"Styled" and "recolored" graphics - what's the difference?

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

"Styled" and "recolored" graphics - what's the difference?

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 am

I've seen this problem not just here, but this is also the case on many of the other SMBX forums on the internet, in particular in Graphics, particularly when it concerns modding them to prevent clashing. The problem in question is that there seems to be a major confusion between "styled" graphics and "recolored" graphics, and lots of people seem to use these terms as if they are the same. However, there is a fine line between the two, as shall be explained now:

The truth of the situation is, as blandly as it can be put, the two terms are actually not the same. "Recolored" graphics are basically the same graphic as before, but it has merely been edited just so it can use colours of the style that it is meant to imitate. "Styled" graphics, on the other hand, are completely different to recolored graphics; they look like exactly the same object they are meant to imitate, and their design has been radically changed in order to match that standard, as well as putting the colours on it as well.

You don't get me still? OK, let me demonstrate using images. Suppose I have a SMW blue pipe, as here:

There is nothing special about this pipe. It hasn't been tampered with, styled, recolored or anything. It is, in fact, styled like your average SMW pipe. But watch what happens when I try to apply the SMB3 palette to it so the colours have been altered...

Image (credit Chad for this - he used it in SMSE)

Looking closely, even though the colours have been altered so it looks like it would belong well in SMB3, it still possesses the exact design properties of the other SMW pipe I showed you earlier. It still has the same design of that pipe as well. In other words, the only thing that's changed is the colours - it has been recolored to SMB3's style, or as you would put it in the community, it's a "SMB3 recolor of a SMW blue pipe". However, it has not been styled to SMB3, as we will see now.

Turning to the Ultimate SMBX GFX Pack, we are able to find a graphic that still replaces this SMW pipe, but it is not the same graphic as the one directly above. It is completely different - it looks like it would originate in a SMB3 game. The graphic in question is in Legend-tony980's SMB3 recolor pack, but I found that the pipes are not strictly "recolored" but they are actually SMB3-styled, as we'll see here:

If you look really closely, this pipe actually uses exactly the same colours as the other recolored SMW pipe. It also looks like the pipes that can be seen in the SMB3 pane in SMBX's Blocks and Tiles window; in other words, it looks like an SMB3 pipe, whereas the other pipe still looks like an SMW pipe. This is an SMB3-styled SMW pipe.

Now I hope you've taken all this on board with you when you go around criticising graphics. Now go and criticise some graphics!...but preferably not in AVGN-style.
Last edited by HeroLinik on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Re: "Styled" and "recolored" graphics - what's the differenc

Postby zlaker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 am

This is actually very useful ofr those who can't the difference. This should be stickied.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

Karl Marx
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Getting a college degree

Postby Karl Marx » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:41 am

Yeah this is pretty thorough explanation.

Thusly, styled graphics usually require a lot more effort than recolored graphics, so keep that in mind when you request something

Natsu
Wart
Wart
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Shane

Postby Natsu » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:34 am

I think I stated the difference on my Tutorial about recoloring SMW stuff to SMB3, but I think a unique thread about it would help others get the difference. Of course, there are always people that refuse to read these things in order to act as they know everything. Anyway, good thread you have here, I'm sure it shall help others distinguish the difference.
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

Eternity
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Eternity » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:04 pm

I honestly disagree with the second example; if you look closely, quite a few changes were done to the SMW pipe to make it fit better with SMB3, the most obvious example being some of the shading, so I would consider it a SMB3-styled SMW Pipe personally. The last one also doesn't really look restyled, but just recolored. It doesn't seem to require as much effort as the second example, imo.

Other than that it is a helpful guide, but the examples are a bit weird.
aka Aeon.

Natsu
Wart
Wart
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Shane

Postby Natsu » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Aeon wrote:I honestly disagree with the second example; if you look closely, quite a few changes were done to the SMW pipe to make it fit better with SMB3, the most obvious example being some of the shading, so I would consider it a SMB3-styled SMW Pipe personally.
The shading obviously got to be changed so it would fit without clashing into a SMB3 atmosphere level, it's impossible to recolor a graphic to SMB3 without changing its shading.
Aeon wrote:The last one also doesn't really look restyled, but just recolored. It doesn't seem to require as much effort as the second example, imo.
I'd suggest you to take a closer look at it and compare it with both, SMW's and SMB3's version of the pipe, because there's a way bigger difference between both.
Aeon wrote:Other than that it is a helpful guide, but the examples are a bit weird.
Agree. :)
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: <3
Current Project: Nothing right now
Chat Username: Hatsune Blake

Thanks!

Postby Hatsune Blake » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:16 pm

That helps me out somewhat.
I do know some stuff on this topic,but I learned from this topic.

Wait...LEARNED?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo......
Hey. I don't really have anything to put here right now...

SuperYoshiLol
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: I think I got Cenx (Redigit's wife) to consider continuing SMBX. Let's hope for the best.

Postby SuperYoshiLol » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:01 pm

IMO styled graphics are superior just due to them being modified even the tiniest bit, while recolors are just changes of the color pallate.
I think I got Cenx (Redigit's wife) to consider continuing SMBX. Let's hope for the best.

NathanBros
Pokey
Pokey

Postby NathanBros » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Nice point bring to light, but I must agree with Eternity, one may get confused by the second pipe example as pixel content is altered to meet the shading standard.
Luigi Time!!!
Checkout my Mario blog (Portuguese): Jogos do Mario Bros.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:04 pm

I feel like a pipe is a bad example in general tbh, there are way better exampls bc a pipe is a fairly simple graphic.
im a girl yo

Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: <3
Current Project: Nothing right now
Chat Username: Hatsune Blake

Postby Hatsune Blake » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 pm

You guys really shouldn't bump.
Idk if you guys did bump but oh well.
Last edited by Aero on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User has been warned for this post.
Hey. I don't really have anything to put here right now...

UltraEpicLeader100
Rex
Rex
Flair: Expand Memes
Current Project: Another ?#&$*;! Super Mario World Style SMBX Episode
Chat Username: UltraEpicLeader100

Postby UltraEpicLeader100 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm

This is a bump so do not be alarmed!

as for the topic about the difference of Styled and Recolored is that if you recolor you just slap a different color to something and call it good and styling is you take something and change the style it is in like this for example:
Spoiler: show
Image ->Image
(well sorta...but you get the idea...)
Last edited by Squishy Rex on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered Image
I support:
I accept Nozomi Toujou as my Lord and Savior. If you do, then why not put this in your signature?

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:12 pm

UltraEpicLeader100 wrote:This is a bump so do not be alarmed!

as for the topic about the difference of Styled and Recolored is that if you recolor you just slap a different color to something and call it good and styling is you take something and change the style it is in like this for example:
Image ->Image (well sorta...but you get the idea...)
Thanks for literally repeating the op.
im a girl yo

UltraEpicLeader100
Rex
Rex
Flair: Expand Memes
Current Project: Another ?#&$*;! Super Mario World Style SMBX Episode
Chat Username: UltraEpicLeader100

Postby UltraEpicLeader100 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:18 am

Nickname wrote:
UltraEpicLeader100 wrote:This is a bump so do not be alarmed!

Image ->Image
(well sorta...but you get the idea...)
Thanks for literally repeating the op.
Your welcome...
I support:
I accept Nozomi Toujou as my Lord and Savior. If you do, then why not put this in your signature?

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:04 pm

UltraEpicLeader100 wrote:
Nickname wrote: Thanks for literally repeating the op.
Your welcome...
Please do not be rude to other users and in future, please put larger images in spoilers.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

suckhacker
Banned

Postby suckhacker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:00 pm

"style graphics" have had extra colors or features added.

"recolored graphics" are like if you use paint fill can to change existing colors. no other tools used.

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:24 am

suckhacker wrote:"style graphics" have had extra colors or features added.

"recolored graphics" are like if you use paint fill can to change existing colors. no other tools used.
Did you just read the title w/o reading the op and assumed it was a question?
im a girl yo

StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby StrikeForcer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm

I have been meaning to post in this for the past year but because of activity, I have the chance to say this: You have done a shit job on the second and third images because the second image, you have done slightly more than just a recolor (any addition of shades/tints to the basic image is no longer considered to be a recolor at its strictest) and the third image is just a recolored SMAS-SMB3 pipe. (Unless you want to skirt your definitions around if you consider the second image to be a recolor of the loosest sense.)

Castlewars, use this as the third image because it is an actual SMW pipe that uses the texture from SMAS-SMB3.
Join Insectduel's forum today!: http://insectduel.proboards.com/

Arceus88
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: A 2in1 compilation episode: Bowser's Adventure + Arceus88's Boss Rush

Postby Arceus88 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 am

I think styled is for other games and Recoloured is for recoloring the current graphic, or are both the same. I don't know why I'm bothering to say this. Yes, they sound and look the same.
Please try my project (I'm begging you. :( ). The full version will be released in Middle or Late 2016.
Note: The boss rush will be available in the release, so it's not yet available.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Arceus88 wrote:I think styled is for other games and Recoloured is for recoloring the current graphic, or are both the same. I don't know why I'm bothering to say this. Yes, they sound and look the same.
That's what I was essentially trying to say. I went in depth because some people still don't get it.
Styled: make it look like it came from another game
Recoloured: keep the same style but use different colours on it
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Return to “Graphics”