This is the place for video games!
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Games that you hate/dislike from franchises you like

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Well, title says it all. Say the entries from video game franchises that you hate or just simply dislike/don't like as much. (things like CDi games don't count) I'd like to mention some myself too:

SMB - The Lost Levels
Well, I know it's self-explanatory, but I'd like to mention the things I dislike. First off, it's not the design that makes the game hard but the controls, which is already a flaw. Second off, cheap tricks which inspired games like Cat Mario. (invisible coin block traps) It's also quite bad that the game has obstacles which are really fucking hard to avoid: immediately chasing hammer bros, gigantic pits without any room to accelerate and this firebar:

Mega Man 1
A game which aged terribly compared to its sequels. Well, the controls are slippery even outside of Ice Man's stage which can be really troublesome, especially after playing the other 5 entries and some fangames. Also, you need to pick up a weapon that LOOKS optional but actually isn't.

Touhou 9.5 - Shoot the Bullet
I know that I shouldn't expect ease from this franchise, but this is obviously the hardest title in the whole series. You have to take photos of ~76 various attacks multiple times per each with meeting other criterias. This game is still decent, but it's just way too goddamn difficult in my opinion.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Chat Username: Bench-kun

Re: Games that you hate/dislike from franchises you like

Postby Amine Retro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:43 pm

i wanna be the boshy/guy/etc
mega man 1
ghosts n' goblins
silver surfer
last but not least, supra maruo bors x
EDIT: oops, i didn't read the full title, ghosts n' goblins and silver surfer are not from the franchises i like.
Last edited by Amine Retro on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my signature
my discord server. we have a WIP episode there too, so you can join if you're interested.
i support: show

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Current Project: Howling
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:02 pm

amine_retro wrote: last but not least, supra maruo bors x
post of the day
Yea... I'm back, but with different view.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Spring 봄

Postby Hani » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Paper Mario Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and Color Splash were the games I hated because it's the sams ol story line about Bowser being villian blah blah blah.
Why can't these Paper Mario games have mkre RPG and more story? The games with Bowser as a playable were the best games but now every single game is just Mario defeating Bowser saving Princess Peach blah blah blah. Oh and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Partners In Time, and Bowser Inside Story were the best games even though the main antagonist has few Bowser characteristics.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Don't forget that Mega Man 1 had terrible and bland level design with a lot of rooms being reused (Especially in Elecman's stage, almost every room appears more than once in that stage!), and the game overall not feeling polished at all (There are various instances of cutoff and lazy design chocies)

Mega Man 2 fixed a lot of the problems 1 had, and set the standard for what a Mega Man game should be like, although I do think 3 has aged much better than 2.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Admiral Bobbery wrote:Paper Mario Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and Color Splash were the games I hated because it's the sams ol story line about Bowser being villian blah blah blah.
Why can't these Paper Mario games have mkre RPG and more story? The games with Bowser as a playable were the best games but now every single game is just Mario defeating Bowser saving Princess Peach blah blah blah. Oh and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Partners In Time, and Bowser Inside Story were the best games even though the main antagonist has few Bowser characteristics.
But.. where is Paper Mario 64? You forgot to add that, since it's also the same story.

As for me?

Mario Franchise overall :)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Admiral Bobbery wrote:Paper Mario Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and Color Splash were the games I hated because it's the sams ol story line about Bowser being villian blah blah blah.
I don't see how the choice of a main villain correlates to the enjoyment one can have with a game.
I mean yeah. Okay. Bowser's the main villain. Is that part of the plot? Yeah. Is that what makes the entire story? Not at all.
Take Color Splash for example. The game is filled with RIDICULOUS amounts of character and every area you visit is memorable and has its own little story to it.
I strongly urge you to give at least Color Splash a try. That game is fantastic.

As for games I don't like from franchises I like...
Super Mario Bros 3 is my least favourite out of the classic games. I found myself getting bored with its levels rather quickly.
I also don't like Sticker Star because the game lacks any form of character and plot. The third world with the wiggler chase is the closest thing the game has to a gripping story and the battle system really has that "prototype" feeling to it after playing Color Splash.
Paper Jam is basically a more shallow Dream Team with more Toads and a mechanic that takes away all the thrill of battling enemies and figuring out their unique attack patterns.

I'm not a big fan of Gen 6 games of Pokemon. While I'm slowly warming up to the concepts it introduced (3d graphics, mega evolutions, the designs, the remakes), I completely resented all of them when they came out, and I'm still not a big fan of the pokemon it introduced and the changes they made in the remakes.
The ABC of Creation

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 am

Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link.
I couldn't even get far in the game without grinding too much to get too over level! :shock:

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: bruh
Current Project: vibin'
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269

Postby Saltlord » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Ace Attorney - Apollo Justice
I know a lot of people dislike this one, and I am no exception. I mean, I liked the main cast of characters, Apollo and Trucy are pretty funny, Klavier is one of the few prosecutors who aren't jerks, and Phoenix was... well, he was a bit weird and got a bit douchie Imo. As for the cases themselves, they sucked. Turnabout Trump is probably one of the best first cases, Turnabout Corner always reminded me of Reunion, an Turnabout, just even worse (this case also has one of the worst defendants in the series). Ugh, Turnabout Serenade got created when some Capcom dude decided to throw Big Top down the toilet and went to the seewage plant to get this terrible case. Tbh, the last one has an interesting concept and is not that bad, even though it had some plot holes and some of the witnesses were pretty annyoing.

SinHeartless
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: ???
Chat Username: ???

Postby SinHeartless » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Pokemon X/Y

Fanservice is the only thing going for it in addition to some interesting plot points & music.
These games are as unmemorable as Pokemon Red/Blue are glitchy. Enough said.

Tekken 6

Bound system, monotonous gameplay, lacking story...
Also, the final boss suffers from SNK Boss Syndrome. In a Namco game!

NSMB 2

Unoriginal. Sure, some levels were better than others but otherwise
fails in comparison to the first game in almost all aspects.
One of the reasons why I feel indifferent to Mario games along
with many other.
Behold the man who has embraced freedom from needless bonds.
I AM THE EMBODIMENT OF YOUR SINS.

Yes, it is me. The last person who would bring himself into modern communities.
The many faces of modern degeneracy like elitism, indifference and delusions of heroism
and superiority has made take the path with the least "human" variables to deal with.

In addition to antagonizing the internet, I do some... slightly creative stuff.
I really don't trust anyone around here too much, though. That, and the 2.0 community resenting the 1.4.4
community fills me with disgust.
Once things get nasty, I might have to sever my connections with this forum.
You should too. Just a friendly hint you can take with a grain of salt if you want.

Now with 300% more insanity. I will break your delusions of heroism and superiority to tiny pieces.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:28 pm

New Super Mario Bros 2 was the worst of the NSMB games and the overall main Mario Series. It felt like a downgraded version of NSMB because a lot of the features were removed.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:31 pm

King of Eterity wrote:New Super Mario Bros 2 was the worst of the NSMB games and the overall main Mario Series. It felt like a downgraded version of NSMB because a lot of the features were removed.
Not only that, the whole coin thing isn't implemented well, meaning you can get a gigantic amount of 1-ups already in the first world, making the game over screen nearly impossible to get by accident!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:New Super Mario Bros 2 was the worst of the NSMB games and the overall main Mario Series. It felt like a downgraded version of NSMB because a lot of the features were removed.
Not only that, the whole coin thing isn't implemented well, meaning you can get a gigantic amount of 1-ups already in the first world, making the game over screen nearly impossible to get by accident!
Yeah that as well. Should have not done the coin thing in the first place or increased the amount of coins needed for a 1-up.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:51 am

Paper Mario Sticker Star: It basically put the mario clichés in Paper Mario, which is much worse than it seems. Also there is no point at battling as there is neither a punishment for running nor a level system(Heck, even SPM had a level system). Bosses are very badly designed. If you have the right sticker you easily win, but if you don't then you will be destroyed. Then you have no good partners(Kersti sucks). Story is dull and most songs are mediocre. You never feel you accomplished something, different from TTYD and SPM(Paper Mario 64 didn't have too much of this, but at least it had a better story, battle system, better designed bosses, some good partners and it had a level system). Luigi barely appeared, and all his apparitions were bad. He doesn't even say anything. I guess this is it-Oh, yeah, there are no unique characters, just stupid generic toads scattered everywhere. Disappointing, to say the least.

Megaman 2: Gave me more rage than fun. Had badly designed levels that were only possible for me when I had a ceirtain power(*cough* Quickman *cough* Heatman) and VERY annoying bosses(*cough* Orb Room *cough* Quickman).

Note: I could put color splash here, but I fell like I am cheating if I put a game that I never saw or played. From what I heard it at least is better than sticker star, despite not being on the level of the original trilogy, as it fixed some mistakes from Sticker Star. However didn't fix everything.

And that's it.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Out of all Touhou games I have played, I dislike the second one the most. (I played 1-9, 11-15, and 10.5, 12.3, 14.3, and 14.5)

ImageImageImage

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Zelda II. It's actually quite a fun game when you get the hang of it, but if you've come in from other Zelda games it'll take a lot of getting used to due to the different perspective and gameplay. Also, the game is really unforgiving as when you die, you have to go all the way back to the start and walk all the way to where you died. Which is really painful (I'm looking at YOU, Death Mountain...) and you can end up dying again before you even get there.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

KingBowser24
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Master Procrastinator
Current Project: Tamara's Quest: Remastered Edition
Chat Username: EvilKingBowser

Postby KingBowser24 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Super Mario:
-Lost Levels. Way too hard, way too much recycled content.
-Battle Mode in the newer Mario Karts. While I love Mario Kart, I do not like how Balloon Battle went from the classic "Last Man Standing" objective to the stupid "Hit as Many people as you can within the time limit" objective. It kind of takes away the whole point of balloon battle, because you are not out if you lose all your balloons, you just lose a few points. I like the old version much better.

Call of Duty:
-Ghosts: I know, theres alot of hate to this game, but I like the game itself. Its the players in online that make it real shitty. The IED's are way too overpowered. I can't go a single game without getting killed several times by an IED placed by some camper. This is a big problem when you're a run and gunner like me...
-MW2 Multiplayer: Campers and Noobtubers everywhere. 'Nough said.

Burnout:
-Burnout Dominator: I guess I cant judge the game too harshly, because I didnt play too much of it. It just never really pulled me in. Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge, and Burnout Paradise pulled me in right away!

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 am

I also have and like/hate feelings for Paper Mario Sticker Star.

At least it's not as bad as Sonic 2006! 8-)

Electriking

Postby Electriking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 am

KingBowser24 wrote:Super Mario:
Well I think it is supposed to be an SMB postgame, and why dislike it for its difficulty? It is supposed to be hard, as it was designed for players that completed SMB.
KingBowser24 wrote:-Battle Mode in the newer Mario Karts. While I love Mario Kart, I do not like how Balloon Battle went from the classic "Last Man Standing" objective to the stupid "Hit as Many people as you can within the time limit" objective. It kind of takes away the whole point of balloon battle, because you are not out if you lose all your balloons, you just lose a few points. I like the old version much better.
I guess it is undeniable that MK8's battle mode sucks (even though I never actually played the battle mode and only had the chance to play the game once).

KingBowser24
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Master Procrastinator
Current Project: Tamara's Quest: Remastered Edition
Chat Username: EvilKingBowser

Postby KingBowser24 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm

King of Eterity wrote:
KingBowser24 wrote:Super Mario:
Well I think it is supposed to be an SMB postgame, and why dislike it for its difficulty? It is supposed to be hard, as it was designed for players that completed SMB.
I can speedrun SMB, and can beat it no problem. But Lost Levels? Its ridiculous. Keep in mind, the difficulty is pretty much the main reason it was not very popular. I've beaten SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, and many more Mario games... yet Lost Levels is still a big struggle.
King Of Eterity wrote:
KingBowser24 wrote:-Battle Mode in the newer Mario Karts. While I love Mario Kart, I do not like how Balloon Battle went from the classic "Last Man Standing" objective to the stupid "Hit as Many people as you can within the time limit" objective. It kind of takes away the whole point of balloon battle, because you are not out if you lose all your balloons, you just lose a few points. I like the old version much better.
I guess it is undeniable that MK8's battle mode sucks (even though I never actually played the battle mode and only had the chance to play the game once).
I can agree. Balloon Battle has sucked since Mario Kart Wii, which is when they switched to the new balloon battle system, I believe.

Return to “Video Games”