Postby Aero » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:23 pm

The NES is coming back ooo-ooo
It wants the world to know
Got to let it show

bossedit8
Banned

Re: The NES is coming back.

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Honestly I liked the NES era a lot by it's system and by having simple graphics like this... and more like classic games such as Super Mario Bros., Mega Man, Castlevania and more...

Ecruteak
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: It's been...

Postby Ecruteak » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:45 am

It's about time Nintendo made a plug and play console with their classic games.
Sadly, here in Australia, it's about $100 because of the differences in currency. That's not stopping me from buying it, however.
I love classic games, and getting my hands on this is something I have to do.

Also, why is everyone so disappointed about the 30-game limit? The included games are pretty lengthy and challenging, and that's exactly why Nintendo chose them for the system.
also why isnt hydlide on this console im suing
Ambiguously active.

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm

This is the most un-Nintendo thing that Nintendo has done in a long, LONG time.

I like it.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:20 am

Here's a fun question for you guys, When you purchase the new NES Mini, what games are you going to play? :ugeek:
I guess I'll put my whole focus on "Super Mario Bros. 3" & "Final Fantasy 1"! ^.^')
(Coming soon in 81 days from today: Sega Mega Drive GFX pack)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby Electriking » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 am

I bet you could play all those games for free on the internet somewhere though. I know Virtual NES used to exist although it seems to have disappeared (Possibly copyright issues or something).
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:39 am

you can play those games for free literally anywhere basically, but piracy isn't a valid argument against products.

minerdude456
Rex
Rex

Postby minerdude456 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:59 am

If Nintendo decides to finally give us the Famicom games that should have come overseas (Gradius 2 and Gimmick!), that's one more reason for me to save up for this.
Something something signature something.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:34 pm

NightKawata wrote:
Spoiler: show
Sup3rM4r10Br0s wrote:Even Though this is a late time to announce it, I'm hoping they'll put a cartridge port on it.
So then I could play my favorite game, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide!!! (there is sarcasm in that statement, so don't ask) :D
It's not getting any additional support. The 30 games you get are the 30 games you get. It sucks, but keep in mind, this is a cash grab.

Ace's reply was the most well-rounded, and summarizes the entire thing quite well.
Now, don't get me wrong, I think the NES is great. However, there's this thing called "the virtual console," which is a hell of a lot better.
This is only good if for some reason you lack a computer, or a game console. The NES classic controller is the best thing to come out of this, if it's any bit accurate. At least that I will give credit to.

This isn't "the NES is coming back." The NES did not just come out again. Well, not in the same way. This isn't 1985. This is 2016. Sadly, the times are a lot different.

Sure, it's a collector's item. But besides that, this thing is awful. It doesn't even emulate playing games on an old CRT TV with some froot loops on Saturday morning. It's a small NES that laughs at you saying "haha you fell for the nostalgia card."
Sure, it supports Nintendo, and if you really haven't played any of the old games (or experimented via VC, emulation, etc), I mean, it's better than nothing. But comparing it to the other options, it begins to fall flat on its face. It runs through standard HDMI, so it's not completely accurate to what the NES did; hell, it's probably an emulator, like someone mentioned earlier in the topic. On one hand, it's smart, since Nintendo gets a HUGE RoI for this, but at the same time, we could have received something a lot more substantial, I feel.

Hell, something like SEGA's genesis collection would have been cool. At least it kinda looks like a room in the 90s...?
At least give us a wacky 80's manual, some stickers (hell, add some scratch n' sniff for ultimate 80's flair), a hat, and some other goodies in there as well, if we want to celebrate nostalgia.
This is a huge cash grab, and I'm just repeating what some dude said earlier; with that being said, I totally agree with that dude.

The one thing I would have at least liked was some way to add more games. Hell, if they were proprietary memory chips, I would have been fine with that. Having some expansion would have been lovely.
I still think they should have included Castlevania III instead of Donkey Kong Jr. I think we can all agree with this, at least. They included Castlevania II, they should have included the third game to buffer the fact that II was not a good game.

TN: I'm not trying to bash Nintendo or anything, I just think this SHOULD have been a joke, or not made at all.

TLDR: this could have been better, but ace's post is better, so yeah
It's admittedly very true that you can't use a console to replicate fruit loops, Saturday mornings, and CRTs. They all do still exist, though I'm not sure you should need those things to enjoy the product. In fact I don't think it works with old CRTs at all. Doesn't it use HDMI? Oh well.

It doesn't have to be about nostalgia, either. Isn't it like the cheapest legitimate way for someone who never experienced NES to see what it was like for themselves? It's also a collector's item like you said. There are plenty of games on there I never played because I didn't have an NES for very long. My parents got rid of the NES when the SNES came along.

I've seen the things people do to their rooms in dedication of Nintendo, or at least retro stuff. It may not be for everyone, but I can see this being an easy sell.

Return to “Video Games”