What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

This is the place for video games!
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Re: What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

Postby SnifitGuy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Spinda wrote: Paper Mario 64 kickstarted the series. Also, even though the core premise was the same, it was the supporting cast that still made it special. Facing Bowser at the start is another way they spiced it up. Also, the progression throughout the game was entirely different, with worlds like Shy Guy's Toybox. StSt didn't have that.
I would argue that not having worlds like Shy Guy's Toybox made the game better imo.
Spinda wrote:Also, no one ever said that it was good for Mario games to have that exact same progression, but even then in a platformer story takes a step back while the PM series has been story-driven from the start.
Yes, but you're giving PM:SS a lot of shit because it's not a clone of TTYD. Also, the fact that it's story driven is open to interpretation. I could easily argue that Paper Mario didn't have a focus on story as much as it did on making an RPG Mario game.
Spinda wrote:Also, about what you said in the map comparison: StSt uses a map like the traditional Mario games, meaning that each level has its own space on there. In turn the levels in one world aren't too different from each other.
So, you're saying that one giant environment is less boring than a bunch of levels? I don't agree, but whatever.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:20 pm

SnifitGuy wrote: Yes, but you're giving PM:SS a lot of shit because it's not a clone of TTYD. Also, the fact that it's story driven is open to interpretation. I could easily argue that Paper Mario didn't have a focus on story as much as it did on making an RPG Mario game.
This game is getting shit due to a lack of a good story, the dumbed down battle system, the cliche and boring environments, lack of any interesting characters and issue with the Thing Stickers (you get no hints where they are). I get this game is trying to do something different from other Paper Mario games and I respect that. If they fixed those issues I'm sure this game would've been great.

As for Color Splash, looks like Sticker Star just done right I suppose.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Last words:
Spoiler: show
zlakergirl357 wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote: Yes, but you're giving PM:SS a lot of shit because it's not a clone of TTYD. Also, the fact that it's story driven is open to interpretation. I could easily argue that Paper Mario didn't have a focus on story as much as it did on making an RPG Mario game.
This game is getting shit due to a lack of a good story, the dumbed down battle system, the cliche and boring environments, lack of any interesting characters and issue with the Thing Stickers (you get no hints where they are). I get this game is trying to do something different from other Paper Mario games and I respect that. If they fixed those issues I'm sure this game would've been great.
Eh, to each their own (yes, I know that "their" is not grammatically correct in singular).
zlakergirl357 wrote:As for Color Splash, looks like Sticker Star just done right I suppose.
I'm really hyped for the game based on the trailer; it really does look amazing IMO, though I will admit the environment's don't look quite as exciting (not as many npcs and shit) as the other console ports. The color mechanic really reminds me of Epic Mickey (anyone else play that game?).
EDIT:

Some basic gameplay of the whole thing, I guess. I didn't watch too much, but I'm glad that you can use both the standard hammer and the color hammer (although, I think the original hammer will slowly become less and less useful throughout the game).

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:39 pm

that "their" was grammatically correct

i find it interesting how color splash manages to look less colorful than super paper mario
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:13 am

zlakergirl357 wrote:Bosses becomes a pushover when you've Thing Stickers. So yeah, no point of fighting enemies.

Also the original Paper Mario's Bowser's Castle had puzzles and enemies worth fighting. Where as Sticker Star you just went there and fought Bowser right away.
I really agree with zlaker with this one. :|
Custom mega drive playable sprites
Mario RPG goals (62% completed)
My Pixiv
Best Quotes: show
Danny wrote:
Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 pm
No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 am
That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 am

Enjl wrote: i find it interesting how color splash manages to look less colorful than super paper mario
That's especially ironic considering how the game focuses on colors, or is that the reason it is interesting? If so, then it's also interesting because the Wii U has more powerful hardware. However, if you watch the gameplay for it, it does seem to get more colorful later on.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am

disappointing would be another way to describe it

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:15 am

Aaand turns out I just hadn't seen the good parts of the game yet. Definitely buying this, the writing is ingenious and the ending might make you cry too.

FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:42 am

One thing, Ain't gonna get this game! :roll:
My Pixiv
Danny wrote:
No creativeness.

Idunn wrote:
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:47 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:One thing, Ain't gonna get this game! :roll:
Why not? It's very good!

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:52 am

Haven't seen any real plot spoilers yet but I've seen a few hours of a stream and this game actually looks super good. The soundtrack is amazing, the writing is on point and the battle system looks like a huge step up from Sticker Star.
im a girl yo

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:00 am

Reason? Never post atuff wirhout a good reason to why not.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:15 am

The ending might make you cry tho

FireyPaperMario
Toad
Toad

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 am

Mable wrote:
Reason? Never post atuff wirhout a good reason to why not.
Here's my reason, ever since I got Sticker Star, I felt very disappointed! And I rather play the first 3 "Paper Mario" games than feel more disappointed. :|
My Pixiv
Danny wrote:
No creativeness.

Idunn wrote:
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:39 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:Here's my reason, ever since I got Sticker Star, I felt very disappointed! And I rather play the first 3 "Paper Mario" games than feel more disappointed. :|
Color Splash is SOOO much better than Sticker Star, believe me.

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:48 am

CS is actually like Nintendo realized their mistakes and tried the best to make CS a good looking game.

Just because SS wasn't that great doesn't mean everything after it also is bad.

Don't judge a book by it's cover without trying to look on it.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:13 am

Can't believe Color Splash is actually very good! Soundtrack and the writing is amazing and such... but not sure if I want to get the game since if I do it's like the first Paper Mario ever played in the series but yeah.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no

Postby AirSeus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:26 pm

I love how most of you were bashing CS over a trailer and now that the game is out your all saying it's good, that shows you that you cannot just judge a game by the trailer.
I dunno, something inspirational is supposed to go here so here I go:

Realize the difference between criticism and hate.
Criticism is direct feedback about the level that helps and tells you what you could do better and/or what you could expand upon.
Hate is direct insults towards you/your level that tell you nothing other than how bad you are.

AKA: Don't cry at every responce you get, just ignore hate and respond to criticism.

ProngoKingdom
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby ProngoKingdom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:48 pm

I know this game turned out better than most people thought it would, but I don't see how just the presentation and the writing can make a whole game good, and a Paper Mario one at that. It's like a spoonful of sugar in a glass of vinegar, the sugar makes it taste better but it still has a bit of a sour taste to it. The partner cards were a bad replacement of actual partners imo, the story still seems pretty generic even though it is improved a bit, and the boss battles are of course just "use this one thing card to win the battle, otherwise you're screwed". Gonna definitely check this game out though, it still might be entertaining and I'll never finally decide my opinion about it until I actually play it.
Avatar by the talented That-Mario-Kid

Since everyone have unrelated Pokemon in their signature, I'll put some in mine too.
ImageImageImage

Muyoko
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Muyoko » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:16 am

Color Splash sounds like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. If only I played games on the Wii U...

Return to “Video Games”