What are some trends in SMBX episodes that annoy you?

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Twisted4932
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: This text has 28 letters and 3 numbers.
Pronouns: He/him

Re: What are some trends in SMBX episodes that annoy you?

Postby Twisted4932 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:02 pm

I'll be more detailed. I don't like the "checkpoint right before boss battle" because in most episodes the Impossible and dangerous boss is just an overused Boom Boom, or any easy boss. If it's a REALLY tough boss, the "checkpoint right before boss battle" can/must be applied especially for final bosses. And I'm not going to talk about the boss' difficulty. I think too many people knows about that topic.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:45 pm

Twistd4932 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:02 pm
I'll be more detailed. I don't like the "checkpoint right before boss battle" because in most episodes the Impossible and dangerous boss is just an overused Boom Boom, or any easy boss. If it's a REALLY tough boss, the "checkpoint right before boss battle" can/must be applied especially for final bosses. And I'm not going to talk about the boss' difficulty. I think too many people knows about that topic.
Just dodge the checkpoint for extra challenge! No need for the option to be removed.

Okton3999
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Okton3999 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:38 am

One thing I am not a big fan of is when, after finding a secret path in a level, you discover that you need a specific power-up to finish it, so you have to take the normal exit, search for the needed power-up, and take the exact same path to conclude the level. Personally, I prefer when everything you need for a secret is obtainable in the level.

Also, painfully slow autoscrolls.

In general, I would say anything that slows the player down without adding a challenge/something interesting.

(Sorry for my bad English).

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: semi-retired user, only interested in post ranks

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:51 am

Twistd4932 wrote:The checkpoints are supposed to be the middle of the level, not a reset place.

For the record you can have multiple checkpoints, so, one for the middle and one for the boss. Perfectly reasonable.

CrazyPencilDawg
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: I can't find a good profile picture.
Pronouns: He/him

Postby CrazyPencilDawg » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:35 pm

Smibbix wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 pm
Bosses that are just a Mother Brain reskin with a couple of generators. There are SO many of these...
Ah yes, MOTHER BRAIN RESKINS. Good god, I hate those.

KurttheKing98
Rex
Rex
Flair: Minecraft Legend/SMBX Creator/Nerd
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby KurttheKing98 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:20 pm

I don't like when SMBX Episodes use EXCLUSIVELY Built-in Stuff. You should get creative with your Episodes, fill them Custom Graphics. And even if you're a novice at Making/Adding Custom Graphics to Episodes, look up some tutorials or just find pre-made Graphics Packs. Just be sure to thank them for the Graphics

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:11 am

KurttheKing98 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:20 pm
I don't like when SMBX Episodes use EXCLUSIVELY Built-in Stuff. You should get creative with your Episodes, fill them Custom Graphics. And even if you're a novice at Making/Adding Custom Graphics to Episodes, look up some tutorials or just find pre-made Graphics Packs. Just be sure to thank them for the Graphics
Custom assets don't define an episode.
They open up a lot of possibilities, yes, but they do not define the episode. Plus the amount of basegame assets is quite massive compared to pre-2019.

Eric
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Expectations are the seed for disappointment.
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:35 am

KurttheKing98 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:20 pm
You should get creative with your Episodes, fill them Custom Graphics.
Custom graphics don't equal creativity in the slightest; you can get insanely creative with just the built-in stuff as shown by the Vanilla Contests.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: I take naps a lot
Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Postby krakin » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:01 pm

Yeah, I'd say making the most with what you have is the best way to get creative

KurttheKing98
Rex
Rex
Flair: Minecraft Legend/SMBX Creator/Nerd

Postby KurttheKing98 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:42 pm

Eric wrote: Custom graphics don't equal creativity in the slightest; you can get insanely creative with just the built-in stuff as shown by the Vanilla Contests.
ShadowStarX wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:11 am
Custom assets don't define an episode.
They open up a lot of possibilities, yes, but they do not define the episode. Plus the amount of basegame assets is quite massive compared to pre-2019.
krakin wrote: Yeah, I'd say making the most with what you have is the best way to get creative

Alright fine, I was wrong. I shouldn't have said that. :?

yoorest2
Bit
Bit

Postby yoorest2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:30 pm

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Yumetaro wrote:
Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:28 am
I get really annoyed when people put a super serious novel-size story in their episodes even though Mario isn't a series known for its story, or when they put in characters that have no reason to be in a Mario game.
yeah i regret that i use sonic.exe to my episode but now i can't do anything with this, because i'm sick of updating this 50 times in one hour

Dragon0307
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: I predicted Minecraft Legends!

Postby Dragon0307 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:16 am

Still using MP3s instead of either looped OGGs or emulated audio files. That and removing lives.

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:59 pm

Dragon0307 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:16 am
Still using MP3s instead of either looped OGGs or emulated audio files. That and removing lives.
Their worst forms are:
  • "Extended" versions for the hour length and with the huge file size (the example is here)
  • Using of WMA files, however, this case is very very rare. This format sucks because it's a proprietary mess which is supported by a small number of libraries, like, FFMPEG which is a very heavy thing.
For me, there are so-called "lazily-made" sprites very annoying cases: there are vanilla sprites that have mask images copied from the front image, but with a white background. They are often sources of conversion problems and unexpected transparency mess. That is why I developed the "LazyFixTool" in 2014 among which GIFs2PNG and PNG2GIFs to simplify the future works. Anyway, I am glad that usage of masks is now the past because of PNG support by most of the SMBX-based engines.

Dragon0307
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: I predicted Minecraft Legends!

Postby Dragon0307 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:59 pm
Dragon0307 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:16 am
Their worst forms are:
  • "Extended" versions for the hour length and with the huge file size (the example is here)
  • Using of WMA files, however, this case is very very rare. This format sucks because it's a proprietary mess which is supported by a small number of libraries, like, FFMPEG which is a very heavy thing.
For me, there are so-called "lazily-made" sprites very annoying cases: there are vanilla sprites that have mask images copied from the front image, but with a white background. They are often sources of conversion problems and unexpected transparency mess. That is why I developed the "LazyFixTool" in 2014 among which GIFs2PNG and PNG2GIFs to simplify the future works. Anyway, I am glad that usage of masks is now the past because of PNG support by most of the SMBX-based engines.
To be fair, I've only ever seem WMAs used once, and even then that was just because I saw an Eclipsed video where an episode used it and therefore couldn't play back correctly in SMBX2.

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:16 am

Dragon0307 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:50 pm
To be fair, I've only ever seem WMAs used once, and even then that was just because I saw an Eclipsed video where an episode used it and therefore couldn't play back correctly in SMBX2.
About WMA I know two cases:
  • the "Island of Dreams & Illusions" episode by Nicholas-Link used WMAs a lot, and I had to make the "TheXTech Edition" port where I replaced most of the music with VGM chiptunes (from Sonic games) and converted WMAs into OGGs with adding of loop points instead of ultra-long files.
  • Mentioned WMA usage somewhere by SAJewers who asked me about WMA support because he had some, but no explicit mentions of what the stuff is.
Added in 6 hours 17 minutes 8 seconds:
Anyway, WMA is still not supported by MixerX, and there are controversial reasons for adding that support. But, that would go off-topic from this discussion.

Return to “General”