Programming

Off-topic discussion.
FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Re: Programming

Postby FanofSMBX » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:58 pm

So SMBX teaches you about some of the basic ideas of coding, but it doesn't actually make you pick up a certain language and go "Hey, I understand this perfectly! Thanks SMBX!!!"?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:06 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:So SMBX teaches you about some of the basic ideas of coding, but it doesn't actually make you pick up a certain language and go "Hey, I understand this perfectly! Thanks SMBX!!!"?
You sure are taking everything easy. For me, SMBX was not too hard to make actually but by layers and events it was not too understandable at first but later I learned and get used to in (especially right now).

By Programming, maybe I will be another programmer and making new PC Games (and I hope with Level Editor too if I can) but until now I did not even learned how to do this so yeah, gonna wait...

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: learning C through PSP game programming

Postby Axiom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Namyrr wrote:So, how many of you here are programmers? My hope is to one day be working as a programmer, to be making video games, whether it be indie or with a company.
And so, my question is this: Somewhere, somehow, I managed to obtain a Java book-pdf and a C++ book-pdf which specifically teaches how to think and code like a video game programmer.
Now here's my problem:
  • I'd much rather start in C#... though I lack any way of truly 'learning' and understanding it.
  • I don't have a C++ coding console, nor do I know where to get one.
  • I don't think I, as a beginner, would want to start in C++, would I?
What do I do?
We've already talked about this in chat but I'm going to post it again here just in case anyone is curious.

Most of you know that I've been programming for a little bit now, about 3 years evident by the past two programs I've made for SMBX. For anyone wanting to get into that is primarily a Windows-OS person, start with Visual Basic.NET. Almost the same as SMBX's programming language with some help from the wonderful .NET Framework. From then I'd move onto C#. This is what I've done. The reason I'd suggest doing this is that Visual Basic is simple enough to not confuse newbies but also much of the classes (EG: Streamreader for reading text files, Linq for XML, etc) are very similar in VB.NET and C# thus why code converters will exist for say VB.NET to C# and vice versa.

As to what to program with, Visual Studio. Visual Studio Express enables you to download the languages you want or if you're serious about it, just buy the whole VS (don't know how much it is). Visual Studio supports C#, Visual Basic and Microsoft's implementation of C++ which will be a start in the right direction. Visual Studio includes some great debugging tools and a top notch form designer. I can't recommend it enough honestly.

thenewboston on YouTube AKA Bucky is a great way to learn C#, Visual Basic, or any other programming languages. If any of you are curious as to how everything works, I've made my source codes publicly available for a reason on my GitHub Page for a reason ;)
GhostHawk wrote:
Raster wrote:SMBX can teach you what events are and how to manage them. This is largely a part of Mathematics but I wouldn't call SMBX entirely useless when it comes to learning how to code.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't understand how events could really help teach anything related to programming. I guess it may be possible that it can be similar to calling different classes of data, but that's all I could think of.
I wouldn't necessarily say mathematics but definitely in programming in general. Especially when working with multithreaded programs and such and waiting for one thread to get done, etc..even I haven't delved there for a reason.
what am I??? doing

- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses Unity Remake
- Florida Van Man YouTube Channel, where I DIY repair Sprinter vans.
- 3 small games in development

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Joey wrote:I see what Raster means - at least, I can relate events and programming from my own experience. Toggling layers is the best example I can think of, especially when you have multiple layers that are supposed to exist separately (i.e. only one layer shown a time) with their objects existing in the same location. Most events entail "this makes this happen, but if the player does this then this can happen instead" - there aren't explicit conditionals, but rather implicit ones created by event triggers (like hitting a block).
Exactly what I meant. Think of it as 'after x happens make y happen.' Take Visual Basic as an example. The language is event-induced, and not fully OoP (Object-oriented programming) so it works like 'if users clicks commandbutton1 then formx appears'. This is very similar to how SMBX handles events and layers.
So SMBX teaches you about some of the basic ideas of coding, but it doesn't actually make you pick up a certain language and go "Hey, I understand this perfectly! Thanks SMBX!!!"?
Erm, not quite. You're still going to spend hours after hours of research and coding basic stuff. But don't feel discouraged! Programming can be mastered with exercise and hard work, and the effort will help you in the long run.

Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Namyrr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Bumping this thread to share this website I've found that might be of use to anyone who wants to learn any code. I started reading and taking notes and such off this a few days ago, but I haven't gone very far yet. I'm up to the end of the Operators chapter.

http://www.completecsharptutorial.com/index.php

So far, the only new information I've gotten from what I already knew from a semester-long java class was the XOR operator. Which, might I add, I cannot seem to understand very well. I see how it works, but what I can't see is why it would be useful.

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Programming

Postby MistakesWereMade » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:32 am

How are you involved with programming? What have you made? What do you plan to do with it? Share it with us.

In my case, i'm planning on taking it as a base career (software design, game design, etc). and i'm currently studying on it. just now i did the WORLDS GREATEST JAVA SWING CALCULATOR WHICH ONLY USES 2 INTEGERS AND CAN ONLY EXECUTE 4 OPERATIONS. and i'm also going to try and work on a small project for additional points in my semester and for fun.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:50 am

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:57 am

Namyrr wrote:So far, the only new information I've gotten from what I already knew from a semester-long java class was the XOR operator. Which, might I add, I cannot seem to understand very well. I see how it works, but what I can't see is why it would be useful.
Since Nien made a thread and this is going to be necro-bumped anyway when it's merged I'll just make this post.

If for some reason you come back from the dead, the XOR operator is useful for random number generation, and making a xor cipher.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:00 am

ok merged.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Axiom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:10 am

Nien wrote:How are you involved with programming? What have you made? What do you plan to do with it? Share it with us.

In my case, i'm planning on taking it as a base career (software design, game design, etc). and i'm currently studying on it. just now i did the WORLDS GREATEST JAVA SWING CALCULATOR WHICH ONLY USES 2 INTEGERS AND CAN ONLY EXECUTE 4 OPERATIONS. and i'm also going to try and work on a small project for additional points in my semester and for fun.
i made the npc editor, episode manager, 204938230948 other programs that I don't really share with anyone. i'm currently making a 2D Minecraft clone in MonoGame for learning purposes. I've also made things in Java with LibGDX (which is really nice to use). i plan on doing this as a living so lol. currently learning C++ on the side
what am I??? doing

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:18 pm

I've been working on a music player in my free time.

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Axiom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:13 pm

^^ it's good shit
trust me
what am I??? doing

colt05
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby colt05 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm great at programming actually. http://colt05.github.io
BTC: 16HLrNKTFs2ykLQyqoPBzfC6EMFm7hFG3c
DOGE: DRcRhwKwbfSFrpaSkjbriGkE3pjMkuNoGZ
LTC: LQfGHCuxkpLgg6sWjVrC9Wx324AYVCYmKC

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:24 pm

colt05 wrote:I'm great at programming actually. http://colt05.github.io
A lot of these just show README files.

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Axiom » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:45 pm

AeroMatter wrote:
i think he was being sarcastic
what am I??? doing

colt05
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby colt05 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Axiom wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:
i think he was being sarcastic
No, colt05.github.io/slow-flying-pizza is not a README file, it just takes a while to load.
BTC: 16HLrNKTFs2ykLQyqoPBzfC6EMFm7hFG3c
DOGE: DRcRhwKwbfSFrpaSkjbriGkE3pjMkuNoGZ
LTC: LQfGHCuxkpLgg6sWjVrC9Wx324AYVCYmKC

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:04 am

Code: Select all

printf("Don't let this thread die again. Post your projects.\n");

Axiom
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Axiom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:02 pm

AeroMatter wrote:

incomplete

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    return 0;
}
Anyway yeah I'll post my latest project

https://github.com/Luigifan/MTechEngine

Basically this is just me fucking around with C++ & SDL. I'm pretty pleased with the direction this project is going and I'm making including Lua extensibility from the start too so.

I just got done working on the title screen. Also, sound/music work. And yes, it compiles fine on Linux and presumabely Mac OS X
what am I??? doing

lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: Soundtrack stuff

Postby lighthouse64 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:36 am

The only programming I know is web coding. I'm still trying to improve my JS skills...
Just your average user...

Oh, and sometimes I arrange stuff like this :P https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ ... 25261b1a11

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Postby Uzendayo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm taking my school's AP computer science class which is JAVA and I hate it and I also know Visual Basic.
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

Return to “Sandbox”