COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Off-topic discussion.
Teemster2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Re: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:38 pm

I heard the US has just created a vaccine for the virus. I hope this is true.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:38 pm
Did someone locally tell you this, or is there a source with this possibility? It might not be possible to have the vaccine released publicly until next year?
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:30 am

There is no vaccine. Very common remedies are not treatments. This is following an exponential growth model. This WILL get worse. It's not going away anytime soon, and precautions should be taken NOW. The earliest any vaccine can be distributed is 18 months from now. This needs to be taken seriously.

Unidentified
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Unidentified » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:08 am

So far, there aren't many cases confirmed here, but the virus has an exponential growth, so it might be a good idea to go to the market and stock food. It's hitting the economy quite notably(The current national currency reached a record low).

We could look at Italy for some reference. People are dying because there aren't enough doctors to treat everyone(And that includes people with multiple other problems not related to the virus). The entire country was quarentined. Almost all businesses are closed. People need a permit to leave their houses. The country stopped.

This is certainly something to be taken seriously. We should take measures right now while the number is still low. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Animebryan
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Need help!

Postby Animebryan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 am

We're all gonna die! Wrap yourselves in plastic & hide in the closet for the next 6 months!
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:54 am

Animebryan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 am
We're all gonna die!
Dude, we're not. As long as we're healthy we'll live. I still can't believe there shutting down schools in America :oops:

Teemster2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Teemster2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Aero wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:30 am
There is no vaccine. Very common remedies are not treatments. This is following an exponential growth model. This WILL get worse. It's not going away anytime soon, and precautions should be taken NOW. The earliest any vaccine can be distributed is 18 months from now. This needs to be taken seriously.
There is a vaccine in America but they are skipping animal testing. This I have read from multiple media sources online. I don't know if it works though.

Added in 23 seconds:
Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:47 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:38 pm
Did someone locally tell you this, or is there a source with this possibility? It might not be possible to have the vaccine released publicly until next year?
See my above post.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Teemster2 wrote:There is a vaccine in America but they are skipping animal testing. This I have read. I don't know if it works though.

Is this source credible in the first place?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Teemster2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Teemster2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:54 am
Animebryan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 am
We're all gonna die!
Dude, we're not. As long as we're healthy we'll live. I still can't believe there shutting down schools in America :oops:
This is just an accelerated flu. It's ending in China and will start to dissapear in America when it gets warmer outside. The common flu or H1N1 Swine flu under Obama are/were much worse.

Added in 3 minutes 38 seconds:
Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:51 pm
Teemster2 wrote:There is a vaccine in America but they are skipping animal testing. This I have read. I don't know if it works though.

Is this source credible in the first place?
The New York post, Forbes, live science, the Guardian, stat, bio space... I read they are looking for volunteers to try the vaccine on.

Rumor has it isreal created a vaccine too but I have not looked into that.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Teemster, I'm not sure if you know how this virus even works, and in what way it is different to flu.

Covid-19 can spread across the whole population because most people don't even notice having it, or spread it before they show symptoms. If it spreads without control, most people will not suffer yes, but you'll still get terrifying numbers of deaths from the known risk groups.

What matters now is slowing down the spread enough to win time for researchers to actually develop medications and vaccines. Granted it comes at a high cost due to what our society is like, and it's tremendous. But I said above what the other option is. In other words, I don't appreciate any of this, but I learned that it's the lesser evil. These restrictions suck but nobody dies from them.

I will only believe in a vaccine once I hear it in my local news (also making it is one thing, making it permissible by law is the other, at least in Europe). I'm somewhat tempted to lash against Trump and your blind believing in him but I won't bother.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

SPEEDIE
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Limitations don't exist, Think different.

Postby SPEEDIE » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:02 pm
Teemster, I'm not sure if you know how this virus even works, and in what way it is different to flu.

Covid-19 can spread across the whole population because most people don't even notice having it, or spread it before they show symptoms. If it spreads without control, most people will not suffer yes, but you'll still get terrifying numbers of deaths from the known risk groups.

What matters now is slowing down the spread enough to win time for researchers to actually develop medications and vaccines. Granted it comes at a high cost due to what our society is like, and it's tremendous. But I said above what the other option is. In other words, I don't appreciate any of this, but I learned that it's the lesser evil. These restrictions suck but nobody dies from them.

I will only believe in a vaccine once I hear it in my local news (also making it is one thing, making it permissible by law is the other, at least in Europe). I'm somewhat tempted to lash against Trump and your blind believing in him but I won't bother.
Yeah, this is way bigger than just a flu, not just because it's a worse flu, but because of how much it spreads. It affects the world in other ways too.
Even though there are quite a large number of deaths for a flu like virus, many of these are older, and some of them would have died anyway, which means the virus did no difference anyways. People usually stay at home which will ruin sales of products, etc. I won't be suprised if this will cause many companies to go bankrupt, mostly travel businesses.
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Check out my YouTube channel for high quality SMBX let's plays and other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCncGyz ... EqBqNJyyTQ

Check out my website for computer related fun..
https://speediegamer.github.io/spd.archive

Join my SMBX discord server for exclusive updates and much more.
https://discord.gg/fahyrvk
Finished Projects:
Ongoing Projects:
Blade of Justice
4lin3r

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:21 pm

The exponential continues, countries are still going into lock down, and still no citations of a working vaccine. It's not just the flu bro.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:14 pm

At least supermarkets for vital things will not close down. There's been false rumors saying that.

(Also, come to say, intentional fake news is mostly motivated by right populists, if anything)

EDIT: 175 new deaths in Italy within just a day

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:14 pm

SPEEDIE wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:17 pm
Cedur wrote:

Yeah, this is way bigger than just a flu, not just because it's a worse flu, but because of how much it spreads. It affects the world in other ways too.
Even though there are quite a large number of deaths for a flu like virus, many of these are older, and some of them would have died anyway, which means the virus did no difference anyways. People usually stay at home which will ruin sales of products, etc. I won't be suprised if this will cause many companies to go bankrupt, mostly travel businesses.
This is virus is like the flu "BUT" is not the flu. This is different than any virus. Specifically viruses change every year soo, yeah. In America, there closing schools to slow down the spread

1di_Scroll
Mouser
Mouser
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!

Postby 1di_Scroll » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:41 pm

I heard some chinese people has gotten over the virus, because a new cure has been found (or something like that)
(?)

Teemster2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Teemster2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:06 am

Cedur wrote:

South Korea has had less than 100 deaths and they are by China. What do you make of that?

I honestly see the common flu to be worse. Maybe I am wrong.

I do value your oppinion and I am open to all point of views.

Added in 4 minutes 22 seconds:
SPEEDIE wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:17 pm
Cedur wrote:

The common flu killed 46,000 people last year and affected 41 million people.

This flu has killed less than 6,000, is ending in China as new cases drop to single digits, killed less than 100 in South Korea which is by China, is expected to slow down in the US as it gets warmer and unlike the common flu is sparing kids.

So how is this corona virus worse than the common flu? Just because it spreads undetected does not make it worse if far less people die...

Added in 7 minutes 14 seconds:
The population of china is over 1.3 billion. Less than 81 thousand people in China got the virus. Less than 4,000 died. Far Less than the common flu. If the virus spreads undetected then I would think more people in China would have gotten it.

The virus has not even affected 1 million people worldwide. Italy is the worst country right now but they will eventually get better.

Maybe I'm wrong but the numbers seem to agree with me.

Added in 10 minutes 24 seconds:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/deaths-from-flu-2633829

This is a good read on the flu, past pandemics, yearly deaths etc. It also talks about the N1H1 virus in 2009 that killed over 200,000 people worldwide and affected 61 million people and the media was so chill for that one.

I wanted to find deaths per day for the common flu but that did not happen. Ok I'm done now. I will let you all finish this discusion as I feel I have said to much.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:04 pm

The number of infections is increasing rapidly. This can't be downplayed anymore.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:35 pm

An almost up-to-date map. (accurate except regarding Serbia, which has just announced school shutdown)
There are literally only two European countries (not counting city states) that haven't closed a noticeable portion of their schools yet:
United Kingdom
Belarus
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

Aero
Administrator

Postby Aero » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:37 pm

President Trump congratulated himself, called the press fake news, threw down a paper telling them to figure it out, listed a bunch of companies, and left without questions.

Self-isolate. Don't go anywhere there are public gatherings that are not necessary. Wash your hands. Cough/sneeze into your elbow. Keep track of the exponential growth.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:14 pm

I just got the news saying NYC public schools will be closing tomorrow March 16th, 2020 (Source). New York state has also officially become the U.S. state with the most COVID-19 cases with over 700 cases and its first 3 deaths over this weekend. In addition, Alaska had its first case: all 50 states have now a minimum of 1 case.

I am following every step to stay away from COVID-19 as best as I can. I suggest to please avoid reading Twitter tweets and comments from YouTube because there are so many emotions spreading everywhere in Twitter and YouTube. Aero himself said it best: Self-isolate, avoid unnecessary public gatherings, wash your hands, cough/ sneeze into your elbow, and keep track of exponential growth. The U.S. hasn't reached its peak yet, and if anything, it's only the beginning.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Spoiler: show
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

Return to “Sandbox”