people are going to naturally judge a level for, because it can portray two things; the general ambience/objective of the level, and the amount of effort someone put into searching some unorganized graphics pack for 5 hours in order to find stuff that can be recolored (this effort still counts!).

Visuals do a great job of maintaining a player's interest, and to have them look forward to what the level has to offer. However, they're not as essential as the following points.

Gameplay
Suggested Value: 45 points

This is without a doubt the most important aspect of a level. Someone won't get to appreciate a level's creativity/artistic value if they can't be bothered to get past some awful level design, and most importantly, they won't have fun.

In my opinion, the funnest kinds of mario levels are the ones that let you just take your own pace, without being thrown into some crazy race against some instakill thing. That being said, it's obvious that everyone has different tastes, some judges could like speedrunning through a level while others would just love to finish a level while being at 100% on collectables. But while every judge has a subjective opinion of their own, they'll likely be similar to eachother, meaning that the gameplay should be good enough to balance each side out. After all, community contests are about determining which level can please people the most.

In short: Good level design is important when giving a level a good score.

Creativity
Suggested Value: 25 points

The reason this is independent to the Gameplay aspect of a level, is because a level can have some cool ideas behind them while still being garbage in terms of execution. There's definitely some great design concepts out there, however they may be astonishing in paper, but there's the chance that they just fell flat.

This is still an important factor to consider, because players can get excited when they get caught off guard (fairly) by some cool gimmick, meaning that they'll be motivated to continue their progress to see what the heck some lad has in store to surprise them.

However, It's probably the most subjective factor out of the rest, because some judges have experienced more gimmicks than others, meaning that some of them could give out a high score because it's new to them, while the rest could just go "meh i saw this ten billion years ago in another level", which is why it can't have too much of an impact on the overall score. But it's still objective enough to be relevant in a submission's rating.

TOTAL SCORE: 100 points

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'd like to hear your opinions on this. even if your suggestions involve shoving this concept up one of my orifices, I'd love to hear which one would be the best for that matter. Everyone's input counts! (except joey's, because fuCK JOey).

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Re: Contest Rubric

Postby Mosaic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:09 am

Woah, Sticky this NOW.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:33 am

Wait why is this sticky again?

That aside I still think judging music independently is completely ridiculous. I think the category "atmosphere" beautifully cancels out the need to judge it in isolation.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:41 am

I've already suggested to split Gameplay [Playing experience, accuracy, concept and thought, maybe Innovation too] and Scenery [Visuals, structuring, music, atmosphere] on a 3:2 ratio. It's not productive to go overboard with categories.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Current Project: You really think I'll finish one?
Chat Username: AirSeus

Postby AirSeus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:52 am

This needs to happen, it is so much less bias than the current system in place!
I dunno, something inspirational is supposed to go here so here I go:

Realize the difference between criticism and hate.
Criticism is direct feedback about the level that helps and tells you what you could do better and/or what you could expand upon.
Hate is direct insults towards you/your level that tell you nothing other than how bad you are.

AKA: Don't cry at every responce you get, just ignore hate and respond to criticism.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 am

We've already decided on the rubric for the next contest within the panel of judges and discussed it quite a bit. It's been finalized for a bit.

I don't really like Nien's rubric. It has nothing about level design (except in gameplay) and I don't think music needs its own category. Everything seems to be explained too extensively and has a lot of fluff, but it's also missing a lot of important stuff like difficulty curve

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 am

Do you feel free to reveal the rough line of thought already?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:20 am

Supershroom wrote:Do you feel free to reveal the rough line of thought already?
No. It'll be revealed when the contest is posted

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Whoops

Return to “General”