Super Mario Khaos

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
PrinceApple
Rex
Rex
Flair: xander

Super Mario Khaos

Postby PrinceApple » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Super Mario Khaos is an episode made entirely by me (the credits list it as ultragreenmario, my username on pretty much everything, steam, discord, youtube, is ultragreenmario. I can't change my name from princeapple so here we are.)
It has 5 levels, and 10 bosses (No, there is not 2 bosses per level, the final level is a boss rush, and all of the bosses are different-ish, so it's technically 10.)
Any feedback is appreciated.
I have a completed trailer on youtube, https://youtu.be/4XdQ3fT5RIo edited by New Light.
Here is the link to download: https://mega.nz/#!CfhGBChC!fCMh6FLvaNsU ... bawc6ip4sg
The screenshot, didn't really put alot of efford into the screenshot.

Added in 7 minutes 5 seconds:
Episode fixed. Download freely now.
My project(s):
Spoiler: show
Projects I support:

1di_Scroll
Mouser
Mouser
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!

Re: Super Mario Khaos

Postby 1di_Scroll » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Seems decent so far, at least for a first episode.
PrinceApple wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 pm
I can't change my name from princeapple
In fact you can change it, just request an admin via PM to do it for you

PrinceApple
Rex
Rex

Postby PrinceApple » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Agh, probably should have thought of that. Thanks.
My project(s):
Projects I support:

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny

Postby TheBossCDA » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:49 am

This episode was very strange. It's a compilation of weird choices repeated over and over again.

It starts simple enough with the brothers in what is probably Mario's hundredth vacation home he owns through every SMBX episode ever released. Mushroom Kingdom real-estate must be a good investment. There's some weird note about Mario being suspicious of Luigi for some reason, and it cuts to the world map.

The first level is a boot spike hopping level, at least at first. You don't actually need the boot. After a few basic blades on platforms, a split in the path occurs: You can either take the dangerous lower path full of blades and ceiling spikes, or you could take the upper path. The upper path has no obstacles,it and actually makes it easier to make the jump that follows. With a few more well timed jumps full of spikes, you meet the first boss of the game.
When maneuvering the arena, you'll find it to be quite slippery. For some reason, the pipes in this level are made slippery with no indication. This isn't much of an issue though, since this boss can be beaten easily with four constantly respawning turnips.

The next level is metroid themed. A bit out of place, but I guess it's cool. It actually develops on the spike platforms from the previous level by adding Thwomps, making the jumps more frantic and interesting. What's not cool is the blind jump that comes after the first section. It's a vertical drop full of jellyfish that are relentless in sapping away the one fire flower you may have stocked up. Following this is a mother brain fight featuring the propeller-gun thing. Immediately, you'll notice that this boss too is cursed with an inexorably slippery room that probably should not be slippery.

The other levels consist of an ice plain and an airship. Both feature the exact same saw jump gimmick with slippery platforms without much development on these ideas. The boss rush is alright though, if not a bit rudimentary.
Of note is a part of the airship level with a chain. You're supposed to climb the chain to the boss room, but the chain doesn't give any hint of leading anywhere. The player has to climb up the entire thing to trigger a teleporter. If it were telegraphed better, it wouldn't be as confusing.
I feel like the episode could be improved if the design was more varied and thought through. Telegraphing is also a consistent issue, with many things from the slipperyness of floors, blind jumps, and that chain not being communicated well to the player. I'm glad you submitted this episode and I hope you continue to grow as a designer and keep contributing.

PrinceApple
Rex
Rex

Postby PrinceApple » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:53 pm

TheBossCDA wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:49 am
This episode was very strange. It's a compilation of weird choices repeated over and over again.

It starts simple enough with the brothers in what is probably Mario's hundredth vacation home he owns through every SMBX episode ever released. Mushroom Kingdom real-estate must be a good investment. There's some weird note about Mario being suspicious of Luigi for some reason, and it cuts to the world map.

The first level is a boot spike hopping level, at least at first. You don't actually need the boot. After a few basic blades on platforms, a split in the path occurs: You can either take the dangerous lower path full of blades and ceiling spikes, or you could take the upper path. The upper path has no obstacles,it and actually makes it easier to make the jump that follows. With a few more well timed jumps full of spikes, you meet the first boss of the game.
When maneuvering the arena, you'll find it to be quite slippery. For some reason, the pipes in this level are made slippery with no indication. This isn't much of an issue though, since this boss can be beaten easily with four constantly respawning turnips.

The next level is metroid themed. A bit out of place, but I guess it's cool. It actually develops on the spike platforms from the previous level by adding Thwomps, making the jumps more frantic and interesting. What's not cool is the blind jump that comes after the first section. It's a vertical drop full of jellyfish that are relentless in sapping away the one fire flower you may have stocked up. Following this is a mother brain fight featuring the propeller-gun thing. Immediately, you'll notice that this boss too is cursed with an inexorably slippery room that probably should not be slippery.

The other levels consist of an ice plain and an airship. Both feature the exact same saw jump gimmick with slippery platforms without much development on these ideas. The boss rush is alright though, if not a bit rudimentary.
Of note is a part of the airship level with a chain. You're supposed to climb the chain to the boss room, but the chain doesn't give any hint of leading anywhere. The player has to climb up the entire thing to trigger a teleporter. If it were telegraphed better, it wouldn't be as confusing.
I feel like the episode could be improved if the design was more varied and thought through. Telegraphing is also a consistent issue, with many things from the slipperyness of floors, blind jumps, and that chain not being communicated well to the player. I'm glad you submitted this episode and I hope you continue to grow as a designer and keep contributing.
Hey, thank you for your feedback. Apologies if this is a month late (which it is), I am for some reason not subscribed to any of my posts. I do appreciate the feedback, though. This level was some sort of weird f***ed up concept by me to try and replicate kaizo but easier, and it didn't work at all. This is probably my least favorite creation, to date. I tried to give it an original story by saying the sadistic f*** Luigi is working with bowser to put Mario through some sort of torturous world of levels, or something. That's why the final boss was with Brobot L-type or whatever it's called. My new levels/episodes are much better than whatever you'd want to call this demonic hellspawn of a creation, that's for sure. If you wanna check out my most recent project, it's in my signature. Thanks again, for your feedback.
My project(s):
Projects I support:

_FernandoG_
Goomba
Goomba

Postby _FernandoG_ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 am

easy

Return to “Episodes”