Movies on film vs Digital movies

Off-topic discussion.
Metamorphizer
Swooper
Swooper

Movies on film vs Digital movies

Postby Metamorphizer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:29 am

Do you have an opinion on the film vs digital debate?

35 mm film has been the worldwide standard for displaying movies in theaters since the 1890s, but most theaters have been converted to digital projection. Some people would argue that film has a more natural look than digital (and it can have better resolution than digital), but digital projection is cheaper than manufacturing film, easier to project, and allows for more possibilities in terms of audio and picture.

For me personally, removing film from theaters kind of makes going to see a movie less unique than just watching it at home. Projecting film at home is impractical, so seeing a movie on 35 mm film was really only possible at a cinema, but now with digital projection it's like watching a glorified Blu-ray on a really big screen. I don't know, maybe the concept of movie theaters is irrelevant now. What do you think? Do care either way or does it not make a difference for you.

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: Movies on film vs Digital movies

Postby Knux » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:58 am

If I'm completely honest, movies at my cinema look like standard definiton. Last year I went to see Doctor Strange and Rogue One, and neither looked HD at all.

Hawkeyeone
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Hawkeye City

Postby Hawkeyeone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 am

I like film. I guess that nowadays it's good for showings of higher tier films like Rogue One. I'm fine with digital but I will say that I like film much more.

Now on the topic of shooting with film or digital... Film should just always be used. You can scan it at whatever becomes the next big digital resolution in ten years, but films shot with digital are stuck there. Star Wars Episodes II and III(Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith) were shot in 1080p digital, so we're never going to have true 4K versions of those two films.

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Knux » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Well, take a look at what happened with Toy Story 2. A perfect example on why film should be kept instead of digital.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:56 pm

^
Wait what do you mean by that?
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Knux
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Knux » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:34 am

Pseudo wrote:^
https://thenextweb.com/media/2012/05/21 ... -own-good/

Metamorphizer
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Metamorphizer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Wow, I had never heard about that incident. Even more insane that the entire movie was remade in 9 months. Though that isn't really a case where film would have saved anyone, since the movie wasn't in any condition to be shown.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Knux wrote:
Pseudo wrote:^
https://thenextweb.com/media/2012/05/21 ... -own-good/
Wow, that was an interesting read. There definitely are certain advantages to keeping the film because of that, although it's not really an option with computer animated stuff. I'm sure Pixar has figured out some way to better secure their data since that happened though.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Return to “Sandbox”