Beat 'em up Genre Thread

This is the place for video games!
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

Beat 'em up Genre Thread

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Here, we only talk about games that are "Beat 'Em Ups", and nothing else. Examples of beat 'em up games:

• River City Series
  • The Simpsons Arcade
  • Streets of Rage
  • Final Fight
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (The Beat em up arcade games)

I brought up this topic because I heard there's a new sequel to River City Ransom that's recently released! :D

(Coming soon in 84 days from today: Sega Mega Drive GFX pack)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Dark Wario
Spiny
Spiny

Re: Beat 'em up Genre Thread

Postby Dark Wario » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:53 pm

My most favorite "Beat 'em up" is Mighty Fighter 2. It's not quite a "Beat 'em up" game, but it has an arcade mode. You need to clear all 5 (or 6, i don't remember) stages to complete it, each stage has boss at the end. In the fifth (sixth) stage, you need to beat all bosses from previous stages and then you'll clear the game. But it's easy to do because some of the bosse are standing still.
Spoiler: show

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.

Postby RSupertheGreat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 am

Before I post my favorite "Beat 'em up" game genre, are they basically a fighting genre?

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:09 am

RSupertheGreat wrote:Before I post my favorite "Beat 'em up" game genre, are they basically a fighting genre?
Beat-em-ups are basically fighting game mechanics used in single-player games - something like Street Fighter is a fighting game, while a game like Streets of Rage (as mentioned in the first post) is a beat-em-up - you're still punching and kicking and stuff, but you're a single human against an army of probably low quality AI enemies, instead of fighting a single human or complex AI opponent.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 am

The best Beat 'em Up game is Battletoads and you can't tell me otherwise.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 am

Pseudo wrote:
RSupertheGreat wrote:Before I post my favorite "Beat 'em up" game genre, are they basically a fighting genre?
Beat-em-ups are basically fighting game mechanics used in single-player games - something like Street Fighter is a fighting game, while a game like Streets of Rage (as mentioned in the first post) is a beat-em-up - you're still punching and kicking and stuff, but you're a single human against an army of probably low quality AI enemies, instead of fighting a single human or complex AI opponent.
True! But you know some Beat 'em ups are co-op games... Right
(Coming soon in 84 days from today: Sega Mega Drive GFX pack)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Return to “Video Games”