Off-topic discussion.
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

So how was The Last Jedi? [SPOILER WARNING!]

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm

So as you all probably know, the eighth instalment to the long-running (now 40 years!) Star Wars franchise has hit cinemas last weekend. For those of you that have seen it, what have been your thoughts on it, and for those of you that are yet to see it, are you planning to see it at all? As for me, I've got family coming around for Christmas very shortly, so I might go and see the movie with them. Pretty excited for it, to be honest, considering how they're hyping it up like a series finale, when it's just the second instalment of the sequel trilogy.

Bear in mind that this is discussion for a movie for a popular movie franchise that has JUST BEEN RELEASED. Keep all spoilers in spoiler tags!!
Last edited by HeroLinik on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Re: So how was The Last Jedi? [SPOILER WARNING!]

Postby PixelPest » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Going to go see it over the Christmas break and can't wait

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm

I have no plans on seeing it! Also Hi Herolinik! ^^

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Spoilers below.
Spoiler: show
And the award for most disappointing movie of 2017 goes to The Last Jedi, great job guys. Jokes aside,
I felt like the entire movie was meaningless. The whole "code breaker" sequence which took up a good portion of the film led to nothing, because they ended up going with their original plan anyway. Luke attempted to murder one of his pupils and destroyed everything that they fought for, which was super out of character and just weird. Not as weird as the scene where Leia survives an explosion in space and fucking flew back to safety. Just like most of the film, it was pointless and led to nothing. Oh, but they killed Luke off in yet another meaningless scene. He projects a hologram of himself to survive a fight with Kylo and give the resistance time to escape and DIES ANYWAY. They should have had Luke survive to the next film and killed Leia instead, it would have been easier to do on their part since Carrie is dead irl, Luke would have gotten the spotlight I felt like they were building up to and they would have been able to easily close off the new trilogy. I have no clue what they'll do next, since most of the new characters are dead. I'm not excited, I'm just scared and confused.

And RIP Admiral Ackbar

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Knux » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Not terrible, but not really all that good either. Somewhere between Phantom Menace and Rogue One for me.

thunderlakitu
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby thunderlakitu » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 pm

I didn't liked it, but I respect the people that could like the movie.
for me, it had good moments, but also too many silly moments and wasted potential, but that's just my opinion.

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord
Current Project: smw stuff

Postby chuckster » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Look, it was ok, but there was too much filler and I felt like they didn't focus on the main aspect of Star Wars, they focused much more on 'romantic' and 'adventurous' experiences with Finn and Rose. It certainly had a different style, and I felt like it was all such a far fetched situation. It wasn't bad, wasn't average, not excellent, but good-ish.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

I enjoyed it a lot storywise but in terms of how it was brought to life execution was a little sketchy. Cinematography and writing felt off to me, I'm no expert so it may be just me.

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot
Chat Username: Kley

Postby Kley » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:09 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:I have no plans on seeing it! Also Hi Herolinik! ^^
This post didn't further the topic any. If you don't plan on seeing it, you may as well just not post in the topic unless you have something to add to the discussion of the movie.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 am

Get ready for big post! :mrgreen:
This is worth the read for people that liked the film and people that hated it: http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-react- ... back-1980/
In summary basically the whole thing going on in the fanbase with The Last Jedi is the same thing that sort of went on with Empire Strikes Back, whodathunkit???

The cinematography in most scenes was stellar, and since this is thread is full of spoilers, I'm talking more specifically about Rey and Kylo's telepathic connection, Luke and Kylo's recounts of what happened at the Padawan Acadawan, when Holdo sacrifices herself to tear the Supremacy in half, the bit with the lightsaber duel, the entire Battle of Crait, Luke's death, and that slave boy on the end WHO JUST GRABBED A BROOM WITH THE FORCE. That was pretty awesome. Personally, I thought the movie was pretty great, and to be honest it wouldn't be a Star Wars movie without its faults. I do agree that the pacing was all over the place and the whole Canto Bight subplot was more or less unnecessary, but I'm under the impression that there are a lot of people that dismiss the storytelling as bad when it's really not bad at all, compared to other Star Wars storytelling moments such as Attack of the Clones and the first season of Rebels.
One thing I like about The Last Jedi is that it does some undoing of typical Star Wars tropes by killing off the perceived big bad right then and there, the good guys are actually on the literal verge of collapse (they fit the rest of the Resistance members in the Millennium Falcon), and the centralized villain (Kylo Ren) is a character with a lot of conflict. I notice that one of the biggest issues people seem to have with the movie is that it doesn't progress the plot at all, but in actuality it progresses the plot a lot right at the end, when most of the Resistance is killed off, and the remainder seeks to rebuild itself with what it has left, also they've got assistance from the New Republic now, so that's a plus.

The movie did have questionable humor that fell flat in some areas, but there were undeniably laughs at some of parts of the movie. The character development of most of the characters is pretty great, especially for newcomers such as Rose and Holdo (who I legitimately thought was like a First Order spy or something at first), but Luke's character was critically panned, which is kind of upsetting to me. Luke's character may not be what Mark Hamill envisioned him as, and it may not be what we wanted out of Luke, especially after his return, but it takes a bit to realize that between Return of the Jedi and The Last Jedi, there is a thirty year gap, and that gap can lead to a lot of character changes.
It is partially explained in the context of flashbacks that Luke sought to kill Kylo when he was still a padawan, but only because he suspected that Snoke got to him, and that much is true. I've noticed that a lot of people find this particular part uncharacteristic of Luke, but after Vader and Palpatine's deaths, at least in his world, he was quite literally the last Jedi, and he was tasked with raising a new generation of Jedi single-handedly, something he didn't want to fail. When he sensed the evil growing in Ben, he wanted to put a stop to it before something terrible happened, but he couldn't bring himself to kill him, and that's when something terrible happened, and that's when Luke generally gave up on the whole Jedi shtick and went into hiding.
It's worth noting that in Empire Strikes Back, Luke never actually completed his training with Yoda, and at several points in his training, Luke wanted to give up altogether, so it wasn't that uncharacteristic of him to do what he did thirty years later. Personally I believe that Luke was uncharacteristic in Return of the Jedi, if anything. And then people slam the movie for Luke's death so soon after he's reintroduced, except that just because he died, doesn't mean he won't come back. He did what old Ben Kenobi and Yoda did; he became one with the Force. I think his death was actually pretty central his character, and if you were observant, you would have noticed that the Journals of the Whills (the Jedi texts) where on the Falcon at the end of the movie, so either Rey took them or Luke stuffed them in there after his visit to the ship.
Based on that, as well as Luke becoming one with the Force, and I believe he was slated to appear in Episode IX anyway, I think it's extraordinarily likely that Luke will be returning as a Force ghost, just like Obi-wan did. Rey's training was never actually completed, and I think that's exactly what Luke could come back for, just like Obi-wan sort of did.

One particular plot hole or movie cliche that people talk about is how the First Order just so happened to have the tech that could track ships through hyperspace, especially to the location of the Resistance base. At first, I thought this was absurd too, but then I realized a perfect theory/explanation to that whole deal. Finn used to be a First Order Stormtrooper, FN-2187, and he was essentially brainwashed into serving the First Order. What is established in The Force Awakens is that the First Order has a database of their Stormtroopers, so it would only make sense for each Stormtrooper to have an identification and tracking chip inserted into them, which would explain how the First Order was able to track down Finn on Jakku as well. That's all just a theory, but it would make sense in the long run, and since people seem to love to relax their plot holes on stable theories, this is your best bet.

tl;dr the movie was good, not the best star wars but not the worst like people like to shit on it for being, because it isn't the worst, people are the worst.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 am

I'm going to make replies in a separate post because I don't want to build a wall.
Artemis008 wrote: I felt like the entire movie was meaningless. The whole "code breaker" sequence which took up a good portion of the film led to nothing, because they ended up going with their original plan anyway. Luke attempted to murder one of his pupils and destroyed everything that they fought for, which was super out of character and just weird. Not as weird as the scene where Leia survives an explosion in space and fucking flew back to safety. Just like most of the film, it was pointless and led to nothing. Oh, but they killed Luke off in yet another meaningless scene. He projects a hologram of himself to survive a fight with Kylo and give the resistance time to escape and DIES ANYWAY. They should have had Luke survive to the next film and killed Leia instead, it would have been easier to do on their part since Carrie is dead irl, Luke would have gotten the spotlight I felt like they were building up to and they would have been able to easily close off the new trilogy. I have no clue what they'll do next, since most of the new characters are dead. I'm not excited, I'm just scared and confused.

And RIP Admiral Ackbar
The "code breaker" sequence, aka the whole Canto Bight subplot, was a total of 45 minutes out of a 2 and a half hour long movie, so it didn't take up a "good portion" of the film. It also lead to something, and that something was still kind of meaningless.
As for Luke attempting to murder Ben Solo, in the flashback sequences and dialogue shared during them, Luke explains specifically that he believed Snoke had got to Ben, and that he could see the dark in him. Luke was fearful that Ben would destroy everything that he had worked hard to achieve, and in the end, he was right. It was specifically outlined that Luke was wholly hesitant on killing Ben, which I believe is apparent in the last flashback scene. It wasn't particularly out of character for Luke to do this at all, not just because of the thirty year gap, but because Luke has always has somewhat of a tinge of the dark in him, which is partially expressed by the whole cave scene with the fake Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and then Luke's brutal defeat of Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.
Most of the film was character development, so it wasn't really pointless at all, because without it, people would still find a reason to complain about the film. How was it pointless, and how did it lead to nothing? It changed the playing field by placing Kylo Ren in the position of Supreme Leader of the First Order, it dwindled the Resistance to barely anything, it debunked wild theories that people had, and it reinforced that there are other Force users, such as that kid at the end. Luke's death was not really meaningless at all, because he arrived on Crait when no one else could get there, and he played against Kylo Ren's emotions to allow the Resistance to flee from their corner. You have to think though, by Luke's words, is he really "dead"? It is heavily implied that he will return as a Force ghost, and his legacy will also live on, as also seen with those slave kids at the end. Luke's physical death has basically allowed him to actually continue living.
Leia was not killed off because she was supposed to appear in Episode IX, but because Carrie Fisher died after the filming of the film, there was no way they would have been able to change things, and so it was left as-is. While I'm completely indifferent on the whole bridge explosion part where I thought Leia had actually died, I think that scene exists to show that Leia did have the ability to use the Force, and that the Force is more powerful in ways we haven't seen (Luke creating a flawless astral projection of himself on Crait, which is light years away, Snoke being able to telepathically link Kylo and Rey, which is light years away, and Leia being able to survive the vacuum of space and pull herself back to safety). Maybe that scene was a little ridiculous or silly, but there are plenty of people that would beg to differ. Personally, I thought it was fine.
Also, most of the new characters aren't dead at all. In fact, the only characters that have actually died that played a significant impact on the story would be... Snoke. And Luke, too, if you count him as a "new" character. Phasma was an unnecessary side character that was killed off officially (I hope), Holdo was a character introduced specifically in this movie to serve as a rival to Poe's shenanigans, and I feel her sacrifice was actually pretty cool. Other than that, I can't think of any new characters that were killed off outright. Poe's still alive, Rey's still alive, Finn's still alive, Rose is also still alive. Kylo Ren is alive, Hux is still alive. Most of the new characters are dead, huh?
The_Loaf_Lord wrote:Look, it was ok, but there was too much filler and I felt like they didn't focus on the main aspect of Star Wars, they focused much more on 'romantic' and 'adventurous' experiences with Finn and Rose. It certainly had a different style, and I felt like it was all such a far fetched situation. It wasn't bad, wasn't average, not excellent, but good-ish.
The first Star Wars movie was a space adventure drama with a sort of romance (not so much IV, more V) undertone. The "focus" on Finn and Rose lasted a whole, like, 45 minutes out of a 2 and a half hour film. Try to remember more aspects to the movie before you criticize it for a subplot that took up barely a quarter of it!

This is why I think it's better for people to fairly criticize films after they've watched them multiple times and on their own. Same thing happened to The Force Awakens and Rogue One.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:19 am

Danny wrote:I'm going to make replies in a separate post because I don't want to build a wall.
Artemis008 wrote: I felt like the entire movie was meaningless. The whole "code breaker" sequence which took up a good portion of the film led to nothing, because they ended up going with their original plan anyway. Luke attempted to murder one of his pupils and destroyed everything that they fought for, which was super out of character and just weird. Not as weird as the scene where Leia survives an explosion in space and fucking flew back to safety. Just like most of the film, it was pointless and led to nothing. Oh, but they killed Luke off in yet another meaningless scene. He projects a hologram of himself to survive a fight with Kylo and give the resistance time to escape and DIES ANYWAY. They should have had Luke survive to the next film and killed Leia instead, it would have been easier to do on their part since Carrie is dead irl, Luke would have gotten the spotlight I felt like they were building up to and they would have been able to easily close off the new trilogy. I have no clue what they'll do next, since most of the new characters are dead. I'm not excited, I'm just scared and confused.

And RIP Admiral Ackbar
The "code breaker" sequence, aka the whole Canto Bight subplot, was a total of 45 minutes out of a 2 and a half hour long movie, so it didn't take up a "good portion" of the film. It also lead to something, and that something was still kind of meaningless.
As for Luke attempting to murder Ben Solo, in the flashback sequences and dialogue shared during them, Luke explains specifically that he believed Snoke had got to Ben, and that he could see the dark in him. Luke was fearful that Ben would destroy everything that he had worked hard to achieve, and in the end, he was right. It was specifically outlined that Luke was wholly hesitant on killing Ben, which I believe is apparent in the last flashback scene. It wasn't particularly out of character for Luke to do this at all, not just because of the thirty year gap, but because Luke has always has somewhat of a tinge of the dark in him, which is partially expressed by the whole cave scene with the fake Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and then Luke's brutal defeat of Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.
Most of the film was character development, so it wasn't really pointless at all, because without it, people would still find a reason to complain about the film. How was it pointless, and how did it lead to nothing? It changed the playing field by placing Kylo Ren in the position of Supreme Leader of the First Order, it dwindled the Resistance to barely anything, it debunked wild theories that people had, and it reinforced that there are other Force users, such as that kid at the end. Luke's death was not really meaningless at all, because he arrived on Crait when no one else could get there, and he played against Kylo Ren's emotions to allow the Resistance to flee from their corner. You have to think though, by Luke's words, is he really "dead"? It is heavily implied that he will return as a Force ghost, and his legacy will also live on, as also seen with those slave kids at the end. Luke's physical death has basically allowed him to actually continue living.
Leia was not killed off because she was supposed to appear in Episode IX, but because Carrie Fisher died after the filming of the film, there was no way they would have been able to change things, and so it was left as-is. While I'm completely indifferent on the whole bridge explosion part where I thought Leia had actually died, I think that scene exists to show that Leia did have the ability to use the Force, and that the Force is more powerful in ways we haven't seen (Luke creating a flawless astral projection of himself on Crait, which is light years away, Snoke being able to telepathically link Kylo and Rey, which is light years away, and Leia being able to survive the vacuum of space and pull herself back to safety). Maybe that scene was a little ridiculous or silly, but there are plenty of people that would beg to differ. Personally, I thought it was fine.
Also, most of the new characters aren't dead at all. In fact, the only characters that have actually died that played a significant impact on the story would be... Snoke. And Luke, too, if you count him as a "new" character. Phasma was an unnecessary side character that was killed off officially (I hope), Holdo was a character introduced specifically in this movie to serve as a rival to Poe's shenanigans, and I feel her sacrifice was actually pretty cool. Other than that, I can't think of any new characters that were killed off outright. Poe's still alive, Rey's still alive, Finn's still alive, Rose is also still alive. Kylo Ren is alive, Hux is still alive. Most of the new characters are dead, huh?
The_Loaf_Lord wrote:Look, it was ok, but there was too much filler and I felt like they didn't focus on the main aspect of Star Wars, they focused much more on 'romantic' and 'adventurous' experiences with Finn and Rose. It certainly had a different style, and I felt like it was all such a far fetched situation. It wasn't bad, wasn't average, not excellent, but good-ish.
The first Star Wars movie was a space adventure drama with a sort of romance (not so much IV, more V) undertone. The "focus" on Finn and Rose lasted a whole, like, 45 minutes out of a 2 and a half hour film. Try to remember more aspects to the movie before you criticize it for a subplot that took up barely a quarter of it!

This is why I think it's better for people to fairly criticize films after they've watched them multiple times and on their own. Same thing happened to The Force Awakens and Rogue One.
If I don't enjoy a film the first time why would I waste time watching it again, especially when I'm seeing it in theaters? I'm not being paid to write reviews so what I say is my opinion, whether or not you enjoy the film is something you have to decide. Beyond that, I thought Rouge One wasn't perfect but had a few great moments and Awakens was a solid film despite its over reliance on nostalgia. Last Jedi had a few neat scenes and I did like how they developed Rey's character, but I didn't like the Casino Night Zone segment, I didn't like that they killed off Snoke (and don't even try and tell me he survived) before we learned much about him. I also didn't like how they did it to Sideous in ROTJ, btw. I didn't like that they brought back Phasma for another 10 seconds just to kill her off again. That's the thing about this film, for every one thing I like about it, there's two or three things I don't like.

Also are we not putting these in spoilers anymore?

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:38 pm

This thread already has a spoiler warning in the title to begin with, so it's redundant. But the point of watching a film again, even if you didn't enjoy it, is to receive it in a different environment. You can analyze detail much better on a second viewing, and it's better to do so on your own time once it comes out on DVD or whatever. You've fallen back on most of your other gripes about the film from what I can tell, though, so I really have to question to what degree do you find the things you don't like about the film as an issue? Phasma coming back just to die for real is kind of useless, but it's such a minuscule issue that it doesn't and shouldn't represent your opinion of the movie as a whole.

The more important issue that everyone seems to be evading is where is the Solo trailer it literally comes out in like 5 months.

Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Artemis008 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:54 am

Danny wrote:This thread already has a spoiler warning in the title to begin with, so it's redundant. But the point of watching a film again, even if you didn't enjoy it, is to receive it in a different environment. You can analyze detail much better on a second viewing, and it's better to do so on your own time once it comes out on DVD or whatever. You've fallen back on most of your other gripes about the film from what I can tell, though, so I really have to question to what degree do you find the things you don't like about the film as an issue? Phasma coming back just to die for real is kind of useless, but it's such a minuscule issue that it doesn't and shouldn't represent your opinion of the movie as a whole.

The more important issue that everyone seems to be evading is where is the Solo trailer it literally comes out in like 5 months.
The phasma thing was minor admittedly, however Snoke's death, the Casino Night Zone segment, Leia's awkward flying scene, and many other things were not minor and took away from the enjoyment of the film one way or another. When it comes out on DVD I'll torrent it, but I don't see the merits of paying to watch a film I didn't really enjoy twice. Since again, these are exclusively my opinions and I'm not a professional critic. I'm just here to enjoy myself.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Kinda felt like Snoke was killed off too early, but I'm excited to see what Kylo Ren will do as supreme leader in the next episode.

thunderlakitu
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby thunderlakitu » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 am

And what was the point of Luke's map? remember how in TFA Luke made a map for them to find? and now in this movie is "no, I'm here to die, I will not teach anybody"
and in fact, neither Rey or Kylo train, but for some reason now they are super good.
And how is possible that in such a big ass universe, nobody give a shit about the rebels when they needed help? and why Holdo didn't told anybody her plan when, again, the resistance is less than 100 guys, they all believe are going to die, they are scared and since they see she is not doing anything, they believe they have to do something to survive, and that's why Poe made that stupid plan that wasted 45 minutes, and the only thing it did was to put the rebels in an even worse situation.
Also, Finn learn the same lesson from TFA, and Rose's romantic subplot was pretty bad.
I felt like the movie wasted a lot of potential and powerful scenes.
Tragic Death of Leia? Nah.
Snoke dark origins? Nah.
The last hope, Rey, joins the dark side? Nah.
Finn sacrifices himself for the good of the rebels? Nah.
Luke have an epic lightsaber battle? Nah.
Phasma doing something? Hell no! she is only in the movie to sell toys!

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:36 pm

I just saw this movie today and really enjoyed it. Probably one of my favourites, if not my favourite of the franchise. The action scenes were cheographed very well, special effects were great, creative direction, good acting, and I really valued the plot (how it followed multiple groups of characters in different locations along the same timeline without feeling disjointed). I really liked how the telepathic connection between Rey and Ren was actually initiated by Snoke, while it leads you to consider if Rey and Ren are actually related, as Luke and Leia did a similar thing. Tbh I understand why Mark Hamill's character was killed off since now it's only the new cast (we won't be seeing Luke, Leia, or Han again). I also really liked seeing Yoda. Some of the subtleties in this movie were quite impressive as well after you picked up on them. I wasn't too happy about where Poe's character was going and how he kinda played an antagonistic role a bit but was happy for the resolution and the tension helped further the film. Finn was also portrayed in a little bit more of a comfortable manner to me (he was a little too crazy and made me cringe a bit in Episode VII). I can see why some people didn't enjoy it and come out of the movie as happy as I did because you really had to be paying attention to understand all if the subtle developments in plot, etc. I also loved the creatures in this one.

Also, what did y'all think of the sound cutting out at the one part? I thought it had a great memorable effect and showed quite the creativity and risk taking since some people in the theatre were very confused and I absolutely love that

chuckster
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly the socially naive idiot theloaflord
Current Project: smw stuff

Postby chuckster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:39 pm

PixelPest wrote:(he was a little too crazy and made me cringe a bit in Episode VII)
That's why I liked Flynn. He had a different, less serious personality than most characters. Most characters in Star Wars are very serious (Excluding Han Solo.) in their ways and that's why I liked him. He was an energetic break from the usual, a unique personality for a character with a unique back story.

But in The Last Jedi he is more serious (Not entirely, but a fair bit.) and I frowned apon that because they ruined part of my favourite Star Wars character.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:06 am

PixelPest wrote: Also, what did y'all think of the sound cutting out at the one part? I thought it had a great memorable effect and showed quite the creativity and risk taking since some people in the theatre were very confused and I absolutely love that
You mean that one REALLY COOL visual close to the end of the movie? I figured it was a "there's no sound in space" thing and either way I thought silence was the perfect complement to it.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 am

The_Loaf_Lord wrote:
PixelPest wrote:(he was a little too crazy and made me cringe a bit in Episode VII)
That's why I liked Flynn. He had a different, less serious personality than most characters. Most characters in Star Wars are very serious (Excluding Han Solo.) in their ways and that's why I liked him. He was an energetic break from the usual, a unique personality for a character with a unique back story.

But in The Last Jedi he is more serious (Not entirely, but a fair bit.) and I frowned apon that because they ruined part of my favourite Star Wars character.
I liked him as a more serious character. In The Force Awakens his energetic personality seemed a little forced (not by the acting which he acted well) but just by the plot in general. I didn't feel like he was put in a position to accurately be such an enthusiastic, high-energy character and I much preferred the strong, thoughtful hero role he played in Episode VIII.

Also if you like him that much you might want to note that his name is Finn, not "Flynn" ;).
Magician wrote:
PixelPest wrote: Also, what did y'all think of the sound cutting out at the one part? I thought it had a great memorable effect and showed quite the creativity and risk taking since some people in the theatre were very confused and I absolutely love that
You mean that one REALLY COOL visual close to the end of the movie? I figured it was a "there's no sound in space" thing and either way I thought silence was the perfect complement to it.
Yeah exactly. That's what I thought they were trying to emulate

Return to “Sandbox”