Zelda

This is the place for video games!
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Re: Zelda

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:11 pm

So...how are you guys finding Breath of the Wild so far? I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm planning to wait and get it when the Switch price drops. No spoilers!
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Dude, I haven't played Botw, but I haven't also seen the Game Grumps' let's play of this game due to major SPOILERS!!!
(Coming soon in 82 days from today: Sega Mega Drive GFX pack)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD

Nanaya Jacob
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: When's Mafia

Postby Nanaya Jacob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:05 pm

been playing it for a while, and i still have not gone to a semi main dungeon
CurrentBIGMOOD11/9/18: show
Don't expect me to do anything SMBX related, I'm only really here for nostalgia and Mafia.
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
1 wrote:Mafia is such a riveting game when you make accusations on Night fucking 1 ain't it?

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no

Postby AirSeus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm

HeroLinik wrote:So...how are you guys finding Breath of the Wild so far? I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm planning to wait and get it when the Switch price drops. No spoilers!
That game has had more hate than destiny first release, so I guess, it isnt that good? I dont know, I haven't played it. Apparently, it has the same problem as PM: Sticker star had, but worse where you can end the game nearly as soon as you start it, but that's what I heard anyway...
I dunno, something inspirational is supposed to go here so here I go:

Realize the difference between criticism and hate.
Criticism is direct feedback about the level that helps and tells you what you could do better and/or what you could expand upon.
Hate is direct insults towards you/your level that tell you nothing other than how bad you are.

AKA: Don't cry at every responce you get, just ignore hate and respond to criticism.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:09 pm

IzIcy wrote:
HeroLinik wrote:So...how are you guys finding Breath of the Wild so far? I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm planning to wait and get it when the Switch price drops. No spoilers!
That game has had more hate than destiny first release, so I guess, it isnt that good? I dont know, I haven't played it. Apparently, it has the same problem as PM: Sticker star had, but worse where you can end the game nearly as soon as you start it, but that's what I heard anyway...
Just because you can beat the game in 15 minutes, it doesn't mean the game is bad. This game was hyped up like crazy pre-release and even reviewers are losing it - this game might even be the next Ocarina of Time based on the review scores, and also the fact that the game managed to pull off the open world concept very well - a first for Zelda ever since Zelda 1.
YouTube channel

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby AirSeus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:15 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
IzIcy wrote:
Just because you can beat the game in 15 minutes, it doesn't mean the game is bad. This game was hyped up like crazy pre-release and even reviewers are losing it - this game might even be the next Ocarina of Time based on the review scores, and also the fact that the game managed to pull off the open world concept very well - a first for Zelda ever since Zelda 1.
I mean, people are hating it because, in some videos of the game, especially the boss fight videos, the comments say that the game is underwhelming and focuses on the environment rather than the gameplay, which tbh, I have only played twilight princess, so I have no say.

Criticism is direct feedback about the level that helps and tells you what you could do better and/or what you could expand upon.
Hate is direct insults towards you/your level that tell you nothing other than how bad you are.

AKA: Don't cry at every responce you get, just ignore hate and respond to criticism.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm

IzIcy wrote:That game has had more hate than destiny first release
what kind of insane parallel universe are you living in
im a girl yo

Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: squid kid

Postby Rhosty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Spinda wrote:
apparently a universe where "short" games are considered bad

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby AirSeus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Spinda wrote:
A world that if a game has either had allot of sequels/ prequels or if a game isnt as good as a game made before it, then that game and developers are considered shit or dead.

Quill
Rydia
Rydia

Postby Quill » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Breath of the Wild is pretty rad!

ragont
Grinder
Grinder

Postby ragont » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Quill wrote:Breath of the Wild is pretty rad!
I was watching a friend play it on the Wii U and in Kakariko village it drops to 10 FPS. Also poor framerate overall, who thought this was a good idea?

Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: squid kid

Postby Rhosty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:11 pm

ragont wrote:
Quill wrote:Breath of the Wild is pretty rad!
I was watching a friend play it on the Wii U and in Kakariko village it drops to 10 FPS. Also poor framerate overall, who thought this was a good idea?
But that's on the Wii U. I'm positive the Switch version has faster frame rates. I'm surprised the Wii U couldn't handle Breath of the Wild's graphics, it could handle the realistic objects in Color Splash. But yeah, I don't know who would put a game intended for the Switch on a Wii U.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 am

i think they should have fucked off with the wii u version because it just tries to splash dirt on the game's overall image

plus why have a wii u version of the switch launch title it makes it silly to buy a switch to a consumer's mind
i mean the wii u version isn't good, but still

now the switch version, yeah that shit runs great

as to who asked why the wii u has problems, it probably wasn't designed at all for the wii u, so it has issues trying to render it, much like saints row 2 on pc
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:11 am

NightKawata wrote:i think they should have fucked off with the wii u version because it just tries to splash dirt on the game's overall image

plus why have a wii u version of the switch launch title it makes it silly to buy a switch to a consumer's mind
i mean the wii u version isn't good, but still

now the switch version, yeah that shit runs great

as to who asked why the wii u has problems, it probably wasn't designed at all for the wii u, so it has issues trying to render it, much like saints row 2 on pc
Erm, this game was called "The Legend of Zelda Wii U" for a very long time; it wasn't being made for the Switch. It's the same story that happened with Twilight Princess; the reason it's on the Switch is because the development of Breath of the Wild took so long that the Switch was preparing to launch by the time that the game was in its final stages, so they decided to port it to both consoles. And as for why they couldn't just put it on the Switch - that would honestly be a bad idea, because it would leave the Wii U without a Zelda title, and would kill off the Wii U while also making fans turn away from Nintendo entirely (IIRC some people bought a Wii U just for BotW), which would seriously affect Nintendo considering how badly the Wii U flopped. Why develop a game for one console only to throw it away to another console afterwards?
YouTube channel

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:58 am

If you want to be realistic about something, the Wii U and the Switch have no differences in framerates, the only difference is that the Switch has a cleaner polish (at a higher resolution) than the Wii U's, but this hasn't adversely affected performances. The game does have considerate frame drops (as little as 10 frames, which is an improvement upon one of the demo's 5 frame drops), but I think those frame drops have been a little blown out of proportion, because they don't occur as often as people make them out to occur. Yes, they happen anyway, and that's not really pleasant sounding, but about 98% of the time, they never affect combat or any other important aspect of the game, other than I exploration I guess, but even with that it only happens in the Great Plateau, and not much elsewhere.

The game is well polished and obviously a lot of work has gone into it (performance issues aside). It really does seem enjoyable, but there is a considerable lack of a Zelda charm missing from it. I do enjoy the intrigue and setup of the shrines and various other secrets strewn about the world, but there's a real lack of emotion and storyline to invest yourself into, and the dungeons are almost completely worthless (and not very fun, might I add). I feel like one of the things that really draws the game out is that it lacks the dungeon items previous Zelda games had. Where I was once looking forward to finding the next super cool addition to my arsenal of super cool items, I have absolutely no drive or desire to delve into any of the dungeons anymore (that and the dungeon bosses kinda suck). I feel like the world encounters are built well, but there just isn't a whole lot of variety with enemies, encountering and beating the hell out of bokoblins gets tiring real quick.

Another missing aspect to the game I feel is the soundtrack, because many Zelda games have had great soundtracks, this one doesn't have much of a soundtrack to it at all. While I do enjoy the few tunes that play (especially the miniboss theme), a lot of them feel kind of empty and as full of adventure or epicness that I recall past Zelda titles bearing. While this game is a step in a good direction for the franchise, I don't really want to see another of its type birthed in the next few games, I kind of want to see a traditional-style Zelda game put out using the new hardware we have now, maybe a game with a story-driven narrative like that of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, or Wind Waker. I also feel like the game wont have a lot of memorable moments to it (although it might), compared to other Zelda titles. Remember characters like Groose, Midna, Ghirahim, the King of Red Lions, Ruto, etc. etc. etc.? The only character I can remember particularly well from Breath of the Wild so far is Kass.

tl;dr I think the game is kind of overrated but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Syndrilevosse wrote:Another missing aspect to the game I feel is the soundtrack, because many Zelda games have had great soundtracks, this one doesn't have much of a soundtrack to it at all.
Actually, if they added a soundtrack in every location like with the previous Zelda titles, it would kill the mood of the game. The reason the went for very little music was to put more emphasis on the atmosphere and give the world more room to breathe. It would just feel really...weird if you were walking through a barren, ruined overworld with the Zelda theme song blaring in the background, because in this game you're not the hero in green garb toting a sword and shield; you're just a Hylian who was the hero, but now just surviving off the land and using whatever comes to you.
YouTube channel

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:22 pm

I actually just got a CiB copy of wind water for game cube from gamestop online for 20 bucks. I'm really enjoying it so far. I got to the part were SPOILERS
Spoiler: show
Tetra is revealed to be Zelda, you first meet the king, and you have to visit the temples to restore the master swords power.
The only dungeon I didn't like was the deku tree one, and surprise surprise the game crashed right after I beat the boss so I had to play it twice. It's got my favorite incarnation of Ganondorf by far, and it's a phenomenal looking game even by today's standards.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:52 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
Syndrilevosse wrote:Another missing aspect to the game I feel is the soundtrack, because many Zelda games have had great soundtracks, this one doesn't have much of a soundtrack to it at all.
Actually, if they added a soundtrack in every location like with the previous Zelda titles, it would kill the mood of the game. The reason the went for very little music was to put more emphasis on the atmosphere and give the world more room to breathe.
And it really doesn't breathe all that much. Yeah, there is some semblance of atmosphere, but most of the time the game is really quiet and doesn't present itself as having a boisterous wildlife or a general mood. While running around, you don't get this sense of "Wow, I'm on a grand journey!" or anything of that sort, you get nothing except a few birds chirping. You kind of need to have an atmosphere to have an atmosphere.
HeroLinik wrote:It would just feel really...weird if you were walking through a barren, ruined overworld with the Zelda theme song blaring in the background,
You know full well this is an overexaggeration. Zelda games have pulled off the "barren, ruined overworld" to an extent while still having really good songs. The idea of the soundtrack isn't just to have it sit there as background noise, it's to add emotion to the current situation. If you want a great example of this...

Those tracks convey emotion and really set a mood for the moment. Out of all the minimal tracks in Breath of the Wild, none of them convey this level of setting, and the soundtrack honestly seems to have had the least amount of effort put into it, and even still, none of the tracks in the game can convey the epic journey the other games have given:

They just beat out this.

HeroLinik wrote:in this game you're not the hero in green garb toting a sword and shield; you're just a Hylian who was the hero, but now just surviving off the land and using whatever comes to you.
That's really a lazy excuse to defend your already lazy point. If you even played through the first three hours of the game, you still are the hero, nothing has changed in that regard. You will still be the hero that defeats Calamity Ganon, you will still be the hero that saves Zelda, you haven't just become "some Hylian". It is explicitly stated many, and I mean countless times in the game's overarching story that you, Link, are the hero, and will always be the hero, and you can detest to that all you want, but I'm not wrong.
Artemis008 wrote:wind water
okay
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:40 am

personally, I really enjoyed the dungeons I've done so far. There's some nice puzzles in there and I love how interconnected they are.
im a girl yo

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 am

Artemis008 wrote:I actually just got a CiB copy of wind water for game cube from gamestop online for 20 bucks. I'm really enjoying it so far. I got to the part were SPOILERS
Tetra is revealed to be Zelda, you first meet the king, and you have to visit the temples to restore the master swords power.
I wouldn't really consider that a spoiler anymore. Sure, it could be a twist for people playing for the first time, but the game's been out for 15 years and a lot of people know it already. It was even referenced in the sequel games, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. It's like with the whole "Sheik is Zelda" thing - it was a twist at the time, but nearly everyone knows it, it even being referenced in Melee.
YouTube channel

Return to “Video Games”