FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Underrated retro RPGs

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:18 am

Sorry to be a bother, but let's talk about some of the retro role-playing games that aren't so mainstream. In other words, the other role-playing games that feels very underrated!

The underrated RPG I played is probably "Illusion of Gaia", a RPG made by Enix.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: Underrated retro RPGs

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:46 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:

Sorry to be a bother, but let's talk about some of the retro role-playing games that aren't so mainstream. In other words, the other role-playing games that feels very underrated!

I may be mistaken, but that's not what underrated means. An underrated game is one that gets more hate than it deserves. Just because a game seems to fall out of the mainstream and into obscurity, it doesn't make it underrated. Illusion of Gaia got good reviews, and even overtook Soul Blazer for amount of carts sold.

But anyway, I'm probably going to go with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. They're solid games and got good reviews, but they run really slowly and a few fans have been turned off due to this. Thank goodness it was fixed in Platinum.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:45 am

There are quite a lot of different ones. I remember enjoying one called "The Quest" a lot though. Available now on steam too. Not quite sure how old it needs to be for retro though.

Another ones were some old/early ones from PC. Especially the Laxius Power series, and Ahriman's Prophecy. Both free to play which was a bit plus.

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:52 pm

"Underrated" is probably one of the most vague terms out there. Something being underrated requires something else in the same level of quality to have better critiscism than the former from a similarly-sized community. Considering this is a very rare case between games from different franchises, it's not a very valid adjective.

Not to mention, the word "retro" limits the already small scope a lot more. It honestly has no reason to matter in the discussion you're proposing.

Heck, this is practically just another "what's your favorite" thread.

Return to “Video Games”