What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

This is the place for video games!
MrPunchia
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: stay groovy

Re: What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

Postby MrPunchia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Zupermariobros wrote:I love how most of you were bashing CS over a trailer and now that the game is out your all saying it's good, that shows you that you cannot just judge a game by the trailer.
what he said

By the way, I'd rather play this game than the Thousand Year Door (anyone who hates me simply for this statement will be left to dry).
keeping in touch

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:45 pm

The writing in this game is so damn good. I actually need this game
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:08 pm

I just got TTYD yesterday, from my understanding TTYD is considered the holy grail of the paper Mario series. Only played up to the second save block in Rouge Port (it crashed right after), its good but not as good as I was lead to believe.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:31 am

Maybe I'll buy this a year or two down the road if/when it drops in price.

The last trailer I looked up actually looked really cool. The way it was originally announced (up to even the E3 trailer) didn't draw upon what appears to be the game's actual strong points. Not that I'm defending the predictable trend of negative hype surrounding new franchise installments in general lately. I actually wanted to come here to point out the latest trailer only to discover the game was already out and that people were liking it. It made me wonder, once again, if I'd failed to give Sticker Star a chance.

Everything I've seen about this suggests passion project. I don't know for sure. If anyone has proof otherwise feel free to jump gleefully at the chance to cite something making me look stupid, but I don't think Nintendo or by extension Intelligent Systems necessarily made this game to fill a PAPER MARIO quota. I think if that philosophy were a major current at Nintendo and its subsidiaries we'd have seen a more standard Metroid and an F-Zero by now.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Magician wrote:Everything I've seen about this suggests passion project. I don't know for sure. If anyone has proof otherwise feel free to jump gleefully at the chance to cite something making me look stupid, but I don't think Nintendo or by extension Intelligent Systems necessarily made this game to fill a PAPER MARIO quota. I think if that philosophy were a major current at Nintendo and its subsidiaries we'd have seen a more standard Metroid and an F-Zero by now.
Concept art suggests that the team was going for a full paper mario experience but higher ups denied them to use a more diverse cast:
Resulting in the devs getting a bit... salty in their writing with lines like...
"Man this would be so much easier if these toads didn't look the same."
"Thank you mario for talking to me, a generic toad with no distinguishable characteristics."
etc...
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:07 am

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-QT2gettEk

Love the music on this game aswell!

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:28 am

Enjl wrote:
Magician wrote:Everything I've seen about this suggests passion project. I don't know for sure. If anyone has proof otherwise feel free to jump gleefully at the chance to cite something making me look stupid, but I don't think Nintendo or by extension Intelligent Systems necessarily made this game to fill a PAPER MARIO quota. I think if that philosophy were a major current at Nintendo and its subsidiaries we'd have seen a more standard Metroid and an F-Zero by now.
Concept art suggests that the team was going for a full paper mario experience but higher ups denied them to use a more diverse cast:
Resulting in the devs getting a bit... salty in their writing with lines like...
"Man this would be so much easier if these toads didn't look the same."
"Thank you mario for talking to me, a generic toad with no distinguishable characteristics."
etc...
Why would they deny them a diverse cast?

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:28 am

Because Paper Mario from now on, only needs generic toads looking the same and dank murderous shy guys.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:38 am

Artemis008 wrote:Why would they deny them a diverse cast?
It's a trend with recent mario games. 3D Land, Paper Jam, Sticker Star, Color Splash, the New Super Mario Bros series since Wii and to an extent 3D World, Dream Team and Galaxy 2 all feel like they're being held back from adding new things to the series.
Some of these games do a good job at adding new stuff to the franchise, such as 3D World and Dream Team, and I am mostly including them on this list because of the tendency to re-introduce forgotten characters.
Since Super Paper Mario/Galaxy 1 there have been a lot of characters they brought back from old games, with 3D World and Dream Team really being the only games to go an extra mile to add their own characters beside the usual cast + some new old characters:
Yoshi (NSMBW/Galaxy 2), Charging Chuck (3D World), the Koopalings (NSMBW), Reznor (NSMB2), Dino-Rhinos (CS), Mr. Blizzard (Sticker Star).

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:49 am

Enjl wrote:
Artemis008 wrote:Why would they deny them a diverse cast?
It's a trend with recent mario games. 3D Land, Paper Jam, Sticker Star, Color Splash, the New Super Mario Bros series since Wii and to an extent 3D World, Dream Team and Galaxy 2 all feel like they're being held back from adding new things to the series.
Some of these games do a good job at adding new stuff to the franchise, such as 3D World and Dream Team, and I am mostly including them on this list because of the tendency to re-introduce forgotten characters.
Since Super Paper Mario/Galaxy 1 there have been a lot of characters they brought back from old games, with 3D World and Dream Team really being the only games to go an extra mile to add their own characters beside the usual cast + some new old characters:
Yoshi (NSMBW/Galaxy 2), Charging Chuck (3D World), the Koopalings (NSMBW), Reznor (NSMB2), Dino-Rhinos (CS), Mr. Blizzard (Sticker Star).
Its most obvious when you compare the NSMB series to the original SMB series.
All 3 of the originals were completely different games that all added new things to the series.
When looking at the NSMB series, the original DS one went for a SMB3 style which is fine for one game, not for 4 sequels.

Timaeus Bouma
Banned

Postby Timaeus Bouma » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Man, why are Mario gaymes so lame now? Nintendo just wants to make money I guess.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:18 am

So one of my friends recently got Color Splash, and he's really liking it! He says it's much better than Sticker Star! So then it must be good! I've also been thinking of getting the game myself, and I hope I get it as a Christmas present!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:33 am

Sticker Star had a good soundtrack but the rest was meh.. CS fixes that, just look at the text you get and shit

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Color Splash's battling system is still pretty lackluster tbh. I agree with most reviewers of the game who point out the general fear of fighting you get once you got a semi-decent hand.

ProngoKingdom
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Random levels

Postby ProngoKingdom » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm liking this game's soundtrack a lot more than Sticker Star's, while I liked the game's OST a bit it overused jazzy instruments which made it get repetitive really quickly. This game seems to have a nice blend of instruments (bagpipes, flutes, accordians, etc.) in it's songs.
Avatar by the talented That-Mario-Kid

Since everyone have unrelated Pokemon in their signature, I'll put some in mine too.
ImageImageImage

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:46 pm

So I finished the game after 30 hours and man is it charming. I'm really glad I gave this a chance after all.
im a girl yo

qig
Eerie
Eerie
Current Project: SMBX FORUM THE RPG (ahahaahhahaha)

Postby qig » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Just beat the game earlier today and it's really, really good outside of some problems with unnecessary insta-gameovers and the shy bandit mechanic being literal cancer.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:24 pm

I remember when people were criticizing it and saying it was just going to be another Sticker Star and that it was going to be a garbage game.

Oh boy, were they wrong.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Hani
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Spring 봄

Postby Hani » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Paper Mario 64, Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario were really great. Unfortunately Miyamoto hated those Paper Mario games because of the story. I love the story because it was funny and the antagonist isn't Bowser most of the times. Nintendo will make more Mario games with the exact same story and music to make more money.
Sticker Star was a bum to me, but Color Splash was okay. I haven't played Color Splash I just watch playthroughs of it. The graphics were pretty nice. It's like Sticker Star where Bowser is taken control by an object, first the crown now black paint. I'm honestly sad that we will never get to see more Mario Games with story lines like the 3 old Paper Mario games. I'm scared of how NX will turn out to be.

Return to “Video Games”