Your controversial SMBX opinion

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
User avatar
Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:50 pm
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 pm

This is probably just me reading through the first 3 pages and feeling nauseous doing so, but I feel I need to share this: The community is in a better spot than it was 3-4 years ago.

When looking back, it feels painful everytime I try to recall what occurred. It could be because the community was no longer fixated on making the same "switch-palace" levels, and those who made them were getting hated on.Thinking of how we're now able to have more creativity over repetitiveness, even during 2020, feels like progress. Back in those days, I can remember literal members of the community being defined because of their levels, and how well they were designed. For instance, WerewolfGD winning SVLC 2016 and most of the community flipping out. Then the insinuation that he shouldn't have won because "he made it how he's defined to making his levels." It felt disgusting because there was more of this than him getting praise or even properly critiquing his level.

Another thing is about gimmicks: A level doesn't need to have a gimmick to be outright fun. In fact, it's more of a matter of how fun the level is. I've noticed there are tend to be many levels that can be focused on a gimmick, or just letting the player have a good time. A while back, a level was apparently gonna be bad if it had no gimmick, and there were times where I felt pressured and even depressed because of it. Now, looking at how much better levels are, I feel there can be more new ideas developed uniquely rather than it being gimmick == good level. The same can be said about Lua 3-4 years ago, but it's upon personal experience.

I rarely talk about what happened in this forum 3-4 years ago except with 4 people.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Image
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6092
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:57 am

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 pm
I rarely talk about what happened in this forum 3-4 years ago except with 4 people.
And lemme guess, these 4 people are members of the SMBX community who are your forums friends?
Custom mega drive playable sprites
Mario RPG goals (62% completed)
My Pixiv
Best Quotes: show
Danny wrote:
Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 pm
No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 am
That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD

User avatar
CD20Superness
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby CD20Superness » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 am

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 pm
This is probably just me reading through the first 3 pages and feeling nauseous doing so, but I feel I need to share this: The community is in a better spot than it was 3-4 years ago.

When looking back, it feels painful everytime I try to recall what occurred. It could be because the community was no longer fixated on making the same "switch-palace" levels, and those who made them were getting hated on.Thinking of how we're now able to have more creativity over repetitiveness, even during 2020, feels like progress. Back in those days, I can remember literal members of the community being defined because of their levels, and how well they were designed. For instance, WerewolfGD winning SVLC 2016 and most of the community flipping out. Then the insinuation that he shouldn't have won because "he made it how he's defined to making his levels." It felt disgusting because there was more of this than him getting praise or even properly critiquing his level.

Another thing is about gimmicks: A level doesn't need to have a gimmick to be outright fun. In fact, it's more of a matter of how fun the level is. I've noticed there are tend to be many levels that can be focused on a gimmick, or just letting the player have a good time. A while back, a level was apparently gonna be bad if it had no gimmick, and there were times where I felt pressured and even depressed because of it. Now, looking at how much better levels are, I feel there can be more new ideas developed uniquely rather than it being gimmick == good level. The same can be said about Lua 3-4 years ago, but it's upon personal experience.

I rarely talk about what happened in this forum 3-4 years ago except with 4 people.
I agree, that's why 2016 is a toxic year. Also the reputation in SMWCentral from 2010 isn't that good as of now because when the moderators are rejecting the hacks, they are critiquing it rudely as possible unlike now, they are critiquing what to improve so the hack can be accepted. Sorry if it's Off-Topic but I'm telling the truth.

Also, I think people should use SMBX 2.0 instead of SMBX 1.4.
i'm a teenage boy who likes multitasking.

User avatar
Idunn
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Flair: Robotic

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Idunn » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:43 am

CD20Superness wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 am
.

Also, I think people should use SMBX 2.0 instead of SMBX 1.4.

Oh gee, haven’t see something like this in years.

Let people use what they want huh?

Yeah that’s very controversial.

BTW it’s X2 38A and Smr for future reference.
Please do not use any assets made for my Project! I will bring you to court if you do!

Kyasarin and Luminous were right all along!

Image

My Project:
Spoiler: show
Image
Projects that have my support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
skyhighway
Bit
Bit
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:48 am
Flair: hey i guess

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby skyhighway » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 pm

CD20Superness wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 am
Also, I think people should use SMBX 2.0 instead of SMBX 1.4.
Ah yes, and here we can find a pristine example of the classic "you should believe what I believe because I said so" argument. Truly a staple of 2016 teenagers who are too immature to think of a proper reason, or, even better, just let people use what they want. :thinking:
I do not care about who you believe in.
Image
Image
Image
and now for the shitposting: show
Quill wrote:Bowser was laughing because he had an AK-47 and Luigi didn't.
Knux wrote: I imagine that the theme for hell is just smb3 sky over and over again

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6683
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Cedur » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm

for the same reason I also dislike when people get worked up to emphasize "38A is not SMBX". It's correct to say "38A is not original SMBX", but by just saying "38A is not SMBX", it gives the vibe of "38A is illegitimate fake and you shouldn't use it" or something. Spreading this sentence creates more confusion than it resolves, and honestly many (spanish) people would still believe that 38A were the only original SMBX even if 38A never named it 1.4.

also SMR is definitely SMBX bc it's also backwards compatible
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:50 pm
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:52 pm

There really shouldn't be a staple as to which SMBX version should be used. It's not really as if any version is superior to the other; SMBX 2.0, 38A, and NSMBX all have their own communities and the engines have their own flaws. There is no 100% official follow up to SMBX's original engine, even if it took 9 years to get the source code. More or less:
Spoiler: show
Image
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Image
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

User avatar
Sumguy
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:29 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Sumguy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:30 am

A lot of the people who claim 2.0 is superior because of potential due to being based around the original code has not really proven a point to me. I appreciate the new characters, but until I see more Mario mechanics such as wall jumping, more NSMB power-ups, and other features other versions have already implemented as official for their versions, (despite the claim that they're sloppy) I can't really consider 2.0 a true successor to 1.3. Personally, it's still as much as a "copy" as the other versions due to its own flaws that were chosen to be made.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8878
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Enjl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:00 am

Sumguy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:30 am
Personally, it's still as much as a "copy" as the other versions due to its own flaws that were chosen to be made.
Mind PMing me about those? I'm interested in hearing about them.

Also SMBX2 isn't better because it's based around the original code. If the source code was out in 2017, we would've switched to it, but at this point it would be way too much of a hassle because we've added like 5x the original's source code in systems and scripts on top (which is a noteworthy downside).
One thing about your perspective has me intrigued, since you say that things don't count until officially implemented as basegame elements. Does that mean that custom graphics also didn't contribute to your opinion of 1.3, or the potential of making npc txt files as a new thing in 1.3 over 1.2? Because I would think the backend code that allows for these to happen is a big selling point, and things like cgfx and npc txt files have lead to some incredible creativity over the years. SMBX2 adds more things like that, so if you consider those as value adding bullet points for 1.3 I think it would only be fair to put all lua libraries, block.txt, background2.txt, background.txt and effect.txt into the same basket.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

User avatar
CJ_RLushi
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:39 pm
Flair: Intention is what matters

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby CJ_RLushi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06 am

I still don’t get why so much people want more power ups, like, you can make cool levels without them really, like frog suit of course helps a bit due to improved swimming but you can workaround other power ups easily, like:
Don’t have a shell power up? You can use the flipped kamikaze shell
Don’t have a propeller? You can use propeller blocks
My episode lol:
Image

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6683
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Cedur » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 am

Sumguy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:30 am
A lot of the people who claim 2.0 is superior because of potential due to being based around the original code has not really proven a point to me. I appreciate the new characters, but until I see more Mario mechanics such as wall jumping, more NSMB power-ups, and other features other versions have already implemented as official for their versions, (despite the claim that they're sloppy) I can't really consider 2.0 a true successor to 1.3. Personally, it's still as much as a "copy" as the other versions due to its own flaws that were chosen to be made.

well at least there's also lots of basegame content that doesn't appear in 1.3 and the editor is a thousand times more comfortable to work with
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Idunn
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Flair: Robotic

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Idunn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:52 am

CJ_RLushi wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06 am
I still don’t get why so much people want more power ups, like, you can make cool levels without them really, like frog suit of course helps a bit due to improved swimming but you can workaround other power ups easily, like:
Don’t have a shell power up? You can use the flipped kamikaze shell
Don’t have a propeller? You can use propeller blocks
The funny thing is, that the only nsmb power ups which aren't in X2 are mostly just the Shell and the Mega-Mini Mushrooms.

Unless he was talking about the other games in the series as well but that would include roughly 2 more at most idk.

Sumguy wrote: A lot of the people who claim 2.0 is superior because of potential due to being based around the original code has not really proven a point to me. I appreciate the new characters, but until I see more Mario mechanics such as wall jumping, more NSMB power-ups, and other features other versions have already implemented as official for their versions, (despite the claim that they're sloppy) I can't really consider 2.0 a true successor to 1.3. Personally, it's still as much as a "copy" as the other versions due to its own flaws that were chosen to be made.
And posts like this only fuel into the flames that ended years ago.
Please do not use any assets made for my Project! I will bring you to court if you do!

Kyasarin and Luminous were right all along!

Image

My Project:
Spoiler: show
Image
Projects that have my support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Hatsune Blake » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:47 pm

I feel like classic types of levels are slept on [Classic level meaning something that's styled close to what a vanilla SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, or SMW level would be like], and if you make a classic kind of level, people might hammer you saying "it's just a clone of vanilla {game name}"
I think classic levels should be made more as they're very fun to play and feel like extensions of the original games
It's why I only make traditional levels in SMM2, as there's too many levels in SMM2 that are just way different from vanilla SMB1 / SMB3 / SMW / NSMBU and a lack of traditional levels
Check out my custom GFX pack!
Image

Please check out my levels!
Spoiler: show
Image
The logo above was made by FyreNova.

User avatar
WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Posts: 3260
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:28 am
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby WerewolfGD » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:51 am

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 pm
This is probably just me reading through the first 3 pages and feeling nauseous doing so, but I feel I need to share this: The community is in a better spot than it was 3-4 years ago.

When looking back, it feels painful everytime I try to recall what occurred. It could be because the community was no longer fixated on making the same "switch-palace" levels, and those who made them were getting hated on.Thinking of how we're now able to have more creativity over repetitiveness, even during 2020, feels like progress. Back in those days, I can remember literal members of the community being defined because of their levels, and how well they were designed. For instance, WerewolfGD winning SVLC 2016 and most of the community flipping out. Then the insinuation that he shouldn't have won because "he made it how he's defined to making his levels." It felt disgusting because there was more of this than him getting praise or even properly critiquing his level.
Oh man, SVLC 2016 moment. Great times, but also..... yeah. Even though it was personally painful for me to remember that moment again, but ye I've moved on. Overall SVLC 2016 was a bittersweet moment for me.
I also kinda agree with your first point.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Image
Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

SergioZen25
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby SergioZen25 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm

I don't get why there are all those extra characters, I just think they don't control very well and don't fit with the Mario style platforming at all, with just a few exceptions like Rosalina and maybe Wario. I get they are made to have more variety and for people to make episodes based on them, but in my opinion, they aren't very interesting.
It feels like Mario Crossover but not that well implemented.
Last edited by SergioZen25 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6092
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:36 pm

SergioZen25 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm
It feels like Mario Crossover but not that well implemented.
Well... The difference between SMBX and Super Mario Bros. Crossover is the majority of SMBX2.0.0 was mostly made in favor of the 5 playable characters from 1.3.0.x in my opinion.... While Crossover is just a mixture of SMB1, Special, & Lost Levels, in which some of the levels works perfectly with some of the character besides just Mario & Luigi.
Custom mega drive playable sprites
Mario RPG goals (62% completed)
My Pixiv
Best Quotes: show
Danny wrote:
Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 pm
No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 am
That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD

SergioZen25
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby SergioZen25 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:57 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:36 pm
SergioZen25 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm
It feels like Mario Crossover but not that well implemented.
Well... The difference between SMBX and Super Mario Bros. Crossover is the majority of SMBX2.0.0 was mostly made in favor of the 5 playable characters from 1.3.0.x in my opinion.... While Crossover is just a mixture of SMB1, Special, & Lost Levels, in which some of the levels works perfectly with some of the character besides just Mario & Luigi.
I know, I just find the new ones uninteresting, except the ones I mentioned. My point was that if they are not integrated that well, then, what's the point of having 10 new characters if none of them feels nice to play as?

User avatar
Dragon0307
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:21 am
Flair: I am a big stupid dumb dumb

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Dragon0307 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 am

People still using GIFs for graphics and MP3s for audio in X2 gets on my nerves. I'm pretty sure 38A supports these formats as well, considering they both use SDL and SDL Mixer X.

(although I don't play 38A so I'm not quite sure, correct me if I'm wrong.)
This ForumPost® is the intellectual property (IP) of Kamekverse LTD. All rights reserved.
UNAUTHORIZED USAGE IS VIABLE FOR CRIMINAL CHARGES ON THE GROUNDS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
ForumPost® is a registered patent of Kamekverse LTD.
Spoiler: show
We need player HP. Or else.

User avatar
DerEric
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby DerEric » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Dragon0307 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 am
People still using GIFs for graphics and MP3s for audio in X2 gets on my nerves. I'm pretty sure 38A supports these formats as well, considering they both use SDL and SDL Mixer X.

(although I don't play 38A so I'm not quite sure, correct me if I'm wrong.)
38A automatically converts GIFs into PNGs, BMPs also work. MP3s are still supported, but you can also use OGGs or whatever you want.

The Neocosmos


Twitter


I support:
Image
Image
Image
Image

More supported projects: show
Image
Image
Image

Just wait and see.
2/9/2020


User avatar
Teemster2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

Re: Your controversial SMBX opinion

Postby Teemster2 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 pm

Dragon0307 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 am
People still using GIFs for graphics and MP3s for audio in X2 gets on my nerves. I'm pretty sure 38A supports these formats as well, considering they both use SDL and SDL Mixer X.

(although I don't play 38A so I'm not quite sure, correct me if I'm wrong.)
What's wrong with MP3's? What is the best music file to use? Honest question here.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests