[POLL] 100 Page Archives: Trial Two

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.

How should archiving work?

Leave it as-is with no changes to the current system.
3%
Archive topics when they hit 100 pages, but only if they're not discussion oriented.
31%
Stop archiving threads based on page count.
67%

Total votes: 39
FallingSnow
Nipper
Nipper

Re: [POLL] 100 Page Archives: Trial Two

Postby FallingSnow » Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 pm

lighthouse64 wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:So many pages of posts can be annoying to go through when you're looking for a specific post.
Yeah it is. Especially for us lunaDLLers. We're stuck with that looooongg topic because you guys obviously feel like it's ok. :|
I don't think that the 100 page rule that is the issue with that.

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby lighthouse64 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:34 pm

FallingSnow wrote:
lighthouse64 wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:So many pages of posts can be annoying to go through when you're looking for a specific post.
Yeah it is. Especially for us lunaDLLers. We're stuck with that looooongg topic because you guys obviously feel like it's ok. :|
I don't think that the 100 page rule that is the issue with that.
Yes, but read zeldamaster12's quote.
Exactly. You obviously don't go into that topic, and since you were even talking about 25 page limits, 92 pages would already seem a lot to you.

And 92 pages. I don't think the mods even want to make a lunadll forum which is why they'd rather just not have the 100 page limit unless they decide to make another topic. (Which just wastes space here)
Just your average user...

Oh, and sometimes I arrange stuff like this :P https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ ... 25261b1a11

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sun May 17, 2015 11:49 pm

While I agree with Zeldamaster about searching for a specific post, if you know who made the post, or what the post was about then you can easily search for it in better ways than by going page by page looking at every post to find it.
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Hi Yuki

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby lighthouse64 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 pm

Apex wrote:While I agree with Zeldamaster about searching for a specific post, if you know who made the post, or what the post was about then you can easily search for it in better ways than by going page by page looking at every post to find it.
Well I guess that is true. You just need certain keywords. I guess the lunadll topic is just long and annoying. :p

Anyways, that'd mean that we'd just have to search through some long threads (We have advanced search for a reason)
Just your average user...

Oh, and sometimes I arrange stuff like this :P https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ ... 25261b1a11

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon May 18, 2015 12:01 pm

lighthouse64 wrote:since you were even talking about 25 page limits, 92 pages would already seem a lot to you.
He was being sarcastic about that, though:
So obviously I wasn't being serious?
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
Spoiler: show
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
Spoiler: show
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

SnifitGuy
Foo
Foo

Postby SnifitGuy » Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Honestly, if there is more to a discussion after 100 pages, then it should be allowed to continue. However, just posting things to keep the thread alive should not be allowed, as they don't follow the guidelines anyway.

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Mon May 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Honestly I don't care how it works as long as people stop whining about it.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Mivixion wrote:Honestly I don't care how it works as long as people stop whining about it.
inb4 "Mivixion is shit mod and doesn't care about how the forum runs"
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 7:28 pm

One of the things that we should be doing but have sometimes neglected to is putting links to and from the old and new topics (i.e. "new thread here" link in the old thread and "old thread" link in the new thread).

Discussion should be able to transcend topics anyway, but that'll make it easier.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Joey wrote:One of the things that we should be doing but have sometimes neglected to is putting links to and from the old and new topics (i.e. "new thread here" link in the old thread and "old thread" link in the new thread).

Discussion should be able to transcend topics anyway, but that'll make it easier.
Pretty much this. Plenty of other places do this and it works, so why shouldn't we?
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Mivixion
Panser
Panser

Postby Mivixion » Mon May 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Bomber57 wrote:
Mivixion wrote:Honestly I don't care how it works as long as people stop whining about it.
inb4 "Mivixion is shit mod and doesn't care about how the forum runs"
Isn't that already a thing?
Either way, I don't see how so much uproar has happened over such a trivial thing. Honestly, either way is fine by me.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 11:19 pm

We had uproar over this situation because a small party of users chose to overreact to it. I'm going to clear things up and then close this thread because I don't think any more discussion would benefit anything.

This is not a rule. You can't be punished for not following it because there's nothing to "follow". It just happens. It's something we do here, and no, I didn't make it up. I like the practice of locking threads once they reach 100 pages because I believe that threads longer than that are too long. I use the analogy of a book in this situation - if a topic is a book, I would much rather have it divided into chapters than sitting out as one giant book. Like I said earlier, discussion can flow just fine between topics (much like the story can flow between chapters).

The archival (moving of the locked threads to a designated forum) of topics that reach 100 pages is a different issue - we do that so that the topics don't get lost in the sea of old topics located in each forum. If a topic has previous versions (older topics that had reached 100 pages) you can now find them all in one forum instead of trying to dig through a normal forum to find them.

Hope this clears things up. Aside from using more links to be able to navigate to and from previous topics, this isn't changing.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”