Page 1 of 2

RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 am
by Knux
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19212

I don't normally make threads like these anymore but what is with the general nastiness in this thread? For a start, I see no plagiarism here - he isn't claiming it as his own episode, he knows as much as you know that it's just the default episode but revamped with SMB3 GFX, something usually praised here. but the overwhelmingly negative feedback is just uncalled for and really rude. This kind of behaviour is going to make users shy away from the community rather than want to submit more content. just a thought.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 am
by glitch4
I'm smart and I don't think making a remake by one style is plagiarism.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am
by Electriking
I am also pretty sure you don't need to get permission from Redigit to remake his episodes

Also it was The Invsion 1, not 2, FYI

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am
by arcade999
Yeah, there is MANY behaviours that really didn't help to get new members, like, I saw many many many locked threads that were from new users or young childs, wich think that, if these were their FIRST THREADS, they get a pretty bad image of smbx in general, same when one of them post a graphic or anything, and everyone jump on them to tell what is wrong with graphics and doing tons of recommandations. I guess it can be too much to ask to a kid in elementary school or someone new. Also there is a lot of pressure on members, sometime, I am going to wrote something, but I finally never post it, by being scared to get a mod message saying that my post isn't ``relevant``. Just to say that smbx should change it approach with begginers or less experimented users to avoid them being shy to post content... :|

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am
by HeroLinik
arcade999 wrote:same when one of them post a graphic or anything, and everyone jump on them to tell what is wrong with graphics and doing tons of recommandations.
So we're now saying that it's rude to point out faults in certain stuff and then advise them on how to improve? Jeez, that's one messed-up society.

The real fault lies not with the critic, but with the creator. It's the fact that people can't even take it properly and instead have a go at the critic and take their words the wrong way by accusing them of being "harsh" when in reality they're thin-skinned individuals who can't even take criticism and want everything their own way, as if the world revolves around them. If people can just learn to take criticism properly and not start ranting at the critic (and this has been going on for a while, it isn't new) then this would be a better place. If you don't want criticism, then don't even bother trying to do it.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 am
by arcade999
HeroLinik wrote:
arcade999 wrote:same when one of them post a graphic or anything, and everyone jump on them to tell what is wrong with graphics and doing tons of recommandations.
So we're now saying that it's rude to point out faults in certain stuff and then advise them on how to improve? Jeez, that's one messed-up society.

The real fault lies not with the critic, but with the creator. It's the fact that people can't even take it properly and instead have a go at the critic and take their words the wrong way by accusing them of being "harsh" when in reality they're thin-skinned individuals who can't even take criticism and want everything their own way, as if the world revolves around them. If people can just learn to take criticism properly and not start ranting at the critic (and this has been going on for a while, it isn't new) then this would be a better place. If you don't want criticism, then don't even bother trying to do it.
Did you listened what I said? It is not a question of accepting criticisme or not, but HOW HARD IT CAN FOR BEGGINERS to get tons of critics for the very first time even if they may not understand, mostly when they are young kids.

(there is nices ways to criticize tho, and it is not alway the fault of the creator if the critics don't know how to criticise properly)

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am
by Cedur
arcade999 wrote:Yeah, there is MANY behaviours that really didn't help to get new members, like, I saw many many many locked threads that were from new users or young childs, wich think that, if these were their FIRST THREADS, they get a pretty bad image of smbx in general, same when one of them post a graphic or anything, and everyone jump on them to tell what is wrong with graphics and doing tons of recommandations. I guess it can be too much to ask to a kid in elementary school or someone new. Also there is a lot of pressure on members, sometime, I am going to wrote something, but I finally never post it, by being scared to get a mod message saying that my post isn't ``relevant``. Just to say that smbx should change it approach with begginers or less experimented users to avoid them being shy to post content... :|
and now faulty episode / project threads get deleted, and the OPs will be privately and unambigiously told as to why. The rules are visible enough as a sticky thread, yet there are so many newbies ignoring them (and, in fact, not giving a serious effort to contribute stuff anyway and disappearing quickly no matter how they've been treated). And our main audience are juveniles / young adolescents, so you can expect conversation to be on the respective level most of the times.

I can give you that the moderation may be a little rude or patronizing at times, and it's clear that one will feel offended from that. But in the end, it's still supposed to tell you what you've done wrong, without intending a personal attack. Don't determine your anxiety to post stuff by the mods, determine it by common sense.

As for the topic itself, there is at least an unwritten rule to not take other people's stuff and make marginal changes to it and gain attention for it.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am
by Electriking
arcade999 wrote:(there is nices ways to criticize tho, and it is not alway the fault of the creator if the critics don't know how to criticise properly)
Even those who do criticise properly can upset people who do not take that criticism properly

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 pm
by arcade999
Electriking wrote:
arcade999 wrote:(there is nices ways to criticize tho, and it is not alway the fault of the creator if the critics don't know how to criticise properly)
Even those who do criticise properly can upset people who do not take that criticism properly
Never said they didn't.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm
by HenryRichard
People were unnecessarily rude there (I don't know if I'm included in that, can someone tell me?), but what he did should still be frowned upon.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:54 pm
by Electriking
HenryRichard wrote:People were unnecessarily rude there (I don't know if I'm included in that, can someone tell me?), but what he did should still be frowned upon.
Who, the OP? Kley? Who do you mean by he?

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm
by Knux
I don't see how it should be frowned up, please go into more detail with that.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:00 pm
by Snessy the duck
If stuff like this isn't allowed, then how come episodes like these, which clearly use levels from other episodes, haven't been locked yet?

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 am
by HenryRichard
Taking other's work and just slapping new graphics on it without changing anything else is lazy and develops very little actual skill. A remake is fine, but an exact copy isn't. It's basically the equivelent of most Nightcore and Vaporwave - taking someone's work and altering it in a very minor way that doesn't improve it at all.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:24 am
by Danny
But this is where a line has to be drawn when referring to laziness and general appreciation. Laziness would imply a level of plagiarism that doesn't exist in this instance. The user clearly showed appreciation for The Invasion, and wanted to see it in a SMB3 style. I don't see what the big idea is. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy, especially something as simple and as innocent as this.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:50 am
by Magician
I think this warrants further discussion.
It's not plagiarism if you're not passing off someone's work as your own.

And since it's not plagiarism, does anyone want to talk about why it isn't acceptable when someone shares a derivative work of someone's else's creation when they're up front about what it is?

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:55 am
by Zha Hong Lang
HeroLinik wrote:So we're now saying that it's rude to point out faults in certain stuff and then advise them on how to improve? Jeez, that's one messed-up society.

The real fault lies not with the critic, but with the creator. It's the fact that people can't even take it properly and instead have a go at the critic and take their words the wrong way by accusing them of being "harsh" when in reality they're thin-skinned individuals who can't even take criticism and want everything their own way, as if the world revolves around them. If people can just learn to take criticism properly and not start ranting at the critic (and this has been going on for a while, it isn't new) then this would be a better place. If you don't want criticism, then don't even bother trying to do it.
To be honest though, it's also the responsibility of the critic to keep their post focused on the actual criticism and not get carried away with their feelings on it. I've often seen people on this forum criticize with an unnecessarily negative tone (especially to what are beginner mistakes), and so the "thin-skinned individuals" have a hard time distinguishing between the critic's rational points and the critic's attitude.

There are certainly cases where a creator simply can't take criticism, but those are much less common than when a creator receives an abundant amount of negativity for trivial problems.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 pm
by Danny
I'm less bothered by the content and topic of whether or not it was plagiarism itself, and I'm more concerned by the general outcry and very negative/aggressive attitude people had displayed towards it, because it was shot down at an extremely fast rate and there was no room for actual civil discussion on whether or not it was acceptable and appreciative, which the answer to both of those should be "yes", at least for the most part. The community has always been so quick to judge and destroy something someone has worked on for whatever reason, and I think it's time that comes to a stop.

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 pm
by HenryRichard
So I can just reskin everyone else's episodes and never explicitly say that they're mine and I'm fine and anyone who disagrees is wrong? How does that make any sense at all?

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 pm
by Mosaic
HenryRichard wrote:So I can just reskin everyone else's episodes and never explicitly say that they're mine and I'm fine and anyone who disagrees is wrong? How does that make any sense at all?
But the thing is, this was only ONE episode, not a billion of them.