Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Until Dawn

Postby Aero » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:23 pm

GOTY
O
T
Y

Until Dawn thread, post: impressions, reactions, and opinions.

I really love what the developers put together here. Everything looks great visually, to where you have to focus to see the models aren't live action performers. The environment looked amazing, and the lighting (and lack thereof) was spot on. When you're walking around the camp sight, the warm lighting looks perfect and is a great tone setter. The plot is amazing, because it constantly gets more complex and there's plenty of twists to where you can't really predict the ending until you're at the actual ending. The jump scares were also great, since it very subtly adds to the narrative if you pay attention to the psycho's reveal and after that point the scares are toned down significantly. Oh, and your choice actually matter significantly unlike in Beyond: Two Souls and Life is Strange to some extent.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Re: Until Dawn

Postby silent_ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:35 pm

i watched dashiegames (a youtube channel) play this and then i picked it up myself for pc. its a good game. i like how it's one of those games that doesn't entirely focus on blood and gore and/or the scare factor, like outlast and the evil within. (although i will admit the former is a great game). its a little bit of all of the genres - horror, thriller, romance, and comedy.

i dont have any complaints except the camera angles. i shouldn't have to elaborate on this.
previously known as Kep

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:08 pm

I had no idea dashie played this, I'll check it out.

Please elaborate on the camera angles. They had a lot of great shots.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:52 am

AeroMatter wrote:Please elaborate on the camera angles. They had a lot of great shots.
sometimes while walking the camera angle was kinda awkward and it doesn't zoom in farther as much as it should, even though you were way in the distance. here's the best example i could find of that using google images.
Spoiler: show
previously known as Kep

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Kep wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:Please elaborate on the camera angles. They had a lot of great shots.
sometimes while walking the camera angle was kinda awkward and it doesn't zoom in farther as much as it should, even though you were way in the distance. here's the best example i could find of that using google images.
Spoiler: show
That camera angle and many others were put there to make it feel like you're being watched/followed. The perspective is supposed to be omnipresent rather than zoomed into 3rd person, and I think it really adds to the scenes with these camera angles. You're not there with the characters, and see everything from multiple perspectives including the enemies and they all comply with the show don't tell rule in the reveals. As a matter of fact a lot of the exposition is carried out in plot devices like the book you read as Ashley, or just shown to you in the totems, and in those psychiatrist conversations.

Return to “Video Games”