[2.4] Luigi's Fight For The Mushroom Kingdom

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.

Thoughts on the episode

Amazing - 5/5
56%
Great - 4/5
37%
Average - 3/5
1%
Eh - 2/5
3%
Bad - 1/5 (Elaborate)
3%

Total votes: 142
Idunn
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Re: [2.4] Luigi's Fight For The Mushroom Kingdom

Postby Idunn » Mon May 25, 2020 9:26 am

If you end up going to use 2.0 for this you will need to check every Level that contains deprecated npcs and replace them with their new ones, like the Smw Thwomp or the Smb3 Podo.

If I recall correctly you also used platforms that used certain lines which you also would need to replace with their newer Counterpart.

So, if you don’t mind some extra Work by switching versions 2.0 would be the thing to use.
But if you wanna keep it simple stay with 1.3 on this one.
Things i support!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am

You can keep deprecated items in X2, they just show up as striked-through in the editor but they still work. They also don't spawn any default message, other than deprecated scripts.

One benefit of moving to X2 would be multipoints, but I don't remember many spots (i.e. overly long levels) where they'd prove essentially useful.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm

That sounds like a lot of work to deal with but maybe it really isn't. X2 does sound like it'd be better to use though, especially now knowing there's a multiple checkpoint feature. I'll have to look into the editor and see how it's like.

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Keep in mind if you update to SMBX2 you will lose native Mac/Linux playability. 1.3 episodes can be played in both TheXTech (basically SMBX 1.3 but multiplatform) and NSMBX (TheXTech with actual new features). Both of these versions add multipoint support as well.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue May 26, 2020 2:33 am

(the downside being that those versions are used by nobody)
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Idunn
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Postby Idunn » Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 am

Can’t you still play SMBX2 through Wine? That has been a possibility for some at least.

Nothing against NSMBX, but I think this one in particular is still way in its early phases atm.

The only really stable one would be X2 atm, it’s nice that you wanna give it’s editor a try.
Pretty sure it will help you a lot, specially when you use certain custom tilesets.
Things i support!
ImageImage

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 am

I'll just stick with X2 since it's the more popular and alive version. I played with X2 and it's definitely quite nice to use, especially with trying to shorten levels like Enjl said! I went and re-did the first level:
Link to images since I know it's hard to see: https://imgur.com/a/lx8xECG
(Yes, I noticed the last 2 sets of swimming squares is short in the last screenshot right after I uploaded the images; it's fixed.
I might edit the first level again coz I do feel it's still a tad bit too long for what it is.
I'm gonna keep this strictly 1.3 based and maaaaybe one day I'll do an X2 version whenever the editor gets completed, but that's definitely no guarantees.

Anyways, I think I will go through with this and edit these levels. No idea how long it'll take and since I'm remaking this, idk if this thread should be moved to Projects or not, but I don't plan on showing much screenshots or updates especially since people already know how the episode's like for the most part.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 am

Neat! The multi-select tool really is a boon after years of having to place everything manually and one-time, isn't it?
I think the thread being here is fine, considering it's an update to an already finished episode and the old download is still available for people to play.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue May 26, 2020 7:40 am

Yeah, I hope you don't remove the old download at any point.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Tue May 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 am
Neat! The multi-select tool really is a boon after years of having to place everything manually and one-time, isn't it?
I think the thread being here is fine, considering it's an update to an already finished episode and the old download is still available for people to play.
Yeah, it's such a HUGE convenience being able to multi-select along with zooming in/out in the editor and some other features.
And alright, I don't plan on removing the old download until I finish remaking the levels anyways

Nadav
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Nadav » Wed May 27, 2020 3:42 am

reghrhre wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:00 pm
Enjl wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 am
Yeah, it's such a HUGE convenience being able to multi-select along with zooming in/out in the editor and some other features.
And alright, I don't plan on removing the old download until I finish remaking the levels anyways
You shouldn't replace the link, you should just add this new link, I mean 2 links, the old one, and the new one, so people who use version 1.3 can still download it.
Check out my episodes:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed May 27, 2020 3:47 am

Nadav wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:42 am
You shouldn't replace the link, you should just add this new link, I mean 2 links, the old one, and the new one, so people who use version 1.3 can still download it.
As outlined a bit earlier in the conversation you were responding to, the new version will still be 1.3 compatible.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed May 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Well, for the current download, I notice three save files with already three stars (not a problem but still worth noting for 1.3 users who don't know how to delete saves), and the SMBX2 launcher says there were five stars in the game?

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 am

Is the Waluigi boss fight (World 2) even possible without a fire flower? Are you supposed to kill the fighter fly in the 2nd phase?
EDIT: I could somehow progress just by taking damage on that fighter fly, but still, it was confusing every time I did this boss, so you might definitely want to look into that

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeah, the new version will still be compatible with 1.3.
Cedur wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 am
Is the Waluigi boss fight (World 2) even possible without a fire flower? Are you supposed to kill the fighter fly in the 2nd phase?
EDIT: I could somehow progress just by taking damage on that fighter fly, but still, it was confusing every time I did this boss, so you might definitely want to look into that
I'll have to look into the current download and see. Could've sworn all save files were removed. And not sure why it says there's 5 stars in the game when there's only 3 so the launcher is probably bugging.
As for the Waluigi boss fight, the whole fight is possible without power ups. At one point when the screen doesn't get stuck in a fixed position, if you go all the way to the right, there's an angry chomp that spits out veggies at the player. You just pick up the veggies from the chomp and then throw it at whatever's necessary. I'll likely make it more obvious since that fight can be a little confusing.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri May 29, 2020 4:11 pm

does that veggie chomp spawn after a set amount of time? (I almost guess, it was probably a wild coincidence that it did when I hurt myself on the fighter fly)

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 am

The veggie chomp spawns after you kill the fighter fly which. I wonder if your game just bugs out or what, coz I never had any bugs from the fight.

EDIT: First world is done being remade. I still feel like the levels are definitely more shorter, but a bit long at the same time. Does anyone wanna try the levels and tell me if they think so or not?

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:12 am

The aircraft level "???" in World 5 annoys me in every run. This one could definitely be considered nerfing. Could you also check if this level can be finished in Beta 4? I had some issues (a message of "couldn't load level" --> death and world map gfx screwed up) and I needed to edit it manually to progress.

Also there should be a powerup after the checkpoint of Lava Pit.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:30 am

I completed my replay.

In Tower of Outlandish Toads, I died (as usual) to the General Toad boss fight. Since it's 2 phases even, I'd suggest to outsource it into a boss level of its own (like the previous worlds) so you don't have to redo the second half of the level on top.

Also a boss at the end of World 6 would be nice.

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks for replaying it, Cedur. I'll try to work on all those things you mentioned.

Idk if there's much people paying attention to this but I finished remaking the boss in 2-4, so I'm making decent progress overall.

Return to “Episodes”