SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
User avatar
Ninji2701
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 pm
Current Project: Mario's Quest

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Ninji2701 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 pm

I like the new changes from SMBX2β4, although I would like to suggest one slight improvement for the full release of SMBX2. Would it be possible to make it so that .nsf files would play the track specified in the header, instead of always playing track 1 no matter what? Even better would be if selecting a .nsf file would open a sub‐dialog allowing the creator to specify which track to use. It's really annoying that I can't use chiptune NES songs due to this as is causes the filesize of episodes to increase dramatically. This could also work for other multi‐track sound formats, but I think .nsf would be the most common due to SMB1, SMB2, & SMB3 all being released originally on the NES.
<p>Does this support HTML markup?</p>
<!--It probably doesn't-->

Mʏ Pʀᴏᴊᴇᴄᴛ
Image

User avatar
Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:17 am

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Quantumenace » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Some issues with the explosion recode:
PAL version:
Image

Beta 4: The explosion no longer chains a combo score.
Image

It also has the issue of the hit effect appearing in a strange place.
Image

rednaxela
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby rednaxela » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 am

Ninji2701 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 pm
I like the new changes from SMBX2β4, although I would like to suggest one slight improvement for the full release of SMBX2. Would it be possible to make it so that .nsf files would play the track specified in the header, instead of always playing track 1 no matter what? Even better would be if selecting a .nsf file would open a sub‐dialog allowing the creator to specify which track to use. It's really annoying that I can't use chiptune NES songs due to this as is causes the filesize of episodes to increase dramatically. This could also work for other multi‐track sound formats, but I think .nsf would be the most common due to SMB1, SMB2, & SMB3 all being released originally on the NES.
You can already specify tracks within multi-track emulator music formats like nsf. See here: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SDL_Mixer_X#Path_arguments
You basically add "|tracknum" to the music filename, with 0 as the first track. So |1 for second track, or |2 for third track, etc. It's not the most user-friendly thing, but it should work.

Quantumenace wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 pm
Some issues with the explosion recode:
Ah, I have a good idea what's going on there. Should be able to include fix in the upcoming patch 2 easily enough.
Last edited by rednaxela on Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long signatures are ungood.

User avatar
Ninji2701
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 pm
Current Project: Mario's Quest

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Ninji2701 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:10 am

rednaxela wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 am
Ninji2701 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 pm
I like the new changes from SMBX2β4, although I would like to suggest one slight improvement for the full release of SMBX2. Would it be possible to make it so that .nsf files would play the track specified in the header, instead of always playing track 1 no matter what? Even better would be if selecting a .nsf file would open a sub‐dialog allowing the creator to specify which track to use. It's really annoying that I can't use chiptune NES songs due to this as is causes the filesize of episodes to increase dramatically. This could also work for other multi‐track sound formats, but I think .nsf would be the most common due to SMB1, SMB2, & SMB3 all being released originally on the NES.
You can already specify tracks within multi-track emulator music formats like nsf. See here: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SDL_Mixer_X#Path_arguments
You basically add "|tracknum" to the music filename, with 0 as the first track. So |1 for second track, or |2 for third track, etc. It's not the most user-friendly thing, but it should work.
Thanks for making me aware of this feature!
<p>Does this support HTML markup?</p>
<!--It probably doesn't-->

Mʏ Pʀᴏᴊᴇᴄᴛ
Image

User avatar
Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:17 am

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Quantumenace » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:34 pm

rednaxela wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 am
Ah, I have a good idea what's going on there. Should be able to include fix in the upcoming patch 2 easily enough.
Another minor thing about the code is that the "BOMB" effect appears in front of the score, which could probably be fixed easily by creating the explosion effect before damaging the NPCs instead of after. Thanks for the good work!

User avatar
Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Quantumenace wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:34 pm
rednaxela wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 am
Ah, I have a good idea what's going on there. Should be able to include fix in the upcoming patch 2 easily enough.
Another minor thing about the code is that the "BOMB" effect appears in front of the score, which could probably be fixed easily by creating the explosion effect before damaging the NPCs instead of after. Thanks for the good work!

That's actually not easily fixed. The reason for this is the fact that explosions are cancellable, and that it's now possible to spawn the hitbox without an associated effect. I'm not really sure what would be the way to adjust this.

User avatar
Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Chanceux2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:31 pm
Quantumenace wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:34 pm
rednaxela wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 am
Ah, I have a good idea what's going on there. Should be able to include fix in the upcoming patch 2 easily enough.
Another minor thing about the code is that the "BOMB" effect appears in front of the score, which could probably be fixed easily by creating the explosion effect before damaging the NPCs instead of after. Thanks for the good work!

That's actually not easily fixed. The reason for this is the fact that explosions are cancellable, and that it's now possible to spawn the hitbox without an associated effect. I'm not really sure what would be the way to adjust this.
That bug confused me when it happened to me.

User avatar
Amyrakunejo
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 am
Flair: Philosophical, Pagan, Anarchist Lady Fair Gamer
Current Project: Ramsey (VX Ace), retro gaming binge, DOOM/monster infighting (lolz)
Chat Username: Amyrakunejo

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Amyrakunejo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:26 pm

I didn't know that explosions triggered NPC container boxes...
Amyrakunejo, Femme Fair Gamer, Bassist, Vocalist, In-Your-Face Screamer, Gynesexual
And at night she whispers, Ride the Wind, never comin' back 'til I touch the midnight sun...

What my POTATO PC can run with little to no issues:
SMBX 1.3
SMBX 2 Beta 3
What it struggles with:
NSMBX
SMBX 2 Beta 4

User avatar
Yey
Banned
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 pm
Chat Username: .

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Yey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 pm

Not sure how feasible this is, but would it be at all possible for a future update to allow importing video files (specifically stuff like MP4s, FLVs, etc)? Like, yeah, yeah, I already know that we can make cutscenes in the base game through complicated means, but it'd be cool if pre-made videos could be set to play at certain points in a level/world map (whether by LunaLua, an event, or something else entirely, IDK), feel like it could add a bit of flavor to an episode.

User avatar
Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Chanceux2 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Yey wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 pm
Not sure how feasible this is, but would it be at all possible for a future update to allow importing video files (specifically stuff like MP4s, FLVs, etc)? Like, yeah, yeah, I already know that we can make cutscenes in the base game through complicated means, but it'd be cool if pre-made videos could be set to play at certain points in a level/world map (whether by LunaLua, an event, or something else entirely, IDK), feel like it could add a bit of flavor to an episode.
They could use MP4 FLVs, and etcs. It's a smart idea.

User avatar
DrMekar
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 am
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter Remade (MH1.5)
Chat Username: Doc
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby DrMekar » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Yey wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 pm
Not sure how feasible this is, but would it be at all possible for a future update to allow importing video files (specifically stuff like MP4s, FLVs, etc)? Like, yeah, yeah, I already know that we can make cutscenes in the base game through complicated means, but it'd be cool if pre-made videos could be set to play at certain points in a level/world map (whether by LunaLua, an event, or something else entirely, IDK), feel like it could add a bit of flavor to an episode.
I think this would be to complicated. I think the highest possibilty would be to import Gifs at some
point for Cutscenes or fake TVs.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

My Episodes & Projects:
ImageImage


If you want to support my Projects, put this in your signature. Thanks :)
Spoiler: show

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25110[/url]
Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 GM

Image

User avatar
Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Chanceux2 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:38 pm

DrMekar wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm
Yey wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 pm
Not sure how feasible this is, but would it be at all possible for a future update to allow importing video files (specifically stuff like MP4s, FLVs, etc)? Like, yeah, yeah, I already know that we can make cutscenes in the base game through complicated means, but it'd be cool if pre-made videos could be set to play at certain points in a level/world map (whether by LunaLua, an event, or something else entirely, IDK), feel like it could add a bit of flavor to an episode.
I think this would be to complicated. I think the highest possibilty would be to import Gifs at some
point for Cutscenes or fake TVs.
Thats a good point too

User avatar
SPEEDIE
Bit
Bit
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:22 pm
Flair: Avatar is what life should be like.
Current Project: A SMBX Episode
Chat Username: SPEEDIE
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby SPEEDIE » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:46 am

So I tried to save a level with 24 sections (i know this doesn't work in .lvl formats) but I saved it in .lvlx and it just crashes.
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Image

Finished Projects:

Image

Ongoing Projects:

None, however I am updating A SMBX Episode sometimes.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6037
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Current Project: CCX1 level

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Cedur » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:50 am

It doesn't work in .lvlx either. It probably never will.

What do you even need 24 sections for?
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshi's are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Current Project: Project planned; waiting for SMBX2 Beta 4

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Murphmario » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Just split one section into multiple areas and use Camera Zones to separate said areas.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

User avatar
SPEEDIE
Bit
Bit
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:22 pm
Flair: Avatar is what life should be like.
Current Project: A SMBX Episode
Chat Username: SPEEDIE
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby SPEEDIE » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Cedur wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:50 am
It doesn't work in .lvlx either. It probably never will.

What do you even need 24 sections for?
Well I don't need it anymore, either way, when the error popped up, it told me that saving in .lvlx would work, which is why I thought it was a bug, so apparently PGE allows it but not SMBX I guess.
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Image

Finished Projects:

Image

Ongoing Projects:

None, however I am updating A SMBX Episode sometimes.

User avatar
Blade King
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Blade King » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Hello, need help, when I click "Play" in the launcher gives me an error: "failed to patch SMBX", what I have to do?

User avatar
SPEEDIE
Bit
Bit
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:22 pm
Flair: Avatar is what life should be like.
Current Project: A SMBX Episode
Chat Username: SPEEDIE
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby SPEEDIE » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Oh and also, the WLDX format is broken. I wanted to put rain all over the map, but I guess I can't unless I split it which is something I do not want to do because I will probably change it alot.
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Image

Finished Projects:

Image

Ongoing Projects:

None, however I am updating A SMBX Episode sometimes.

User avatar
mcnakahr
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here! BUG FOUND

Postby mcnakahr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm

:!: Potential bug found in Beta 4 Patch 1!
What is it? The "If Layer is Empty" trigger doesn't always work.
Why is it important? For some people who use the classic event system, this issue makes it impossible for chained events to work that rely on this trigger.
What could be causing it? I've observed sometimes one or two npcs get despawned while off-screen. When this occurs the game still thinks they are on the layer when they have been despawned making them not anywhere. and forcing the "If Layer is Empty" trigger to always be false.
To reproduce: (Not 100% reproducible all the time but this happens 75% of the time)
Resize a section so it has to scroll to show the whole area.
Create an event to use, have it do anything you wish.
Create a layer to put enemy npcs on. (For this purpose it's called enemy)
Place npc(s) on layers enemy spacing them apart so some of the enemy npcs can move off screen.
Set each npc's "If Layer is Empty" trigger to trigger the event you created.
Play Test the level and kill the npc enemies, letting a few off screen for a couple seconds to despawn.
Note: The odd despawning seems to happen if an enemy npc is off-screen for 2 seconds or more and the "If Layer is Empty" trigger is ignored completely if the npc changes to another npc on death (ex. Variations of Chargin' Chucks, para-koopas, Rex, etc.)

(Edited for clarification.)

User avatar
DrMekar
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 am
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter Remade (MH1.5)
Chat Username: Doc
Contact:

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here! BUG FOUND

Postby DrMekar » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 pm

mcnakahr wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm
:!: Potential bug found in Beta 4 Patch 1!
What is it? The "If Layer is Empty" trigger doesn't always work.
Why is it important? For some people who use the classic event system, this issue makes it impossible for chained events to work that rely on this trigger.
What could be causing it? I've observed sometimes one or two npcs get despawned while off-screen. When this occurs the game still thinks they are on the layer when they have been despawned making them not anywhere. and forcing the "If Layer is Empty" trigger to always be false.
To reproduce: (Not 100% reproducible all the time but this happens 75% of the time)
Resize a section so it has to scroll to show the whole area.
Create an event to use, have it do anything you wish.
Create a layer to put enemy npcs on. (For this purpose it's called enemy)
Place npc(s) on layers enemy spacing them apart so some of the enemy npcs can move off screen.
Set each npc's "If Layer is Empty" trigger to trigger the event you created.
Play Test the level and kill the npc enemies, letting a few off screen for a couple seconds to despawn.
Note: The odd despawning seems to happen if an enemy npc is off-screen for 2 seconds or more and the "If Layer is Empty" trigger is ignored completely if the npc changes to another npc on death (ex. Variations of Chargin' Chucks, para-koopas, Rex, etc.)

(Edited for clarification.)
That Bug already was in 1.3. Used to happen alot with Snifits.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

My Episodes & Projects:
ImageImage


If you want to support my Projects, put this in your signature. Thanks :)
Spoiler: show

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25110[/url]
Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 GM

Image


Return to “LunaLua”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests