Zelda

This is the place for video games!
Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Zelda

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:34 pm

I am pretty sure everyone knows what Zelda is. There isn't a topic for it, so I decided to make on for it. Anyways, talk about Zelda here. =)

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Zelda

Postby Murphmario » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 pm

My favorite game in the series is probably A Link To The Past. It is also my most complete game, with me only having some more chests to find, as well as heart pieces and the 4th bottle, as well as Ganon. I would like it if they remade it in 3d, not including a changed storyline like in A Link Between Worlds.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Yoshibrothers
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Yoshibrothers » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 am

Quite a fan of Zelda, actually. I have been hooked ever since I played oracle of seasons back in 2003. I have played every mainstream zelda game with the exception of Four Swords Adventures(and 100% just about all of them). From defeating monsters, to going through dangerous dungeons, to even just playing some minigames, I have always loved the zelda franchise and am happy knowing that it is one of the franchises that continue to live on and thrive.
I've returned.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:59 pm

I have beaten Zelda, Zelda II, Link to the Past (about 4 times), Link's Awakening (about 3 times), Ocarina of Time (on N64 3 times, on Gamecube once or twice, and on the 3D version), Ocarina of Time Master Quest (3D version, haven't played the GC version in a while), Four Swords Adventure (like 3 times), Minish Cap, Twilight Princess (twice), Phantom Hourglass (twice), Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds (working on Hero Mode). Yes, I have beaten a lot of Zelda games (a lot more than once), and I very much enjoy the franchise. It has a great story-line, and has a huge background story, in which how one game actually leads into another. I have a whole encyclopedia called "Hyrule Historia". I have learned how, whether any people realize it or not, all the games connect somehow. They aren't necessarily in order, though. Anyways, Zelda is one of my favorite games of all time, and it'll probably stay that way. xD

Yoshibrothers
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Yoshibrothers » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm currently trying to best boss world records in OoT3D. Volvagia's is 30.10. my best as of far is 33.40.
I've returned.

Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Namyrr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:47 pm

I might just be the only person who didn't grow up playing Zelda.

Firespike33
Bit
Bit

Postby Firespike33 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:21 am

Namyrr wrote:I might just be the only person who didn't grow up playing Zelda.
You aren't. Sort of. I played nothing but Mario, Star Fox and Donkey Kong on the SNES for a while. A little more recently, I have played a bit of Spirit Tracks, beaten Ocarina of Time 3D, and played some other NES Zeldas on the Wii, but that's about it.

Anyway, I loved Ocarina of Time, but the puzzles really bugged me. The trial-and-error aspect was annoying and it felt discouraging to run around rooms repeatedly until I figured them out. I still enjoyed it overall, though. I heard from an IGN review that most Zelda games copy mechanics from game to game, like use of the hookshot, boomerang, etc., meaning that getting a boomerang for the 6th time isn't really exciting. I wouldn't know, as I haven't played very many. However, the new Zelda does seem interesting. I might try to get it, but it's a bit expensive.

Off-topic: That avatar is freakin' me out.

I think Dragon Ball is a pretty cool guy. Eh shoots lazers and doesn't afraid of anything.

Also known as Jack33 and Bob-ombs.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:06 am

I must agree that the mechanics between the late Zelda games have been largely unchanged. A Link Between Worlds reveals a change in direction that will do away with a lot of that, though, and one of my friends recommended it to me as the "best Zelda game ever". I do look forward to playing it at some point, though I'm not as into playing games as I once was.

In 2012 I did a run of A Link to the Past wherein I beat it with just the blue Master Sword, no silver arrows (I had to glitch Ganon for that, making for a tougher final boss), and no heart pieces or upgrades. I beat it without dying. That was really fun to master and it took me a couple weeks of practice. I've also done three heart runs of Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, and Twilight Princess, though I don't think I managed any of those without dying.

I am an impassioned fan of Zelda, and I was really disappointed with Skyward Sword for that reason. I had such high expectations—maybe impossibly, unfairly high. But that's okay; maybe the Wii U Zelda will suit me better.

Megar
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Megar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:28 pm

i'm glad you all love me so much
disgusting

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:40 pm

No problem. You're a GREAT thing in existence.

thenintendobros
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby thenintendobros » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 am

So this is a thing:

It's apparently a spinoff, not a main installment. Any thoughts on this, guys? I honestly think this game would be awesome bc I think it focuses more on Link's fighting skills and stuff. Plus Scarf Link looks cool.

icemario12
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby icemario12 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:35 am

Quess I like pretty much Mario AND Zelda games. They were great to play! My favourites were the first two Zelda games and Skyward Sword. If you thought Ocarina of Time was my favourite, well think again. I liked more the 2D aspects of game mechanics of top-down visual and the beauty sceneries ( Only Skyward Sword has those aspects for me, from what I played 'till now. I still have to try The Wind Waker HD. Oh, it would be perfect if ONLY I would have got a Wii U!

HEY, THIS GAME SERIES IS FUN.

You could even say that...
it's li- gets kicked in the shin

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50 pm

The graphics in Hyrule Warriors freak me out a little. They just don't look… right, or anything like other Zelda games. I guess that's what people said about WInd Waker when it was announced, but this looks too realistic to me, so it's a bit of a different situation, I think.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Yoshibrothers
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Yoshibrothers » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 am

Pseudo-dino wrote:The graphics in Hyrule Warriors freak me out a little. They just don't look… right, or anything like other Zelda games. I guess that's what people said about WInd Waker when it was announced, but this looks too realistic to me, so it's a bit of a different situation, I think.
But should realism surprise us at this point? The Wind Waker provided a cartoon atmosphere, Twilight Princess a more dark or even gothic atmosphere, and Skyward Sword in a water-color atmosphere. They've been trying out the different art styles.
I've returned.

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:23 pm

I read somewhere that this (is) was originally a mod to some other game and was pretty unimpressed with the general feel of it.

Keddy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Keddy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 am

Yeah Zelda has to be my No. #1 top game to play right now. I've played and beat all of them except of course four swords adventure(where am i supposed to find four friends, with cables, and a gamecube?) None the less, the rest are great. I think the best Zelda was on the GBA with the Minish Cap, that game to me was very magical when I played it, not to mention the music/secrets/characters/etc. damn what a fine game. I have to ask though, did anyone have any "frustrating moments" while playing Skyward Sword? I had a bunch, and the worst were in the Lanayru Desert area with the Machine tower cyclops thing that would zapp you. When I didn't have arrows I would have to do a sideways swing, but then Link(u) does a diagnol slash, and then the Cyclops tower zapped me over and over again! Other than that it was a good game.
Oh and Hyrule Warriors Is basically Dynasty Warriors with Zelda on it.
If my grammar ever seems bad, that's because me vale bien y bonito! :v
nya: show

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm a big fan of the series and I played most Zelda games (except certain 2D ones. The only one I finished is Minish Cap.) I don't care about the repetitiveness of some mechanics in the series. Those items are indispensable to Zelda as a whole, I think. Plus whenever Nintendo experiments something daring with the series, people flip out (Skyward Sword and Wind Waker are good examples of this.)

Skyward Sword was a letdown for me. The motion accessory is a great idea but Nintendo overdid it. I like swinging the remote to control Link but sometimes the controls get clumsy. For instance, I sometimes dash when I try to roll, I do a spin attack when I try to do a horizontal slash, and just jump at the enemy while trying to do a jump attack. This kind of stuff ruined the experience for me. I have to admit Ancient Cistern was an amazing dungeon though. Another thing I don't like about the controls is how they removed some of the classic controls to suit the remote accessory. Since when do you shoot with a ranged weapon with A instead of B? I know this sounds nitpicky but I really feel like all these small details ruin the original design.

It's also worth mentioning that calibrating the Wii Remote over and over again is really tedious and Fi only adds to the tediousness. I though they had learned from their mistakes after Navi, and the King of Red Lions, Tatl and Midna were great partners. I don't want anyone to remind me that I'm running out of hearts or that my Wii remote charge is dangerously low. I don't need to be told obvious stuff like 'Press A to shoot'. It just ruins the intuitiveness of the game's controls.

Twilight Princess was much better in that regard. While the game starts really slowly (all the tutorials are long and cannot be skipped,) the overall game is truly great. The story was darker and the villains were interesting, specifically Zant. The dungeons were the best I've ever seen in a Zelda game (Arbiter's Grounds blew me away) and the controls were perfect. The Wii Remote was used so well I felt like I was Link all during the game. The bosses were far too easy though.

The Wind Waker was great too. The best part of the game is sailing and exploring the Great Sea. That felt like I had limitless possibilities. Later in the game, I got my own Private Island, a lot of rupees, treasure, charts, the Hero's Charm, and I was only about halfway through the game. The dungeons were disappointing though. My favorite character is Medli and the story was very immersive.

Majora's Mask is the best game of all time to me due to its symbolism and amazing gameplay.

Yoshibrothers
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Yoshibrothers » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Raster wrote: Skyward Sword was a letdown for me. The motion accessory is a great idea but Nintendo overdid it. I like swinging the remote to control Link but sometimes the controls get clumsy. For instance, I sometimes dash when I try to roll, I do a spin attack when I try to do a horizontal slash, and just jump at the enemy while trying to do a jump attack. This kind of stuff ruined the experience for me. Another thing I don't like about the controls is how they removed some of the classic controls to suit the remote accessory. Since when do you shoot with a ranged weapon with A instead of B? I know this sounds nitpicky but I really feel like all these small details ruin the original design.
People are always on this when I hear about Skyward Sword. I had the very same issues at first, but once I understood how the controls worked, I used them like it was instinct. You just need to get a feel for it. I do agree that the calibration got annoying sometimes. I also think that ranged weapons should have been B instead of A. Aside from those minor issues, I loved Skyward Sword's gameplay and storyline very much. It made many things in the zelda timeline more clear and understandable.
I've returned.

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Dusk/Yoshibrothers™ wrote:
Raster wrote: Skyward Sword was a letdown for me. The motion accessory is a great idea but Nintendo overdid it. I like swinging the remote to control Link but sometimes the controls get clumsy. For instance, I sometimes dash when I try to roll, I do a spin attack when I try to do a horizontal slash, and just jump at the enemy while trying to do a jump attack. This kind of stuff ruined the experience for me. Another thing I don't like about the controls is how they removed some of the classic controls to suit the remote accessory. Since when do you shoot with a ranged weapon with A instead of B? I know this sounds nitpicky but I really feel like all these small details ruin the original design.
People are always on this when I hear about Skyward Sword. I had the very same issues at first, but once I understood how the controls worked, I used them like it was instinct. You just need to get a feel for it. I do agree that the calibration got annoying sometimes. I also think that ranged weapons should have been B instead of A. Aside from those minor issues, I loved Skyward Sword's gameplay and storyline very much. It made many things in the zelda timeline more clear and understandable.
I just wish they hadn't added all those changes in the first place. It feels like they didn't think of the gamers who played previous Zelda games and are used to the classic control scheme. I'm not even talking about the Wii Remote controls. I want to do a death attack by pressing A, not by swinging both my nunchuck and the remote. That would be a spin attack. I don't want to shoot things using A because that feels unintuitive to me, and I've played every 3D Zelda game to date.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:34 pm

This may as well be a necrobump on a long-forgotten topic, but Breath of the Wild is coming out in a month (funny how it seems it was almost never mentioned in this topic). Who's absolutely hyped, or otherwise looking forward to playing it, Wii U or Switch version? Speaking of which, are you getting the Wii U or the Switch version?
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Return to “Video Games”