Crashes and Freezes

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
LunarCatUSA
Bit
Bit
Flair: Soda-Butler

Crashes and Freezes

Postby LunarCatUSA » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 am

1. Whenever I run the SMBX Launcher app, it doesn't load at all. Usually, I'll see the PNG resolution in the upper right corner over a blank white screen. But when I click it at all, it just crashes. I even downloaded a new, more recent SMBX2, and it did the same thing.

2. Whenever I try to load a level, my screen gets stuck at the loading level data part.
Always stuck on this part, every single time. It doesn't happen with the newer levels I've been making, just the older ones really.

I don't know what to do, I really want to enjoy SMBX2 but if I'm going to have these issues, there's no way to.

deice
Bit
Bit

Re: Crashes and Freezes

Postby deice » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:48 pm

LunarCatUSA wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 am
1. Whenever I run the SMBX Launcher app, it doesn't load at all. Usually, I'll see the PNG resolution in the upper right corner over a blank white screen. But when I click it at all, it just crashes. I even downloaded a new, more recent SMBX2, and it did the same thing.
the launcher is sometimes weird like that. it used to not work for me at all on my old PC and would just hang as a suspended process no matter what. in order to play episodes, go into the "data" folder and open "LunaLoader.exe".
LunarCatUSA wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 am
2. Whenever I try to load a level, my screen gets stuck at the loading level data part.
it's possible that the levels have certain incompatibilities with the new version. try going to "data/PGE" and using "pge_maintainer.exe" to fix them (be sure to select the correct version, that being the one used to make those older levels)

LunarCatUSA
Bit
Bit

Postby LunarCatUSA » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Okay time for an update:
I did the PGE file conversion for levels but they still crash at the NPC loading part. But here's the thing, I loaded the levels that weren't in a custom graphic file folder just fine. So I'm wondering if it's an issue with NPC imaging format.

deice
Bit
Bit

Postby deice » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:09 am

LunarCatUSA wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Okay time for an update:
I did the PGE file conversion for levels but they still crash at the NPC loading part. But here's the thing, I loaded the levels that weren't in a custom graphic file folder just fine. So I'm wondering if it's an issue with NPC imaging format.
PGE should be able to support both gif and png formats (for the sake of backwards compatibility with smbx64 and previous versions) so while i doubt that's the issue, you could try using gifs2png (also within the PGE folder) to batch convert the images.

LunarCatUSA
Bit
Bit

Postby LunarCatUSA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:08 am

AHA! Found the problem! It's because I called one of the path files SMBX2.2 and I made the dreadful mistake of including a dot/period in the file path. Changed the name and now it's good!

Thanks everyone!

Added in 12 minutes 3 seconds:
Okay, so I looked into why the NPCs or files weren't loading. Apparently, the files are "unsynced" (I'm on an Acer) and aren't loading at all, so I need to deal with that first.

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:53 pm

LunarCatUSA wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:20 am
AHA! Found the problem! It's because I called one of the path files SMBX2.2 and I made the dreadful mistake of including a dot/period in the file path. Changed the name and now it's good!

Thanks everyone!

Added in 12 minutes 3 seconds:
Okay, so I looked into why the NPCs or files weren't loading. Apparently, the files are "unsynced" (I'm on an Acer) and aren't loading at all, so I need to deal with that first.
That's a weird bug... Could you write the full name of one of these files that caused this freeze? Error caused because of the filename is just nonsense... I should fix it, but at first, I should get it being reproduced on my side. Was that being a directory name? Of the name of a file? Was that a directory name that appeared through the full path?
SMBX for Android, Moondust Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

TheXTech - modern port of SMBX, also for Android
SMBX on TheXTech Topic

Moondust Project (aka PGE)
Moondust Project SMBX Topic

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

LunarCatUSA
Bit
Bit

Postby LunarCatUSA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:47 pm

Something to the effect of:

SMBX2.2 > SMBX2 > SMBX2.exe

- At this point the rectangular box pops up that would normally be the launcher but instead it doesn't load the image and crashes.

Now I change it:

SMBX2thesecond > SMBX2 > SMBX2.exe

- Menu box pops up showing me the episode load, editor load, character select, Mario and the Megan Avatar, etc.

Added in 41 seconds:
I believe Enji explained it in another post I came across; if I find it, I'll link you to it.

Wohlstand
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:21 pm

LunarCatUSA wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:47 pm
SMBX2.2 > SMBX2 > SMBX2.exe
I made a similar tree here on Linux, and this won't reproduce, Editor loads all stuff just fine... Will try on my Windows 7 VM...
SMBX for Android, Moondust Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

TheXTech - modern port of SMBX, also for Android
SMBX on TheXTech Topic

Moondust Project (aka PGE)
Moondust Project SMBX Topic

I'm support:
Lowser's Conquest by Sednaiur

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

Return to “Help and Support”