What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

This is the place for video games!
Sogogi110

What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

Postby Sogogi110 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Cause I honestly don't know what to expect. But man I wished they'd freaking go "Hey! Thousand Year Door sold better than any other Paper Mario game EVER! I wonder if there's a reason for that?"

Also, I can't wait for the day Paper Mario 64 or TTYL hacks become a thing. I have a feeling they'll bring the real magic of a Paper Mario game back

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Re: What are your thoughts with "Paper Mario: Color Splash"?

Postby zlaker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:06 am

oh yeah and the koopalings are in the game too, can't have a mario game without them, amirite?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

qig
Eerie
Eerie

Postby qig » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:00 pm

"Hey! Thousand Year Door sold better than any other Paper Mario game EVER! I wonder if there's a reason for that?"
there's a distinct reason this isn't the case. i'm sure you can figure it out.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Sogogi110 wrote:Cause I honestly don't know what to expect. But man I wished they'd freaking go "Hey! Thousand Year Door sold better than any other Paper Mario game EVER! I wonder if there's a reason for that?"

Also, I can't wait for the day Paper Mario 64 or TTYL hacks become a thing. I have a feeling they'll bring the real magic of a Paper Mario game back

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:22 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:oh yeah and the koopalings are in the game too, can't have a mario game without them, amirite?
Despite receiving a lot of attention in recent years in the NSMB and Mario Kart series, the Koopalings historically haven't been in that many games since the SNES era. Adding them to the Paper Mario series is cool.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:05 pm

Not to divert this into a "Which Super Paper Mario game is the best?" conversation, but I personally hope that Color Splash will be more like Super Paper Mario in terms of gameplay mechanics; TTYD was overrated, being less enjoyable than Sticker Star imo (let the hate begin), and I personally think the original N64 was the second best version of the game. Anyway, I think that Color Splash will be a good game if it follows more closely to the Super Paper Mario game than the others.

Garro
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Garro » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:23 am

Ace wrote:
Sogogi110 wrote:Cause I honestly don't know what to expect. But man I wished they'd freaking go "Hey! Thousand Year Door sold better than any other Paper Mario game EVER! I wonder if there's a reason for that?"

Thus:
Paper Mario/N64 Sales = 1.37/32.93 = 0.042 = 4.2%
PM:TTYD/GCN Sales = 1.91/21.74 = 0.088 = 8.8%
SPM/Wii Sales = 4.23/101.63 = 0.042 = 4.2%
PM:SS/3DS Sales = 2.21/58.85 = 0.038 = 3.8%

If we compare the sales with the install base, Stickers Stars had the worst performance in sales, it only got high sales because the 3DS itself have high sales. But yeah, it's also correct that TTYD isn't the most selling Paper Mario out there (Actually until now I thought it was Stickers Stars, I forgot Wii huge install base).

qig
Eerie
Eerie

Postby qig » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:41 am

it only got high sales because the 3DS itself have high sales.
theres not really a single shred of evidence to support this.

also attach rate doesn't matter either, what matters is profit. more sales = more profit = nintendo more likely to make game similar to that one.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:05 am

Am I the only one here that enjoyed sticker star? It wasn't my favorite game on the 3DS, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:55 am

Artemis008 wrote:Am I the only one here that enjoyed sticker star? It wasn't my favorite game on the 3DS, but I didn't think it was that bad.
No; I still enjoy Sticker Star to this day. It receives way too much hate imo. I mean, no, it wasn't the best of the Paper Mario series, but it was definitely a close third in terms of enjoyability; I got bored as hell with TTYD.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:29 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:I got bored as hell with TTYD.
TTYD is literally PM64 but better

And yeah, the Koopalings used to be used pretty rarely and them having been in M&L SS was pretty big, but they've been in so many games lately that it's nothing new anymore. The games used to have new villains, like the X-Nauts or Count Bleck (PM64 being an exception because it was the first of its kind not counting SMRPG, and even then most things outside from that were still unique) and they even put a spin on generic characters like Goombas, Koopas etc. by making a lot of them have unique designs. Superstar Saga used them correctly by still having a lot of original bosses/characters aside from the Koopalings, but it seems like Color Splash is just gonna use them as the end-of-world bosses. At least Sticker Star had somewhat unique bosses.
im a girl yo

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:44 pm

(Not really my thought but oh well...)

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3fa6TKWVo
Last edited by bossedit8 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Spinda wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:I got bored as hell with TTYD.
TTYD is literally PM64 but better
Again, my opinion is different than everyone else's I know, but the fact remains that I did not enjoyed TTYD the least out of all the Paper Mario games.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:53 pm

I haven't played TTYD but I have played a bit of the original with emulators. It looks really good for a N64 game, and it plays really well too. The paper style just works well for the system imo. I also played a bit of Super Paper Mario on the wii a while ago, it wasn't as much of an RPG as the other ones but was a lot of fun none the less.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Artemis008 wrote:I haven't played TTYD but I have played a bit of the original with emulators. It looks really good for a N64 game, and it plays really well too. The paper style just works well for the system imo. I also played a bit of Super Paper Mario on the wii a while ago, it wasn't as much of an RPG as the other ones but was a lot of fun none the less.
TTYD was on the Gamecube, not the N64.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:15 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
Artemis008 wrote:I haven't played TTYD but I have played a bit of the original with emulators. It looks really good for a N64 game, and it plays really well too. The paper style just works well for the system imo. I also played a bit of Super Paper Mario on the wii a while ago, it wasn't as much of an RPG as the other ones but was a lot of fun none the less.
TTYD was on the Gamecube, not the N64.
I know, I meant the original looks really good for the N64.

LoZFTW
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby LoZFTW » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:29 pm

My thoughts on Color Splash?
dontscrewthisup
dontscrewthisup
DON'T SCREW THIS UP NINTENDO FOR GODS SAKE
Welcome to the revolution!
GO for broke!
Image Image

Sewpah
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sewpah » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:30 pm

All I gotta say is the series is dead with a capital DEAD, even though I kinda enjoyed Sticker Star as a standalone game rather than a Paper Mario game and got bored of it when I first defeated the final boss. This, on the other hand, is the final nail on the coffin for the Paper Mario series as I see, after crossing paths with the actual Mario Bros. in M&L:PJ and then this was announced, for me, it feels the same as Sticker Star, only that I will get bored of it immediately after I first defeat the final boss. If Nintendo decides to listen to its fans bring back Paper Mario as the RPG it was, then nobody loses, but from what I saw in the trailer, and a bit of the E3 Demo, I guess everyone loses, even Nintendo for making a decision that made the long-time Paper Mario fans less than disappointed, but more than mad. In conclusion, Paper Mario ends here.
Video Game Licenses:

Stuff I support:
-The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Sewpah wrote:If Nintendo decides to listen to its fans bring back Paper Mario as the RPG it was, then nobody loses
I feel that people don't like the newer Paper Mario Games because they are not the same as TTYD, but I got a newsflash for ya; TTYD is never coming back, Nintendo has moved on and is trying out new things, and they won't bring back the original game. Besides, Nintendo does not have a track record of bringing exactly what the fans want; they like to innovate, and have a habit of trying out new things, something that pretty much every gamer hates nowadays.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Wtf

SS is pretty much objectively more shallow than TTYD. No story, shallower gameplay, bad boss design etc. It's not that Sticker Star is different, it's simply that the gameplay concept is not engaging because battles aren't encouraged in any way. Kind of like how MP9/10 fucked up the older MP's gameplay.
im a girl yo

Return to “Video Games”