Star coins? (1.4.4)

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:43 pm
Chat Username: TheBossCDA

Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby TheBossCDA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 am

What are some ways to add overworld functionality to star coins? Will I need to use teascript or is there a built in feature that I don't know about?
Image

Sans2009
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm
Chat Username: Eythan

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby Sans2009 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm

:?: What Star Coin :|

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution
Current Project: Producer of the Novaverse
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby Eri7 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm

What do you mean by ,,add overworld functionality "
Do you want them to do stuff if you collect enough of them or?

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:43 pm
Chat Username: TheBossCDA

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby TheBossCDA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Eri7 wrote:What do you mean by ,,add overworld functionality "
Do you want them to do stuff if you collect enough of them or?
Yeah, essentially
Image

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm

You could use the power star collectibles, and change the graphic to look like star coins. Atleast that way you won't have to use much programming. (This works better for 2.0 but should still work if done correctly). You can then simply make a level with a pipe as an exit, and the player could only go through after getting enough of the stars / star coins. Take SMSE where this was used to unlock new worlds, the only difference is that SMSE used the default Star Graphics.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

TheBossCDA
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:43 pm
Chat Username: TheBossCDA

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby TheBossCDA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Taycamgame wrote:You could use the power star collectibles, and change the graphic to look like star coins. Atleast that way you won't have to use much programming. (This works better for 2.0 but should still work if done correctly). You can then simply make a level with a pipe as an exit, and the player could only go through after getting enough of the stars / star coins. Take SMSE where this was used to unlock new worlds, the only difference is that SMSE used the default Star Graphics.
I've had issues with getting stars to work consistently. The coding is probably jacked up in 1.4.4, there are tons of issues with what I can presume are star indexes in levels which are getting mixed up
Image

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm

If all else fails you could try switching over to 2.0, that has lunalua support so you could make custom npc configs, and i'm pretty sure stars do work in 2.0. There are 3 types, the SMB3 Exit star, The blue Exit one and the other Collectible one, which ones have you tried / had problems with?
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4487
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: Star coins? (1.4.4)

Postby Electriking » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Taycamgame wrote:If all else fails you could try switching over to 2.0, that has lunalua support so you could make custom npc configs, and i'm pretty sure stars do work in 2.0. There are 3 types, the SMB3 Exit star, The blue Exit one and the other Collectible one, which ones have you tried / had problems with?
You don't sem to understand the difference between 2.0 and 1.4.
There are actual star coins in 1.4. I don't know if or how they can be used for purposes outside the level they are used in but those star coins don't exist i 2.0. And there are only 2 types of stars in 2.0.

Also,while 2.0 is better than 1.4 (IMO at least) switching is probably not an option as 1.4 is not even SMBX, and so 2.0, being a different engine, can completely fuck up 1.4 levels.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF


Return to “Help and Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest