Need help with Customizing Characters in SMBX 2.0 B4

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Metrovania
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: *obligatory campaign plug*

Need help with Customizing Characters in SMBX 2.0 B4

Postby Metrovania » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Is it possible to use the PGE Player Calibrator to "re-animate" character's animations?

I imported this modified Big Mario "Character Sheet" into the calibrator:

(For the record, I know the Sheet is incomplete, I simply wanted to get the running animation working before moving on to the other stuff)

I went to Edit Animations, and emptied the frames out of all animations for facing either direction. The selected Run, set to Direction Right, and then selected each frame in order meaning the run animation looked like this:

X0-Y0
X1-Y0
X2-Y0
X3-Y0
X4-Y0
X5-Y0
X6-Y0
X7-Y0
X8-Y0
X9-Y0

I saved the configuration into the level file I was working on along with the Character Sheet itself and reloaded custom assets before testing.

In the end as far as I can tell nothing changed. Mario does indeed look different, and his hitbox was changed correctly, but it still seems to be animating mario using the default animations, meaning most of his run-cycle is just Red/Green with one frame being Wario.

Do I need to be using Lua? Cause' all I'm using right now is SMBX 2.0 B4 and the .ini files from the Calibrator. Any help would be appreciated!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Need help with Customizing Characters in SMBX 2.0 B4

Postby Enjl » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:10 pm

You need to use the panim library to program your animation cycles. Reason being that the game doesnt exactly know when you want your altered cycles to play so you need to find those conditions yourself.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Metrovania
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: *obligatory campaign plug*

Postby Metrovania » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:10 pm
You need to use the panim library to program your animation cycles. Reason being that the game doesnt exactly know when you want your altered cycles to play so you need to find those conditions yourself.
Well darn. I just looked at panim.lua and having no experience with lua, I have no idea what I'm looking at. Thanks anyway!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Some basegame characters use panim (or playeranim? i forget which one's the newer one tbh) to define their own cycles. Maybe examining their code can be helpful. Particularly Megaman I think programs a new run cycle for himself.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Return to “Help and Support”