Racism

Off-topic discussion.
Mable
Peach
Peach

Racism

Postby Mable » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:18 pm

First of for everyone who doesn't know what that is:

Racism has existed throughout human history. It may be defined as the hatred of one person by another -- or the belief that another person is less than human -- because of skin color, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person. It has influenced wars, slavery, the formation of nations, and legal codes.

During the past 500-1000 years, racism on the part of Western powers toward non-Westerners has had a far more significant impact on history than any other form of racism (such as racism among Western groups or among Easterners, such as Asians, Africans, and others). The most notorious example of racism by the West has been slavery, particularly the enslavement of Africans in the New World (slavery itself dates back thousands of years). This enslavement was accomplished because of the racist belief that Black Africans were less fully human than white Europeans and their descendants.

This belief was not "automatic": that is, Africans were not originally considered inferior. When Portuguese sailors first explored Africa in the 15th and 16th centuries, they came upon empires and cities as advanced as their own, and they considered Africans to be serious rivals. Over time, though, as African civilizations failed to match the technological advances of Europe, and the major European powers began to plunder the continent and forcibly remove its inhabitants to work as slave laborers in new colonies across the Atlantic, Africans came to be seen as a deficient "species," as "savages." To an important extent, this view was necessary to justify the slave trade at a time when Western culture had begun to promote individual rights and human equality. The willingness of some Africans to sell other Africans to European slave traders also led to claims of savagery, based on the false belief that the "dark people" were all kinsmen, all part of one society - as opposed to many different, sometimes warring nations.

One important feature of racism, especially toward Blacks and immigrant groups, is clear in attitudes regarding slaves and slavery. Jews are usually seen by anti-Semites as subhuman but also superhuman: devilishly cunning, skilled, and powerful. Blacks and others are seen by racists as merely subhuman, more like beasts than men. If the focus of anti-Semitism is evil, the focus of racism is inferiority -- directed toward those who have sometimes been considered to lack even the ability to be evil (though in the 20th century, especially, victims of racism are often considered morally degraded).

In the second half of the 19th century, Darwinism, the decline of Christian belief, and growing immigration were all perceived by many white Westerners as a threat to their cultural control. European and, to a lesser degree, American scientists and philosophers devised a false racial "science" to "prove" the supremacy of non-Jewish whites. While the Nazi annihilation of Jews discredited most of these supposedly scientific efforts to elevate one race over another, small numbers of scientists and social scientists have continued throughout the 20th century to argue the inborn shortcomings of certain races, especially Blacks. At the same time, some public figures in the American Black community have championed the supremacy of their own race and the inferiority of whites - using nearly the identical language of white racists.
All of these arguments are based on a false understanding of race; in fact, contemporary scientists are not agreed on whether race is a valid way to classify people. What may seem to be significant "racial" differences to some people - skin color, hair, facial shape - are not of much scientific significance. In fact, genetic differences within a so-called race may be greater than those between races. One philosopher writes: "There are few genetic characteristics to be found in the population of England that are not found in similar proportions in Zaire or in China….those differences that most deeply affect us in our dealings with each other are not to any significant degree biologically determined."

Wiki Informations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Discuss let's see how the Smbx People can handle this discussion. Turn this into a Flamewar and you failed me and lost all respect you all should be able to handle discussions like this.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind

Re: Racism

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Racism obviously actually isn't part of the SMBX community, and people who say it is doesn't actually know what real racism is
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.
Spoiler: show
Mivixion wrote:We don't cater to the minority.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
DarkMatt wrote:You were off being a shitposter so I didn't bother.
AeroMatter wrote:4/17/2015 - The day an /a/ meme caused conflict in SMBX.
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> vinyl tbch cause we need more people like you
<Vinyl> NEET Shitposters?
<AeroMatter> yes

:^)

Magna
Banned

Postby Magna » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks for the history lesson.

Racism is bad and shouldn't be allowed, but it's okay to do it between friends.
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

Karl Marx
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Karl Marx » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Its hard to be racist here as we're all race-blind

I don't know the race of most if not all the users here, and that's perfectly OK

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Way to focus exclusively on western racism, and ignore the details pertaining to racist views. I can tell you right now that Africans weren't forcefully removed, and that they were selling (and buying) their own people. Also I'd like to know who this philosopher who wrote "There are few genetic characteristics to be found in the population of England that are not found in similar proportions in Zaire or in China…" since it's pretty disingenuous to say when talking about race when each race shares most of their genetic code with African Apes.

Links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/afric ... ter2.shtml

Dash
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Dash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

For me, the word "Racism" is racist.
Human races don't exist, we are all practically the same race.

Just my opinion.

I support:
ImageImage

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Dash wrote:For me, the word "Racism" is racist.

Just my opinion.
I don't think you really understand what racism actually is Image
Racism is a word, thus, cannot be racist, as it doesn't have any ethnicity, culture differences (If you're gonna be a smartass about this I swear to god), ect ect..

Plus, ignorance isn't an opinion yo
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> yes

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:43 pm

How is racism racist.

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Dash wrote:For me, the word "Racism" is racist.

Just my opinion.
Disregarding cultural, and ethnic differences between people doesn't really help anyone. In fact it can sometimes blow up in your face and cause bigger problems.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I, for one, am not for racism. I got into a...heated discussion, let's say, with a certain member when he kept saying the racist word for African (I dare not say it) and he just said it to annoy another user even after he was told it was offensive to him.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:I, for one, am not for racism. I got into a...heated discussion, let's say, with a certain member when he kept saying the racist word for African (I dare not say it) and he just said it to annoy another user even after he was told it was offensive to him.
Pretty sure that certain member was using it as a joke, which people took too seriously
After all, it's your choice to be offended by something or not, and since he never uses it in a harmful manner, then you probably shouldn't take it too seriously as well
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.

<AeroMatter> yes

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:48 pm

I don't get what the point of this topic is. Are you discussing racism as a concept? Are you asking who in the community is racist?

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Joey wrote:I don't get what the point of this topic is.
I'm pretty sure it's to discuss racism as a whole.
previously known as Kep

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Racism, the belief itself, is complete bullshit in any circumstance. It's always been, and I've always acknowledged that, but I've never been affected by it personally, so it's hard for me to understand what it's like for someone who is a victim of it and I'm always interested in hearing what they have to say about it, especially if it's with regards to something I've done in ignorance.
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:I, for one, am not for racism. I got into a...heated discussion, let's say, with a certain member when he kept saying the racist word for African (I dare not say it) and he just said it to annoy another user even after he was told it was offensive to him.
Pretty sure that certain member was using it as a joke, which people took too seriously
After all, it's your choice to be offended by something or not, and since he never uses it in a harmful manner, then you probably shouldn't take it too seriously as well
Everyone has a button and if someone asks a person not to push it and they then do it deliberately, they're being an asshole whether they mean harm by it or not. That shouldn't even be a controversial statement.

Remember what you're referring to, and what it calls back to, before you tell people not to take something too seriously. Moreover, taking something "too seriously" isn't ever an incorrect response, considering that humour is obviously subjective and that blatantly calling back racism isn't the kind of humour that's going to suit a lot of people.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Magician wrote:Racism, the belief itself, is complete bullshit in any circumstance. It's always been, and I've always acknowledged that, but I've never been affected by it personally, so it's hard for me to understand what it's like for someone who is a victim of it and I'm always interested in hearing what they have to say about it, especially if it's with regards to something I've done in ignorance.
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Everyone has a button and if someone asks a person not to push it and they then do it deliberately, they're being an asshole whether they mean harm by it or not. That shouldn't even be a controversial statement.

Remember what you're referring to, and what it calls back to, before you tell people not to take something too seriously. Moreover, taking something "too seriously" isn't ever an incorrect response, considering that humour is obviously subjective and that blatantly calling back racism isn't the kind of humour that's going to suit a lot of people.
Forum at it's best with "humor" and "racism" Image
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.

<AeroMatter> yes

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about Nien since he's the only one who would call people that casually. Nigger is just a word, and he is just trying to troll you (well you specifically considering his avatar) so telling him it's offensive isn't going to do much good since that seems to be the goal here. Oh and uh, it's a slur for negro which actually used to be the more polite term as opposed to calling someone "black" until the 1970s Civil Rights Movement took place, it doesn't mean African in case you didn't know.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:31 pm

GhostHawk wrote:
I'm assuming you're talking about Nien since he's the only one who would call people that casually. Nigger is just a word, and he is just trying to troll you (well you specifically considering his avatar) so telling him it's offensive isn't going to do much good since that seems to be the goal here. Oh and uh, it's a slur for negro which actually used to be the more polite term as opposed to calling someone "black" until the 1970s Civil Rights Movement took place, it doesn't mean African in case you didn't know.
Nonetheless, he was saying it to harass superiorstar, so it was going against the forum rules.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:00 am

Vinyl Scratch wrote:Forum at it's best with "humor" and "racism" Image
If you were trying to crosspost that quote to Forum's Funniest Posts, you failed.

If I can disagree with you on something without being a dick about it, you can at least not make a barely sensical post just to muse publicly about your personal incredulity towards some legitimate points. There's probably a much better way to settle differences than that.

If you're trying to imply that trolling someone with racial slurs doesn't mean you're actually "racist" as defined by some sources, I'm well aware of that. I just don't think that "he's only purposely trying to piss you off!" condones the behaviour either way, and I'd still argue that it pertains to the thread because whether or not its use is racist is at best a point of contention.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:55 am

Magician wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:Forum at it's best with "humor" and "racism" Image
If you were trying to crosspost that quote to Forum's Funniest Posts, you failed.

If I can disagree with you on something without being a dick about it, you can at least not make a barely sensical post just to muse publicly about your personal incredulity towards some legitimate points. There's probably a much better way to settle differences than that.

If you're trying to imply that trolling someone with racial slurs doesn't mean you're actually "racist" as defined by some sources, I'm well aware of that. I just don't think that "he's only purposely trying to piss you off!" condones the behaviour either way, and I'd still argue that it pertains to the thread because whether or not its use is racist is at best a point of contention.
My favorite thing about forums is people blowing things incredibly out of proportion and only getting half of something right

It's hilarious to see people taking things way too seriously Image

The best part was that the "quote" was actually purely coincidental
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.

<AeroMatter> yes

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Quoting myself:
you can at least not make a barely sensical post just to muse publicly about your personal incredulity
Vinyl, using a message board properly generally doesn't involve being vague and waiting for people to figure out what you even mean while you act pompous when they get it wrong. The fact is, when you make a post like that, I'm left to figure out what you actually meant, which is why I asked you not to do it. You haven't fully provided the means for anyone to get the "something" that you're referring to completely right, half right, or anything. I don't even know what "something" is—it could refer to your posts themselves, or the specific situation described in the first one I responded to (which, to be clear, I was only applying general terms to). I don't know what I'm supposedly blowing incredibly out of proportion except that that accusation ironically blows out of proportion anything I've said on the matter. It's not as if I flipped out or pointed fingers. I'm simply pointing out that some actions deserve to be criticized.

Using a forum also doesn't involve having used the quote button and then blaming the quote as if it was this surprising random happenstance when you realize it affected the conveyance of your post.

Return to “Sandbox”