COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Off-topic discussion.
Aero
Palom
Palom

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Postby Aero » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:04 am

So the Chinese Communist Party showed the world how grossly incompetent they are, and as a consequence this outbreak of the coronavirus is starting to spread more than it would have if properly handled.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51638095

Iran's health minister revealed he was infected so it's likely widespread there, and there are reported cases in Brazil now. It may be a while until it peaks and cases drop. South Korean cases have also spiked and resources are a primary concern. In the United States the CDC does not recommend buying face masks for people that are not infected: people usually don't wear them properly and they need to be conserved for people that need them. General rule is to wash your hands, cough into a tissue/your arm and not your hands, and adhere to travel warnings.

This thread is for discussion of the virus, and not memes/conspiracies about it. The virus likely began in a wet market in Wuhan, China. Hygiene outside of China's major cities is neglected, and superstition around the consumption of various wild animal parts is a real problem and belief held: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradition ... substances

If you have any thoughts about the virus, how it's being handled, or any other news please share.

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression

Re: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Postby cato » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:14 am

Should I refrain from talking politically?

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 am

That's fine. Global health and response is political.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:53 am

Well I for once I'm still not okay with how panic spreads already just because a few people (out of millions) got infected. I really hope I'm not gonna be affected by any quarantine measures
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:51 am

There isn't reason to panic, that makes things 100x worse. In China it's a total mess because of how they're failing spectacularly with this. They're beating people for not wearing masks, there's Maoist style shaming, journalists are being deported and harassed, and they tried quarantining a huge city and are relying on bounties for people to turn in people who visited Wuhan, and threatening the death penalty for people "intentionally" spreading the virus.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8p ... ring-masks
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-c ... ors-2020-2

South Korea and Italy are dealing with a lot because of the CCP's incompetence. Luckily people have been able to recover, and there are actual effective steps being taken to slow the virus down.

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby cato » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:26 am

The virus would be the first thing to shatter China's political system when people there started to have awareness of their freedom of speech when others are punished for saying the truth.
Either the government will make policies that would appeal to its people, or we wait for the disbanding of the CCP.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:33 am

I guess I'll be more considerate of my own hygiene (it's a bit poor usually ;p) but otherwise my life continues as normal and I'm not afraid of anything.
If you happen to be very sick and if you're worried of having the virus yourself, it's most likely "just" ordinary flu.

What also came to my mind is that when Ebola took place in Africa, and killed incredibly far more people, being incredibly more lethal (around 50%+), yet there was far less of a fear and outcry in First World than now. Mostly because there are less ties to Africa than to China.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:47 pm

If that shit comes to our country we are ded :p
Basically the problem wouldn't be avoiding it
but curing it since there's no medicines here
Luckily my higiene is not really poor
But still afraid

My project:

AggressivePeanut90
Rex
Rex
Flair: mexican bullshit

Postby AggressivePeanut90 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:15 am

This is a terrible disease! Save me from her! I don't want to die! I hope it doesn’t reach the USA!!!
It insprises me: show
That’s cool lol, isn’t it?

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 am

PopYoshi wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:47 pm
But still afraid

if you can survive flu without medical help then you'd survive Corona too? Come on, you're young and well.

Some people really feel as concerned as if it were Ebola or fucking plague etc

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 pm

It's been a bad week for world markets. South Korea had another spike, Iran's numbers are questionable, and a possible case of community spread in the United States was reported. This is probably going to be a big one.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:12 pm

Cedur wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 am
PopYoshi wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:47 pm
But still afraid

if you can survive flu without medical help then you'd survive Corona too? Come on, you're young and well.

Some people really feel as concerned as if it were Ebola or fucking plague etc
I know :3
We have actually survived several corona viruses through time
But it's still scary

My project:

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Postby mechamind » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:50 pm

Aero wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 pm
It's been a bad week for world markets. South Korea had another spike, Iran's numbers are questionable, and a possible case of community spread in the United States was reported. This is probably going to be a big one.
The Thursday session of the TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange) was actually suspended just over 2 hours early, because there may have been a computer system overload.

Many on Yahoo! Finance are assuming they closed because they don't want the index to go down. Others are joking that the TSX got Coronavirus. One comment speculated that if things are bad in Europe, the TSX will remain closed on Friday, but I doubt they'd actually do that.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

cato
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby cato » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Up to now, we have a 2-month + school suspension. Just wow.

Teemster2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 am

Things to think about:

1. The mass protesters in HongKong dissapeared. Was this done on purpose?

2. This is rumored to be a manufactured virus.

3. I heard Lysol spray or something similar actually says it fights the coronavirus.

4. The Coronavirus is not new but this strand may be.

5. Over 27,000 people in China have recoverd. Death toll is almost 3,000.

6. The left and media is using this to attack Trump and as a result of fear mongering the stock market went from record highs to massive plunges over the last 2-3 days.

7. A doctor on Twitter said America has better medicine than China but I don't see how.

8. The whistle blower on the Coronavirus in China died from it.

Stay safe everyone.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:13 am

mechamind wrote:
Aero wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 pm
The Thursday session of the TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange) was actually suspended just over 2 hours early, because there may have been a computer system overload.

Many on Yahoo! Finance are assuming they closed because they don't want the index to go down. Others are joking that the TSX got Coronavirus. One comment speculated that if things are bad in Europe, the TSX will remain closed on Friday, but I doubt they'd actually do that.
Our stocks are entering correction territory, and we just had a record point drop. Futures are down too, and this is all with a background of recession indicators.
cato wrote:Up to now, we have a 2-month + school suspension. Just wow.
It's very serious, so other disruptions in day-to-day life should be expected.
Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 am
Things to think about:

1. The mass protesters in HongKong dissapeared. Was this done on purpose?

2. This is rumored to be a manufactured virus.

3. I heard Lysol spray or something similar actually says it fights the coronavirus.

4. The Coronavirus is not new but this strand may be.

5. Over 27,000 people in China have recoverd. Death toll is almost 3,000.

6. The left and media is using this to attack Trump and as a result of fear mongering the stock market went from record highs to massive plunges over the last 2-3 days.

7. A doctor on Twitter said America has better medicine than China but I don't see how.

8. The whistle blower on the Coronavirus in China died from it.

Stay safe everyone.
1. They are diminished but still on-going.
2. That's a conspiracy theory with no evidence. Bats carry coronavirus, and it is extremely likely to have originated in the Wuhan wet market.
3. Lysol is not enough to properly disinfect an area.
4. Yes, this is a novel coronavirus.
5. That seems to be the case, but the numbers may be wrong.
6. This is a global pandemic and world markets are falling. The virus isn't Trump's fault, but his response is and running everything through Mike Pence is ridiculous.
7. ???
8. Yeah that happened, and is one of many blunders making China unreliable.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:38 am

It's really unsafe to travel these days, not only due to the virus but especially due to the fact that suspicion can always happen and then you're locked in train or flights get cancelled etc etc

and yeah pharmacies and supermarkets are emptied because many people feel like they need to prep or have been told to, because quarantine can happen at any damn time. You do not get any disinfectant anymore, it's all hopelessly sold out.

Feels like the world is running in circles as if this were an apocalypse. The numbers of people infected outside Asia really is in the range of just a few hundred thousand as of now, right? Do any of you think that it's justified to cancel so many events because of this?

mechamind
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: You can set your mind to it!

Postby mechamind » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:26 am

mechamind wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:50 pm
One comment speculated that if things are bad in Europe, the TSX will remain closed on Friday, but I doubt they'd actually do that.
And they didn't do that. The TSX is open, and unsurprisingly, it's down by more than 4.5%.
Enjl wrote:
The Thwomp King wrote: Should I be offended or proud? XD hahaha
oh my god did you just ping everyone again
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 48&t=13185

Mechamind is on YouTube! - mechamind90 (or my alternate channel)
Setting up elsewhere too - http://www.mechamind.com (plus my forum)

The upper echelon of pixel art? (If you didn't know, I like these games too.)
Click for My DX-Ball 2 playlist or My Rival Ball playlist

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:38 am
It's really unsafe to travel these days, not only due to the virus but especially due to the fact that suspicion can always happen and then you're locked in train or flights get cancelled etc etc

and yeah pharmacies and supermarkets are emptied because many people feel like they need to prep or have been told to, because quarantine can happen at any damn time. You do not get any disinfectant anymore, it's all hopelessly sold out.

Feels like the world is running in circles as if this were an apocalypse. The numbers of people infected outside Asia really is in the range of just a few hundred thousand as of now, right? Do any of you think that it's justified to cancel so many events because of this?
The case count is 83,000+ but it's not reliable because of China's count and Iran's count and perhaps the United States count at this point. World markets plunging, oil prices falling, and recession indicators on top of a pandemic is not apocalyptic but it's really bad. Iran doesn't have a robust public health system and does not have confidence in handling the outbreak, especially when their health minister was infected along with other officials. Australia is calling it a pandemic and is openly acknowledging that there even is a worst case scenario unlike other countries: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-pandemic

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:58 pm

For the record I'm referring to the general mood in the population and the media.

Germany is now also being severely affected. We're approaching a state where basically everything is cancelled and everyone should stay home.

I really want to play Boules on Sunday (first time after three weeks, due to all of my applications), and mom's really upset over that small amount of people present already (like, just 20 people) since any of them could have travelled recently to Italy etc etc

like come on, it's not like even 0.1% of people in Germany have been infected yet. It pisses me off that I probably need to bear this mood on a private level too and I'm really anxious for the next weeks, because of this, not due to the virus itself. Just right before I have to move away from home anyway!

Return to “Sandbox”