Off-topic discussion.
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Re: The "What happened to that SMBX user?" thread

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 am

RPG_Magician wrote:I.. don't know if i'm right about this or not.. But HeroLinik appears to have vanished from the forums for a long extended period of time now. Does anyone know his current situation?
Alright, so it has indeed been a while since I've posted in the SMBX community, but some of you may have found it pretty strange how I, despite being pretty active on the forum for a few years, silently vanished, almost never to be seen anymore (well, I have been ghosting this place for quite a while, to the point where I made a topic about The Last Jedi). Well, in case any of you were wondering, here's why I left:

1. Lack of time and inspiration. Yeah, that's actually true. When you get to a certain age, life starts to take over to the point where you struggle to keep up with your interests, and I've started becoming more interested in other things aside from SMBX (which will be come to shortly) so it's now the least of my concerns. Also, I was totally losing the light with level design, because level standards have now advanced a lot since when I first forayed into the SMBX community. It got to a point where I felt my levels were always the same and uninspired, and my project, The Great Castle Adventure Remake, has been suffering from artist's block as well. At several points I wanted to cancel it due to motivation issues, but I didn't want to let the community down because it's supposed to be a nostalgic remake. I did give the work to Mr Briney over Discord DMs, but he hasn't updated it. I might DM him later about it.

2. The state of the community. To be honest, I'm still talking to some community members (Mr Briney I already mentioned) but compared to when I joined, the community has devolved into an absolute trainwreck. Back around April last year, I declared on the Discord that I was contemplating leaving, and the reaction was not positive - I was ridiculed and rebuked for making such a move. Even after months had passed I still got people reminding me of that incident, and it was really risky trying to make conversation without seeing at least one message about that incident. As a result, I left the Discord around when it got nuked (last summer) and set my online status to invisible so I could make preparations to leave silently, to the point where I left at the start of August. If I were to go back to the Discord now, I believe I'm still going to get a message about that incident, because people these days find it hard to let things go. Speaking of letting things go, I do recall still getting complaints over a freaking level review all the way back in FREAKING CC7, OVER A YEAR LATER. Honestly, I've wised up a lot since then, but at the time I was hard-pressed with exams and the like. I could have always pulled out but I believed all contests were held around the same period, and they hadn't made them seasonal. On a different note, I've seen on occasion when someone announces what they'll be doing, and it gets met with a response along the lines of "does it look like we care?" and I haven't had this said to anyone outside of here. As for the forums, they're alright, but there's just something wrong when you're 20 and you're surrounded by 14-15 year old kids. I can go on and mention the whole "shut the fuck up with your stupid ass questions" but this section is getting too long as it is. Also, before you go in and say something along the lines of "grow thicker skin" that principle doesn't work, because it's basically admitting you don't want to admit you're an asswipe, and it only makes life more miserable.
TL;DR: I've made some mistakes in the past and accumulated a bad reputation to the point where I can't shake it off, no matter how I try - more popular people know me for it.

3. Moving on to different interests. This kinda tags onto point 1. While I've been playing Pokemon a lot, this began when my YouTube channel blew up considerably after making a Pokemon-related video, so I knew that SMBX-tubing wasn't my thing. Since then, I've started venturing onto other Pokemon-related Discord servers (including the largest one) and started spending more time there. Compared to the SMBX Discord, a certain one was incredibly welcoming and definitely more active. The fact I was spending more time there suggests that SMBX, again, wasn't my cup of tea, so I knew full-well, combined with all the hate I was getting, that it was a matter of breaking connections with SMBX once and for all - I've already found my happy place now.

So there you have it. Feel free to pick as many holes in my reasoning as you can, because I really don't want to be here anymore, until something strikes me and I want to return. I'll miss you guys when I'm gone, it was really fun talking to you guys. But I guess that's the end of the road for me.
Last edited by HeroLinik on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:34 am

It's always sad to see cool people leave, but your reasons are perfectly valid and respectable. Hope you'll have a happy time outside of this community.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:41 am

These reasons are pretty fair and valid. You were actually a pretty good member overall imo, and I wish good luck for you in the future

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am

I never knew I'd get misty eyed reading an smbx post. I'm sorry for anything I did to you, and I hope you continue finding enjoyment outside of SMBX.

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 am

I mean, I started on these forums I think just over a year ago, around late 2016. After taking a break since spring 2017 due to a major problem with my laptop (that still hasn't been resolved), I do feel that the community seems to just be... different. I can't place my finger on it, but there's definitely something about the community that's changed a lot. Come to think of it, maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a lot less regular users. In fact, less users in general. In 2016/17, it felt like a decently sized community, not too big, but not like some tiny obscure thing no-one cares about. But now it just seems emptier for some reason. IDK, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it feels like to me.

And goodbye HeroLinik, hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do in the future.
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
rockythechao wrote:Image

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 am

Herolinik, I hope you can find a good community in the future, one that suits you better. And if our paths never cross again, I want to say how much of an amazing member you have been. Sure, I wasn't here on your debut, but you have been a kind honest user nevertheless. Good luck man, stay positive.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Knux » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 pm

LilPopTart wrote:Knux, my man, I do believe you banned me under an old name from either this or a different forum literally like six to eight years ago haha, good to see you're still alive.

Back to the topic, I don't really have a "what happened to.." question, as all names that come to mind I've seen answered already lol. In that case, I'll just ask Knux what ever happened to the forum he used to run, because I'm fairly certain I remember him being in charge all that time ago
hey dude, nice to see old members come back. i gave joey community leadership at the end of 2013, and my site (due to lack of activity) expired. someone then registered the name again later on.

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Current Project: Howling
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:38 am

Radiance wrote:But Mr Briney is gone
He still active on Geometry dash...
I usually talk with him.
Yea... I'm back, but with different view.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 am

WerewolfGD wrote:He still active on Geometry dash...
I usually talk with him.
do you know the joke?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Current Project: Howling
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 am

Cedur wrote:
WerewolfGD wrote:He still active on Geometry dash...
I usually talk with him.
do you know the joke?
Wait
Radiance is Mr briney?
If yes then sup briney :u
Yea... I'm back, but with different view.

Known also as Camacho or Harvey36Dice.
Also a furry

Awooo!
If you want to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

yeah radiance and mr briney are the same person

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:05 am

WerewolfGD wrote: If yes then sup briney :u
I'm fine lol and I'm GD Radiance in Geometry Dash btw

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 am

Why did you change your name?
Infact, why does anyone change their name on here? It often causes confusion.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm

They don't change names to create confusion. They change them because they no longer want their old names and want a better one.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:51 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:They don't change names to create confusion. They change them because they no longer want their old names and want a better one.
Yes, but changing names can cause confusion, unless they make it publicly known.
ImageImage
xDestroy wrote:
------
Tower Mario Bros.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: squid kid
Current Project: super mario timeline
Chat Username: Koopastea #8422

Postby Rhosty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Bye linik, you were a very positive influence to me

ok then
Reddit
My Kongregate account
cringey roblox account
I have selective mutism and quite possibly Asperger's

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
thehelmetguy1 wrote:They don't change names to create confusion. They change them because they no longer want their old names and want a better one.
Yes, but changing names can cause confusion, unless they make it publicly known.
I mean, if you want to know their old identity, usually you can just look at their previous posts.

Also goodbye linik, I wish that you could stay a bit longer. Those reasons are completely valid.
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... hp?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Taycamgame wrote:Why did you change your name?
Infact, why does anyone change their name on here? It often causes confusion.
Because I radiate energy and happiness.
Idk I just felt changing my name into Radiance. I just forgot to put my old username in my signature btw

Oshi
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: Nothing interesting here, move along
Current Project: Not worth mentioning
Chat Username: Oshi#3433

Postby Oshi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm

What happened to Bomber57?
If you are interested in Mafia, RTD, or DnD, please check out Minigame Plaza. Unfortunately the server has been declining recently, and we would like people like you to join.
godblessamerica21 wrote: when i get mod your ass is grass amigo
projects I support: show

Return to “Sandbox”