I've been trying to be quiet for months, but I can't anymore

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: I've been trying to be quiet for months, but I can't any

Postby Aero » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:41 am

StrikeForcer wrote:I have been wanting to say this for the past month due to my knowledge of the feminism, SJW, and liberal movements but its only today I had a self-realization regarding the louder voices on the forum.
I wasn't aware cultural marxism is on the agenda for the SMBX community, but seriously tho... wat?

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:27 am

I was readinfmg over this when something caught my attention...
Joey wrote:As for administrative things not getting done - yes, I get it. This is a bad thing. I think I should make a post soon talking about everything I said I was going to do and whether or not it will ever get done. A good example is the board software upgrade; we actually don't really need this at all. I just thought it would be cool, so I started rebuilding the SMBX style for it and then realized how much work it would be. I've put a lot of weight on upgrading the board software, but in reality it's not nearly as big of a deal.
Okay? So why would you say that it'll happen before you realized how much work it would take?
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Lord Nagaviper
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Give me a job

Postby Lord Nagaviper » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:31 am

Turtwig wrote:I was readinfmg over this when something caught my attention...
Joey wrote:As for administrative things not getting done - yes, I get it. This is a bad thing. I think I should make a post soon talking about everything I said I was going to do and whether or not it will ever get done. A good example is the board software upgrade; we actually don't really need this at all. I just thought it would be cool, so I started rebuilding the SMBX style for it and then realized how much work it would be. I've put a lot of weight on upgrading the board software, but in reality it's not nearly as big of a deal.
Okay? So why would you say that it'll happen before you realized how much work it would take?
Because he probably didn't expect it to take as much work as it ended up taking. It was something Joey thought would be nice to have, but was probably deceitfully difficult to actually put into place.
[insert funny IRC message here]
[insert banners here]
[insert random gif here]
[insert inspirational quote here]

Palisade
Banned

Postby Palisade » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:36 pm

GhostHawk wrote:
StrikeForcer wrote:I have been wanting to say this for the past month due to my knowledge of the feminism, SJW, and liberal movements but its only today I had a self-realization regarding the louder voices on the forum.
I wasn't aware cultural marxism is on the agenda for the SMBX community, but seriously tho... wat?
Knowing tumblr, SMBX will probably have some involvement in feminism...somehow
Lying awake in bed. Feeling the spot on my chest. Where you used to rest your head.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Joey wrote:You say that we should "never" have a single admin ruling over everything, but give no real reasons as to why it's a bad thing besides "everyone will feel like it's a dictatorship". And then we're just going to call one person at the top a "dictatorship"; sure, that's what it is, but it's not like that's uncommon on forums. Even if there's multiple admins, there's still usually a head admin or someone who, at the end of the day, owns the site/forums. This isn't a democracy, but that's not a bad thing.
Sorry, I probably should've elaborated on this more. Having just one admin means that only one person is calling the shots. No other admins to discuss anything besides that one admin, so therefore, the admin's ideas will probably be implemented without the input of another admin who may not share the same ideals. Yeah, you might say that you can discuss all this with your mods, but you and I both know there are those certain things to discuss that are admin-only.
About head admins, I usually call this founder or chief admin. Joey, you have the founder position, meaning that you own the forum. Even though you have admins alongside you, you still get the final word even above the other regular admins.
If the forum update will improve this forum and the community, then I'm all for it. The thing is, you're probably saying that we don't actually need the forum update, but that's just because there's a bunch of people who do not understand that, as stated earlier, this cannot be done within a blink of an eye. That's why I've been patient about the forum update because unlike a lot of people, I understand that it will take a while. About the post you said you'll make, that'd definitely be of help to the community, and it'd probably (at least I'd hope) make users stop complaining to you staff so much.
Joey wrote:This is similar to the admin part. Yes, the forums could use a few more mods, but the problems aren't as big as people are making them out to be. The spam has seemingly stopped, too.
I agree that staff inactivity is not as big of a problem as the userbase makes it, but trust me, it's a much bigger problem than it was previously. As for the spam, if the spam bots stopped appearing, then thank God. Seeing an entire page of spam in a very populated subforum doesn't look good for the forum, and it's most certainly not appealing to new users who've just arrived.
Joey wrote:We are lax, though, with people who follow the rules and act normally. We're not that lax at enforcing the rules, but that's not the fault of us or the rules. That's the fault of users who come in and break the rules. We're not a staff team that makes people walk in line and act the same - we're a staff team that doesn't play around when people don't follow the rules.
What I meant by lax is that you guys do not have a tolerance for breaking the rules. When you guys see rules being broken, you crack down on it and do what needs to be done. And that's a good thing since you don't allow troublemakers and rule breakers to run wild.
Joey wrote:It really depends on how you define high points and low points in relation to good points and bad points. We're not at a low point at all right now - we're at a point that continues to grow higher. This point we're at right now may not be the most fun, but we're figuring stuff out as a community and figuring out the best way to move forward. This is contrary to what some users thought of Knux's Forum back around 2012 - it was a pretty awful place but some people enjoyed it and there weren't enough users that wanted to actually move forward.
I agree that we're growing, but not really that fast. Recently drama has been spreading left and right, most over the same old bullshit, not to mention that huge Knux fiasco on NSMBX. There are a lot of problems involving the community not getting along. But then again, as Glitch, the founder of SMFE told me, when a community grows up being around each other, they tend to get sour vibes with each other. I know that a lot of people here have been around for years, and most probably started at a younger age. Now most are teenagers if not adults, and they've grown up. There's going to be conflict in this case. Now, I'm not saying this community is at a bad point, but it's not particularly at a high point either.
Joey wrote:The forum update doesn't need to get done. I'm sorry I put so much weight on it.
I completely understand why you put so much weight on the forum update. I'm sure with it, it'll improve the forum and I know you want to make the community happy.
Joey wrote:It's not that I don't want to promote anybody else. I just have a hard time listening to the community on their suggestions because they don't have much basis.
It's true what you've said here, because this community doesn't really deal with its problems or discuss forum related situations in the best way. But you have to give those users that you actually do trust somewhat a chance.
Joey wrote:Also, I don't promote users solely because they're veterans. The reason why veterans are often better choices is because I know them better and they're older (which, in most cases, means they're more mature). I'm willing to promote users that aren't veterans, they just have to meet my/our standards. Those people are a bit harder to come by these days.
I know that you know the veterans well since you've been around since the beginning, and yes, you have a very mature staff team, but I don't think age matters. I think GhostHawk is only a month or two older than I am, and TNT is about a year older than I am, I believe. Age doesn't always affect maturity. You can be 32 and still be immature, and you can be 12 and be mature.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:but you and I both know there are those certain things to discuss that are admin-only.
Like what? I usually don't restrict discussion topics with my staff to just administrators.
Zeldamaster12 wrote:If the forum update will improve this forum and the community, then I'm all for it. The thing is, you're probably saying that we don't actually need the forum update, but that's just because there's a bunch of people who do not understand that, as stated earlier, this cannot be done within a blink of an eye. That's why I've been patient about the forum update because unlike a lot of people, I understand that it will take a while. About the post you said you'll make, that'd definitely be of help to the community, and it'd probably (at least I'd hope) make users stop complaining to you staff so much.
No, I mean, we seriously don't need it. All it will do is rearrange some links, remove the global announcement bug (which we haven't had trouble with in a while), and indirectly make the board style easier for me to work with (which doesn't outwardly affect anything).
Zeldamaster12 wrote:I agree that we're growing, but not really that fast. Recently drama has been spreading left and right, most over the same old bullshit, not to mention that huge Knux fiasco on NSMBX. There are a lot of problems involving the community not getting along. But then again, as Glitch, the founder of SMFE told me, when a community grows up being around each other, they tend to get sour vibes with each other. I know that a lot of people here have been around for years, and most probably started at a younger age. Now most are teenagers if not adults, and they've grown up. There's going to be conflict in this case. Now, I'm not saying this community is at a bad point, but it's not particularly at a high point either.
My whole point their was that this "drama" (if we're gonna call it that) may not be fun, but it's helping us work out our differences for the long run.
Zeldamaster12 wrote:It's true what you've said here, because this community doesn't really deal with its problems or discuss forum related situations in the best way. But you have to give those users that you actually do trust somewhat a chance.
I do.
Zeldamaster12 wrote:I know that you know the veterans well since you've been around since the beginning, and yes, you have a very mature staff team, but I don't think age matters. I think GhostHawk is only a month or two older than I am, and TNT is about a year older than I am, I believe. Age doesn't always affect maturity. You can be 32 and still be immature, and you can be 12 and be mature.
You say that as if I don't think you're a trustworthy member who's capable of having a mod position. :P

I've seen a few cases (Namyrr) where the age/maturity predisposition has been broken, but generally age = maturity.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Joey wrote:Like what? I usually don't restrict discussion topics with my staff to just administrators.
I was just going by what I've seen with admins on other forums. You probably run things differently than all those other admins I've seen.
Joey wrote:No, I mean, we seriously don't need it. All it will do is rearrange some links, remove the global announcement bug (which we haven't had trouble with in a while), and indirectly make the board style easier for me to work with (which doesn't outwardly affect anything).
In that case, I guess we really don't need it if it doesn't do anything other than fixing small bugs that don't affect us. I didn't know the contents of the forum update, all I knew is that it's something you've been going to work for for a while now, and I've heard it was important.
Joey wrote:My whole point their was that this "drama" (if we're gonna call it that) may not be fun, but it's helping us work out our differences for the long run.
What else would you call it then? Fighting? Bickering? Conflict? They're essentially the same. =P
And how exactly will all this help us in the long run? I can understand settling some differences, but I've seen the NSMBX archive. This community appears to have had the same old drama for years and it's still ongoing.
Joey wrote:I do.
I didn't mean your current staff team. With the amount of inactivity the staff has, I'm really thinking that there should be a couple more mods, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Joey wrote:You say that as if I don't think you're a trustworthy member who's capable of having a mod position. :P

I've seen a few cases (Namyrr) where the age/maturity predisposition has been broken, but generally age = maturity.
That wasn't what I was getting at, at all. What I'm saying is that age doesn't affect maturity all the time. Age might be a huge factor of maturity in the real world, but the internet differs. I was just making myself a comparison since I don't know a lot of peoples' ages here, and I'm close to the same age as some of the staff.

Palisade
Banned

Postby Palisade » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:12 pm

my entire post was just ignore....GREAT
Lying awake in bed. Feeling the spot on my chest. Where you used to rest your head.

Lord Nagaviper
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Lord Nagaviper » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Palisade wrote:my entire post was just ignore....GREAT
Complaining about it won't make it any better, it's fine. Someone is bound to come around and quote one of your posts someday.

P.S. Oh hey look, it's irony lol
[insert banners here]
[insert random gif here]

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Palisade wrote:my entire post was just ignore....GREAT
I think people would reply to you more often if you weren't throwing around baseless accusations.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Namyrr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Didn't read a lot of the thread, sorry, but I read enough to say that there should definitely not be another 'election.'

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Quest of Fear

Postby Witchking666 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:39 am

I think there should be @namyrr
Lots of the older users are quitting for good right now
But newer ones rise. As i am one of them
I think that the inactive people in the staff should be changed into registered users and that active (not definatly new ones) should take their place
I do not agree about the fact that this community is falling because many new users have Come to the forums and they (at least me) are not planning to leave
I think that Joey should look at users who still visit the forum every single day (i can name more then 30 out of the top of my head) and make an election about it
Give me your opinions
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Spoiler: show
Image.

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am

No pls, the last election was awful. People complained and argued so much. It was horrible.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:54 am

witchking666 wrote:I think there should be @namyrr
Lots of the older users are quitting for good right now
But newer ones rise. As i am one of them
I think that the inactive people in the staff should be changed into registered users and that active (not definatly new ones) should take their place
I do not agree about the fact that this community is falling because many new users have Come to the forums and they (at least me) are not planning to leave
I think that Joey should look at users who still visit the forum every single day (i can name more then 30 out of the top of my head) and make an election about it
Give me your opinions
So you're basically saying "all active people should be mods"

I mean yes, inactive staff is bad, but we can't make people MODS just because they're active
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:01 am

No i am not saying that at all
I am saying Joey should (with an election or not)
Change the inactive users with active users
So only a few of them will be admin/mod
The ones who still like smbx a lot
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:08 am

witchking666 wrote:No i am not saying that at all
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =48&t=9219

Lord Nagaviper
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Lord Nagaviper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:38 am

witchking666 wrote:No i am not saying that at all
That's why we have the unofficial staff application for anyone who is interested, I think Turtwig linked it in his post.
[insert banners here]
[insert random gif here]

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:22 pm

I didnt know
Thank you guys
Bill Hicks.

Check out my stuff:
Image.

m4sterbr0s
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Chat Username: m4sterbr0s

Postby m4sterbr0s » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:41 pm

lol I just laugh at how so much drama goes on in this place

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:02 am

m4sterbr0s wrote:lol I just laugh at how so much drama goes on in this place
I thins your post goes well, with this quote i still got from you.
<m4sterbr0s>But yeah, some people on the forums need to mature more.

Altough, i do agree with you that theres plenty of drama going on here. Especially for a mario forum.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”