This contest runs from April 22nd, 7PM UTC until Monday May 30th, 7PM UTC (2PM EDT)
This contest uses SMBX2 Beta 4 Patch 4.1 Hotfix
What is a vanilla contest?
The term "Vanilla" means using only out-of-the-box assets when making your level. For the purposes of this contest, this means that you may not use any custom graphics, txt files, lua scripts or sound effect overrides. The ONLY CUSTOM THING
you are allowed to use is custom music, because as good as Fleet Gilde is as a song, it might not do well at getting the mood of your level across.
You know what they say, limits breed creativity! The tools you have at your disposal in this contest (Layers, events, the spawn algorithm
- The results and an episode including all submissions will be released simultaneously, a few weeks after submissions close
- Teams are allowed, cooperation is encouraged
- You may only submit one level
, make it count!
- As previously outlined: SMBX38A is disallowed. The most recent version of SMBX2 is encouraged.
- You may use any characters you like, and any exit types you like. Bowser end game flags will be brutally removed.
- You may have 1 or 2 exits in your level.
- Please make sure your music paths work. This is best ensured by testing after every change, even after renaming folders or moving files around, and then correcting any issues that came up.
- The episode will provide a set of palace switch toggles. You may use the 4 colors of palace switches in your levels, but you may not make them toggleable from within your level.
- Disqualifications will be handed out if....
-- It's very obvious that no attempt was made
-- The level is not by the author
-- The level is unbeatable or unreasonably difficult
-- The level contains crude, inappropriate or offensive content
-- All the judges agree that the level was submitted in bad faith
Great, how do I submit?
In order to submit a level to the contest, you will post the level in the submission
topic and follow the guidelines outlined in it. If you have any questions about them, post them HERE and NOT in the submissions thread!
Also, will I get any fancy rewards?
- There will be trophies (userbars) crafted for the top 3 placements.
- Additionally, every participant has a chance to obtain individualized trophies handed out by the judges, similar to the trophies of the mystery contest.
- Trophies will be awarded by the judges based on stand-out performances, be it "highest score", "best story", "best aesthetics", "most funny" or anything else suitable. Some judges might award trophies they find humourous, too. Even levels that get a low score can earn such trophies by having cool elements or being otherwise remarkable!
- Every trophy will be visually designed as a little nugget you can put into your signature. Gotta catch 'em all!
- A single level can obtain multiple trophies.
That is all, Good luck!