SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
User avatar
TakeTheL08
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:55 am
Flair: I'm a youtuber.
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby TakeTheL08 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:37 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:43 pm
MrDoubleA wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:48 pm
Come to think of it, what actually is the point of game overs in smbx? When the game is saved after beating every level, game overs are just a longer, more annoying, death animation.
The only thing they've ever done is trash checkpoint progress in a level. Honestly, I tend to prefer disabling lives in general for this exact reason.
How about saving game overs?
Y E S

User avatar
Wiimeiser
Blooper
Blooper
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 am
Flair: What?

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Wiimeiser » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:14 am

TakeTheL08 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:37 am
Hoeloe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:43 pm
MrDoubleA wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:48 pm
Come to think of it, what actually is the point of game overs in smbx? When the game is saved after beating every level, game overs are just a longer, more annoying, death animation.
The only thing they've ever done is trash checkpoint progress in a level. Honestly, I tend to prefer disabling lives in general for this exact reason.
How about saving game overs?
I think Paper Mario: The Origami King did that and it affected the ending.

DisasterMaster
Bit
Bit
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:01 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby DisasterMaster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm

I found a bug with the Phanto NPC. If a Phanto is placed on a layer that is hidden, then a player picks up a Key (or any NPC that causes the Phanto to pursue), and then the Phanto's layer is revealed, the Phanto will be unable to harm the player.

I have only tried this with the standard Phanto though.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
MrDoubleA
Snifit
Snifit
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby MrDoubleA » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:07 pm

DisasterMaster wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm
I found a bug with the Phanto NPC. If a Phanto is placed on a layer that is hidden, then a player picks up a Key (or any NPC that causes the Phanto to pursue), and then the Phanto's layer is revealed, the Phanto will be unable to harm the player.

I have only tried this with the standard Phanto though.
On the note of phanto bugs, they won't chase after you if got the key by stabbing it as link.
Hi. I make some stuff.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
Extended Koopas

Image diagonal!

I support: show
Image
Image


Image

DisasterMaster
Bit
Bit
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:01 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby DisasterMaster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Might as well go for the hat-trick of Phanto bugs...

When you pick up a Key that activates a Phanto, then warp transition to a new section where the Phanto pursues you to, then kick that Key into a pit, then go back to the original section and pick up that Key, the Phanto will not activate and pursue you again.

If that was too long-winded, here is a gif to explain:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

ben
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby ben » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm

I would be happy if after the release of SMBX 2.0.0 - whenever that will be - sometime after that there will be a tutorial about the Level Editor in this version on YouTube by someone from this forum.

I would find that helpful for me and would enjoy watching it. :)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 9116
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:41 pm

ben wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm
I would be happy if after the release of SMBX 2.0.0 - whenever that will be - sometime after that there will be a tutorial about the Level Editor in this version on YouTube by someone from this forum.

I would find that helpful for me and would enjoy watching it. :)
this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBly6qw ... urk0h00410
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

ben
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby ben » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Thank you EnjI. :)

Unfortunately I didn't think of writing that I also like to see a tutorial for the World Editor in version 2.0.0. :|

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 9116
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Enjl » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm

ben wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:55 pm
Thank you EnjI. :)

Unfortunately I didn't think of writing that I also like to see a tutorial for the World Editor in version 2.0.0. :|
Like 80% of this video applies to the world editor, too. The rest is all stuff that hasn't changed from 1.3
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

User avatar
Metrovania
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:07 pm
Flair: *obligatory campaign plug*

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Metrovania » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:00 am

Could a feature be added to allow the player to set Clear Pipe Launchers to run an event when launched out of? Like a little tick box/menu? There really aren't any ways to run events at specific times while the player is in a Clear Pipe, since the player doesn't interact with invisible triggers while pipe surfing.

Actually come to think of it, maybe the player could just interact with Invisible triggers while in clear pipes?

ben
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby ben » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm
Like 80% of this video applies to the world editor, too. The rest is all stuff that hasn't changed from 1.3
Thank you EnjI. :)

I would like to use probably mostly the pictorial from this tutorial because English is not my native language.
Last edited by ben on Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wiimeiser
Blooper
Blooper
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 am
Flair: What?

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Wiimeiser » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:50 pm

Metrovania wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:00 am
Could a feature be added to allow the player to set Clear Pipe Launchers to run an event when launched out of? Like a little tick box/menu? There really aren't any ways to run events at specific times while the player is in a Clear Pipe, since the player doesn't interact with invisible triggers while pipe surfing.

Actually come to think of it, maybe the player could just interact with Invisible triggers while in clear pipes?
Invisible triggers in general need to ditch their collision and be able to be placed anywhere like a BGO, though I'm not sure if that's possible...

Also, after randomly seeing this thread I wonder about screen scrolling pipes. I know you guys said clear pipes will fill that gap, but there are still limitations. For example, if I have an intersection, any direction is fair game (unless you're Uncle Broadsword, still no idea what's going on there), while we're on the subject of clear pipes, in SM3DW there were pipes that forced you in a direction at an intersection, can those be made? Though then what would happen if the player went back?

User avatar
Hoeloe
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:13 pm

I believe you can do that with Redirectors.

User avatar
Wiimeiser
Blooper
Blooper
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 am
Flair: What?

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Wiimeiser » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm

I just tried. It works, kind of, but it only changes the default direction, you can still override it.

EDIT: Also, screen wrapping doesn't work with clear pipes (you end up exiting and treating the pipes as a solid block) and if you enter or exit a clear pipe that's facing a solid block, even if it's in a non-solid state, you turn around no matter what. Also, you can't go through instant or portal warps after being shot out of a pipe cannon.

User avatar
MrDoubleA
Snifit
Snifit
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby MrDoubleA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:19 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm
I just tried. It works, kind of, but it only changes the default direction, you can still override it.

EDIT: Also, screen wrapping doesn't work with clear pipes (you end up exiting and treating the pipes as a solid block) and if you enter or exit a clear pipe that's facing a solid block, even if it's in a non-solid state, you turn around no matter what. Also, you can't go through instant or portal warps after being shot out of a pipe cannon.
Wrapping does work with it, you just have to continue it on out of bounds a bit.
Hi. I make some stuff.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
Extended Koopas

Image diagonal!

I support: show
Image
Image


Image

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4612
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Electriking » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:42 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm
I just tried. It works, kind of, but it only changes the default direction, you can still override it.

EDIT: Also, screen wrapping doesn't work with clear pipes (you end up exiting and treating the pipes as a solid block)
Image
GIF that demonstrates how you can force the player in a direction in clear pipes, as well as that clear pipes do work with screen wrapping if the pipes extend one block beyond the section boundary (and you should always extend any blocks the player/NPCs interact with where the screen wraps 1 block beyond the section boundary anyway, otherwise it will be glitchy).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.

User avatar
Metrovania
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:07 pm
Flair: *obligatory campaign plug*

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Metrovania » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am

Actually on the subject of Clear Pipes I found what appears to be a bug. When an event is run while you're in a clear pipe, any events set to be triggered by said event only run after you exit the pipe. This also applies to the Delay, so if an event were to be run while I was in a pipe that runs ANOTHER event 2 seconds later, the second event would run 2 seconds after I'd to exit the pipe.

User avatar
MrDoubleA
Snifit
Snifit
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby MrDoubleA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 am

Metrovania wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am
Actually on the subject of Clear Pipes I found what appears to be a bug. When an event is run while you're in a clear pipe, any events set to be triggered by said event only run after you exit the pipe. This also applies to the Delay, so if an event were to be run while I was in a pipe that runs ANOTHER event 2 seconds later, the second event would run 2 seconds after I'd to exit the pipe.
Both layers and events pause while in a clear pipe.
Hi. I make some stuff.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
Extended Koopas

Image diagonal!

I support: show
Image
Image


Image

User avatar
Metrovania
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:07 pm
Flair: *obligatory campaign plug*

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Metrovania » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am

MrDoubleA wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 am
Metrovania wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am
Actually on the subject of Clear Pipes I found what appears to be a bug. When an event is run while you're in a clear pipe, any events set to be triggered by said event only run after you exit the pipe. This also applies to the Delay, so if an event were to be run while I was in a pipe that runs ANOTHER event 2 seconds later, the second event would run 2 seconds after I'd to exit the pipe.
Both layers and events pause while in a clear pipe.
Is that intentional design? It makes using Clear Pipes a bit of a hassle in certain circumstances...

User avatar
MrDoubleA
Snifit
Snifit
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am
Pronouns: he/him
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby MrDoubleA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:20 pm

Metrovania wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am
MrDoubleA wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 am
Metrovania wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am
Actually on the subject of Clear Pipes I found what appears to be a bug. When an event is run while you're in a clear pipe, any events set to be triggered by said event only run after you exit the pipe. This also applies to the Delay, so if an event were to be run while I was in a pipe that runs ANOTHER event 2 seconds later, the second event would run 2 seconds after I'd to exit the pipe.
Both layers and events pause while in a clear pipe.
Is that intentional design? It makes using Clear Pipes a bit of a hassle in certain circumstances...
It's not a bug per-se, since the clear pipe state is very similar to the power up/down animation (in which case you would want them to pause).
The devs could fix it by making it use FORCEDSTATE_PIPE and forcing the timer to be -1 rather than FORCEDSTATE_DOOR, but that could break compatibility with some scripts attempting to detect clear pipes.
Hi. I make some stuff.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
Extended Koopas

Image diagonal!

I support: show
Image
Image


Image


Return to “LunaLua”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SpoonyBardOL and 3 guests