This is the place for video games!
MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Problems you have creating levels

Postby MegaDood » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:41 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:Here's My problem when making levels... Creators' Block! :|
Dude that's the worst. I think we've all experienced it at least once. It seems taking a break from it and doing something else creative fills your imagination and allows the ideas to flow. At least, that's just for me. :D
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:00 am

I focus way too much on adding lots of details and making sure everything looks perfect (As well as porting all the NPCs and backgrounds from Sednaiur's SMB3 Expanded GFX pack over to the level despite not using most of them) which means I'll almost never get anywhere and so I'll lose motivaton after only designing a few screens.

I think I should probably stop using Sednaiur's pack so damn much.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:I focus way too much on adding lots of details and making sure everything looks perfect (As well as porting all the NPCs and backgrounds from Sednaiur's SMB3 Expanded GFX pack over to the level despite not using most of them) which means I'll almost never get anywhere and so I'll lose motivaton after only designing a few screens.
only use the smb3 wood block when you start making the level, without adding any decoration or details. when you finish it, add all graphics you need. this method helps you focus more on the gameplay and work much faster overall.
im bored

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 am

RudeGuy wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:I focus way too much on adding lots of details and making sure everything looks perfect (As well as porting all the NPCs and backgrounds from Sednaiur's SMB3 Expanded GFX pack over to the level despite not using most of them) which means I'll almost never get anywhere and so I'll lose motivaton after only designing a few screens.
only use the smb3 wood block when you start making the level, without adding any decoration or details. when you finish it, add all graphics you need. this method helps you focus more on the gameplay and work much faster overall.
Gotcha. I'll try to keep that in mind.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Perunasose
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: Learning how to use PGE

Postby Perunasose » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 am

Demotivation.
Let's give a perspective to this: I have been playing SMBX from somewhere around 2014-2015 (I had little breaks from the game too though). Yet I've never got anything done. Why? I usually get really inspired and create something for one day, and the next day, I make another level and forget the other level, meaning none of those levels ever get done. It's the same thing with all of the other games with level editor, too: Geometry Dash, Osu!, The Escapists...

I also suck at creating but that's another thing lol

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:08 am

Perunasose wrote:Demotivation.
Let's give a perspective to this: I have been playing SMBX from somewhere around 2014-2015 (I had little breaks from the game too though). Yet I've never got anything done. Why? I usually get really inspired and create something for one day, and the next day, I make another level and forget the other level, meaning none of those levels ever get done. It's the same thing with all of the other games with level editor, too: Geometry Dash, Osu!, The Escapists...

I also suck at creating but that's another thing lol
Don't create project threads before you solve this problem, I guess.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: This account is dying
Current Project: Just
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:01 pm

I have problems trying to work on a level for a long period of time, I end up getting tired and demotivated to do it.

Sometimes I have to have a specific graphic for a level just so I can make it look the way I want to. This applies to bosses as well.
Don't expect me to post here often, if at all.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that this isn't supposed to happen.

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: things
Chat Username: WildWEEGEE

Postby WildWEEGEE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm

finding the right gfx to match it
making most short
and overuse of the rickroll... just kidding

I've done it a bit before though
I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
I support: show
ImageImage
Looking back at every one of my posts, I cringe, hard, very hard.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:I have problems trying to work on a level for a long period of time, I end up getting tired and demotivated to do it.
I never get demotivated but when I have several levels in progress I don't know what to do!
Sometimes I have to have a specific graphic for a level just so I can make it look the way I want to. This applies to bosses as well.
Sometimes that happens to me too, but I'm learning to make custom GFXs so... soon that won't be a problem anymore

BTW epic bump!

My project:

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 pm

My problem is overtime, I get a lack of interest to complete making a level. This is what happened to 2 of my attempts to make a project, I just got uninterested.
My Project: Coming Soon!
I support
Spoiler: show
ImageImage Image
Spoiler: show

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord
Current Project: smw stuff

Postby chuckster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:I think I should probably stop using Sednaiur's pack so damn much.
I don't blame ya.

Anyways, I always have issues with the length of my level. It seems like a rush to get to that satisfaction at the end of making it that I forget that I need to take my time. It can take me days of on and off to get a little bit into a level.

But most people seem to like my level design so I guess that's that.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Matt_The_Slime wrote:My problem is overtime, I get a lack of interest to complete making a level. This is what happened to 2 of my attempts to make a project, I just got uninterested.
With levels: there's a lot of levels I have in my head and I want to make them soon, overtime is not a problem for me unless is a level I don't want to do

With projects: I have a "secret project" in my head and I haven't lost interest in it, I always try to make new ideas everyday with that project (expect it to be revealed in a pair of years, it'll depend), same goes to my actual project, I haven't lost interest in it

If you want to make something the first thing you have to do is have interest and don't just make it for no reason
The_loaf_lord wrote:I don't blame ya.

Anyways, I always have issues with the length of my level. It seems like a rush to get to that satisfaction at the end of making it that I forget that I need to take my time. It can take me days of on and off to get a little bit into a level.

Something similar happens to me, you know what I do? I put the tiles, bgos and npcs in the small square you have when you start to create a level, then I put the tiles, bgos and npcs out of that square and I don't extend the level until I have that part finished...

I don't know how to explain it, but I do what Bossedit makes in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IARlJLnlf94

My project:

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord
Current Project: smw stuff

Postby chuckster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Matt_The_Slime wrote:
The_loaf_lord wrote:I don't blame ya.

Something similar happens to me, you know what I do? I put the tiles, bgos and npcs in the small square you have when you start to create a level, then I put the tiles, bgos and npcs out of that square and I don't extend the level until I have that part finished...

That sounds like a strange but alright technique.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm

The_Loaf_Lord wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Matt_The_Slime wrote:

That sounds like a strange but alright technique.
Well, you can see a part of the video and see how it is, you start with something simple in a small space and as long as you advance you make it more and more complex, I have a screenshot saved but I can't show it as an example because I'm not in the PC

My project:

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

I know I'm not alone with this. I'll have a level idea, but when I actually sit down and open the editor, my mind sometimes goes blank. For me, starting a level is always the hardest thing, but when I can get past that, everything's fine... that is until I run out of ideas. That's really why I don't make levels anymore for the most part, guess I just don't have the creativity I used to. It's been a while since I've played SMBX though, so maybe I'll try to make something real soon.

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 am

Problems i've had...Laziness, i often don't feel like working on my levels for long amounts of time in a day and often work on stuff at a snails' pace, which is something i really want to change soon.

And also...I have too many ideas. I have so many ideas and stuff in my head, but realistically, i'm most likely never going to get it all done, for those of you whom have seen my SMBX timeline i once posted a few months back, though i plan on making all of those episodes a thing, realistically, it most likely isn't going to happen, which kind of sucks tbh, but hey, that's how things can be sometimes.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:06 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:I know I'm not alone with this. I'll have a level idea, but when I actually sit down and open the editor, my mind sometimes goes blank. For me, starting a level is always the hardest thing, but when I can get past that, everything's fine... that is until I run out of ideas. That's really why I don't make levels anymore for the most part, guess I just don't have the creativity I used to. It's been a while since I've played SMBX though, so maybe I'll try to make something real soon.
You should try it again, starting a level isn't that easy but make the rest isn't easy neither because everyone eventually run out of ideas, all of us deal with this same problem, my principal problem related to this is when I run out of ideas and when I don't know what to do for make the level special. Another problem is my lazyness (no kidding, I even said time ago that I wanted to remake the first level of my project because I was too lazy with it)

I'd also like to see something made by the big guys, apart from Valtteri's GFXs pack
Mosaic wrote:Problems i've had...Laziness, i often don't feel like working on my levels for long amounts of time in a day and often work on stuff at a snails' pace, which is something i really want to change soon.

And also...I have too many ideas. I have so many ideas and stuff in my head, but realistically, i'm most likely never going to get it all done, for those of you whom have seen my SMBX timeline i once posted a few months back, though i plan on making all of those episodes a thing, realistically, it most likely isn't going to happen, which kind of sucks tbh, but hey, that's how things can be sometimes.
Ok, I wasn't expecting that, I mean, you are the creator of Mosaic's Journey...

Well, at least I'm knowing more about you...

My project:

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 am

My problem is trying to meet the expectations of others but by doing that I have to change the level in a way that I don't like it , so I'm trying to solve the problem by ignoring peoples opinions... sometimes works but sometimes I'm forced to change it ...

DJFMHD
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Sticker Star is alright
Chat Username: What do you think?

Postby DJFMHD » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 am

I have trouble caring about background objects.
When I have certain ideas i think are huge there usually cant happen because of the limitations of the editor
Every time I try to learn about the more complicated things in the editor (Moving objects ect.) I don't get it and give up for a month and then the same thing happens.
hey

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Eri7 wrote:My problem is trying to meet the expectations of others but by doing that I have to change the level in a way that I don't like it , so I'm trying to solve the problem by ignoring peoples opinions... sometimes works but sometimes I'm forced to change it ...
You can SOMETIMES ignore people opinion, but NEVER ignore the tips

My project:

Return to “Video Games”