Civ V AI Battle Royale: Gandhi and Obama's Swampy Adventure

This is the place for video games!
DarkMatt
Banned

Civ V AI Battle Royale: Gandhi and Obama's Swampy Adventure

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 pm

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION V 20 AI BATTLE ROYALE

Q: A what now?
A: Battle Royale. Have you never read Hunger Games? Civ V is a 4x, turn based, strategy game, mainly involving building cities and shaking your fist at other nations and beating them up. It's pretty fun, though expensive. What's important though is, through wizardry, I can get the AI to beat eachother up, which proves to be more exciting than anything else. And now, for your amusement, I will trip report 20 civlizations that are going to slug it out to be #1.

Q: #1?
A: Yes, as in, how to win. The 20 AIs have to achieve a Domination Victory. This is done by sacking every other Civ's Capital city. There's 20 of them, so this might take a while. That's why, as an alternative win condition, once 1,000 turns have elapsed, Nah we're making it 100 turns after a civ has discovered all technologies. Once that's done, we'll take a look at who has the most land and declare them the winner. Score is meaningless. Conquest is everything.

Q: So where do I come in?
A: Pick a civ and cheer for them! Follow the thread, discuss updates, and show your support!

Q: Anything else I should know about?
Yes. The game is played on Epic speed, which is twice as long as what the game considers Standard Speed. I would not be doing Marathon because that'd mean instead of finishing in about 700-800 turns, we'll reach the end of the game in about 1,500-2,000 turns. I might consider it for later though if I do another one of these.

And lastly, this is not possible without mods, a lot of mods. You can get most of these off the Workshop for Civ V, the one exception being Vox Populi, which you can go google. Here's a list:
-Aggressive and Expansive AI: The secret spice. It's not just a number tweak shut up. This makes the AI actually go out and murder eachother. Otherwise we'd have nerds who sat around and did NOTHING but try to be an honor student in a fraternity.
-Custom Advanced Setup Screen: Doesn't do much for the game itself but it is what I use to set up the game.
-Ingame Editor: The control panel of this game. This is how we set ourselves up and get our eyes over the world at large.
-InfoAddict: This is our great data gatherer. We'll be looking at InfoAddict as the AIs play to make a note of who's winning what, who's at war with what, and how swole everyone is.
-Capture Great People: for laffs. Normally Great People die when ran over by a melee unit, this will give them to the capturing civ, just like Workers.
-Limited Archeology: Normally at a certain point the AI feels the need to SPAM Archaeologists. They're worthless. They are chaff. They bog the game down to hell and back. This fixes that by throttling how many the AI can build.

MEET THE CIVS (Still under construction, but all 20 intro pics are here.): https://imgur.com/a/u4tjf

Scroll on down for the first post. This space will have links to reports as they get made.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

DarkMatt
Banned

Re: Civ V AI Battle Royale: Gandhi and Obama's Swampy Adventure

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 pm

All images and text is hosted on imgur. Have fun!
Spoiler: show
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:10 pm

The unexpected variety is what makes this amazing.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:01 pm

That is pretty interesting, looking foward to see how this will turn out

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Nice one Matt! Can't wait for more! ^^

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 pm

As people will probably not know what the hell is going on, I'm going to write some info on how Civilization V actually works, and, how to tell what side's winning. These will all be available in the thread and you can reference them for later. You don't HAVE to learn it, just nod and agree.

HOW PLAY CIV V??? PART I: LAND, GOLD, AND ARMIES
Spoiler: show
=So you wanna figure out what the hell this game means, huh? Well that's okay, because I can give a very good explanation as to how the AI wins, loses, and fucks up, starting with the most important aspects of not just AI games in Civ V, but in Civ 5 itself.

=Your Civilization is made up of cities you found, using Settler units. You start with one. Do not pay attention to the cheating AI who gets two, and a small army, and a jacuzzi. You will usually start with one, and they'll USUALLY be at a good enough spot to, on turn 0, found a city right there or maybe a space off.

=This first city is your Capital. Your capital cheats and gets an extra +1 to all important yields, that is, Food, Production, Gold, Culture, and Science. To gain these resources, cities assign its citizens to tiles within its borders to work on. This is denoted by the colored land you have. What the citizens work is what the city outputs for its own needs, and the empire itself.

=To break down the yields:
-Food is required for the population to grow, gaining more citizens and working more of the land.
-Production is used to build units and buildings within the city. Most units are made for combat and requires a gold upkeep to keep around. Buildings affect the output of your city primarily.
-Gold is how much money you make per turn. This is offset by the maintenance of your units and most of your buildings and that becomes your GPT, or Gold Per Turn. Having a positive GPT is good, having a huge GPT is better because fielding massive armies like you've seen takes high income to sustain. Running out of money gimps your army's strength among with other things that ruin your ability to fight, so it's not a good thing.
-Culture serves 2 purposes: Culture output of the city determines how fast the city acquires new tiles into its territory, and that same output is added to a global counter. When enough culture is accumulated throughout the empire, you may choose a new Policy to adopt. I'll go over Policies later, but for now, more culture is good for more land and bonuses.
-Science is important. Science determines how fast you learn to build new stuff, and make old stuff better. Science output by default is +1 Science per turn for every 2 citizens in your city. There are buildings that can boost this amount. Early on Science will be around 2 digits and then progress to 3 digits and entually 4 digits to grab the latest techs. This makes researching ways to improve science, and making taller cities, the way to go to be technologically superior to your opponents.

=There's another resource in play as well, and that's Happiness. Your cities and citizens merely existing costs Happiness to keep stable. If you run out and dip into negative happiness, your army will start to gain increasing penalties and city growth will slow to a crawl. Somehow getting into large numbers of unhappiness can cause nasty things like barbarian spawns and losing cities. As conquered cities cost more happiness to keep stable than cities you found, two things are important: one, you found cities as quick as you can, and two, you found cities instead of annex cities.

=That leads me into the next bulletpoint: money. Research is power for the most part, but money is a close second. Every unit in the game can be purchased instantly for a large sum of gold. Same goes for buildings. If you are SWIMMING in cash you can easily raise an army just by paying for one, instead of having to take the time to build one. In addition, a higher GPT means you can field a larger army and still be in the green.

=Successful warmongering in this case, takes three things: superior tech, healthy bank accounts, and happy citizens. There will be some times where some units can beat others, even if the other units have better bonuses or are even a higher tier, but they're few and far inbetween.

=None the less, it's important to go over what composes an army and how cities are successfully captured.
-You have your basic melee unit, from the humble Warrior in the beginning to the Mechanized Infantry near the end, these will be your rank and file soldiers. They are not too special, but they boast commendable strength. Their weakness is being unable to move all that quickly, which means cavalry units, ranged units, and other ways to harass melee units will be a good way to stop them.
-We also have ranged units, from simple Archers to Bazookas, these will be your way to rain death from afar early on. In the beginning they can hit unobscured units (no forests or hills blocking) up to 2 tiles away, but later on they will lose that extra range to be able to fight effectively in melee, making attacks that cannot be countered and having the same strength in melee as they do at range.
-Next up we have anti-cavalry units, from Spearmen to...well, Attack Helicopters, these units early on are made to bust Horses. They have more strength than melee units for early game, and can easily outmatch clubs and swords. By the time we get into Longswords though, their effective falls off, and for some reason they become mounted units themselves in one upgrade and turn into anti-tank guns in another. Anti-cavalry is great early on, but then will become horrendously obsolete as they lose ground to muskets, actual cavalry, and planes. In fact, the biggest fault of anti-cavalry is that they have no fucking upgrades past early to mid game.
-There's also cavalry units and well, from the first guy on chariot pulled by horse, to a metal gear, these things are fast, and without proper defenses, very strong. They have high speed and also the ability to move after attacking, being able to perform hit-and-run tactics. In addition, the high speed makes them ideal for pillaging enemy improvements. This is good because cavalry across all ages are garbage at actually taking cities with.
-Finally, there's siege units. Siege units are what you bring when you want to take a city, and range from Catapults to Artillery. They're quite sensitive to getting poked by melee, and require upgrades to handle ranged well, so their positioning is very important. They don't have a great effect against enemy units, but they do more damage to cities than even next-tier units can. They're made to destroy cities, and later on they get reaaaally good at breaking through defenses.
-There are also naval units and they follow a simple split: either melee, or ranged. Ranged ships are better at fighting from afar while letting melee ships do the bopping. Otherwise there's not much.
-And late in the game, there are planes. Planes are special as they only exist in cities, and only get damaged when acting. There's no way to directly attack planes, but there are units that can fire at a plane that attempts to attack near it, heavily damaging it. Planes are very scary, as otherwise most units can only do passing damage to them. This makes anti-air coverage very important late in the game, less you be assailed by bombers and fighters.
-There's a couple other nuances that's worth talking about, but we'll get there as we progress.

=So in conclusion, in an AI battle royale, land and cities is imperative, as the high food, production, and gold yields mean you get better armies quicker. More cities means more places to build units, so it comes down to whether you want to build high or build wide. It's a real question because, while building wide allows you a get a lot of food, production, and gold, the culture cost of new policies and science cost of new techs goes up with every city you bring under your control, founded or sacked. Puppeted cities however don't add to this, which I'll explain later. It is possible to still get more research done with more cities, but the effects are curbed, and going overboard with the cities will cause a slump in tech gain, which is a very bad thing.
A new update will be coming very soon, as I continue to work frantically to bring it all together. It'll have to be tomorrow or so.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Oh shit this is not what I was expecting, put all my money on Madoka
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 pm

IT BEGINS
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 am

BLAST OFF TO ADVENTURE, HERE'S THE NEXT 50 TURNS.
AGE 1B: THE FIRST STRIKES

Ditchencat
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Various freelance games.
Chat Username: Ditchen

Postby Ditchencat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am

Woooo
You're all cats. Aren't you..

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 am

I need more!

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:34 am

Wow damn I'm seriously surprised the Americans are doing so well with all that war going on.

My girl Madoka has the second highest pop though, I believe she can do it.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am

Oh boy!!!!! :D

P.S. You got that gif from the "Legend of Zelda" cartoon. ;)

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:27 pm

NEW UPDATES COMIN' AT YA AT THE SPEED OF FAST
AGE 2A: BAD NEIGHBOR DAY

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 am

Well, this has been an interesting day to say the least

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 pm

This week has been BUSY. BUSY BUSY BUSY. I have not found time to update UNTIL NOW WOOOOAH. Like hell I'm dead. I'm just a violent torrent of things I have to do.

ENOUGH TALK LET'S GO TO HYRULE
AGE 2B: THE HYRULE TRAIL

Last edited by DarkMatt on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Hyrule's fall begins now. RIP THE DREAM
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Press f to pay respects to hyrule

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:19 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:Press f to pay respects to hyrule
Okay! *Presses the "F" key*

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:53 pm

It helps to know why you're pressing F.

On that note. Hi. New update.

THINGS GET DICEY TODAY
AGE 3A: PINCER ATTACK

Return to “Video Games”